+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 127
General Chat Thread, Benefit Culture in General; Originally Posted by Rydra -Think of all the ipad app developers who make primary school apps. No more "Sheep goes ...
  1. #91

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    -Think of all the ipad app developers who make primary school apps. No more "Sheep goes BAAAAA!" We'll just have a whole board of varied fart noises with tags to which plant made that particular variant.
    I'm sorry, have you seen the vast majority of fart sound apps on the app store, they will go from strength to strength

  2. #92
    JoeBloggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    544
    Thank Post
    160
    Thanked 75 Times in 52 Posts
    Rep Power
    35
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Now, has that covered everything? This fence is really quite uncomfortable - how does @GrumbleDook do it?
    He likes talking, he gets to talk twice as much being on the fence.

  3. Thanks to JoeBloggs from:

    Netman (3rd November 2011)

  4. #93


    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    3,411
    Thank Post
    184
    Thanked 356 Times in 285 Posts
    Rep Power
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    This fence is really quite uncomfortable
    I think you're sitting on it wrong

  5. #94

    MK-2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Nottingham
    Posts
    3,237
    Thank Post
    149
    Thanked 581 Times in 307 Posts
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    I think you're sitting on it wrong
    Congratulations on your new job at Apple

  6. 4 Thanks to MK-2:

    GrumbleDook (3rd November 2011), j17sparky (3rd November 2011), Tech1 (4th November 2011), webman (3rd November 2011)

  7. #95

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,116
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 207 Times in 157 Posts
    Rep Power
    170
    So, did anyone see "The Great British Food Revival" last night? ... That piece of Longhorn forerib of beef looked wonderful, must go and get myself a piece of that.

    Last edited by HarryMonkey; 3rd November 2011 at 11:22 AM.

  8. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

    bossman (3rd November 2011)

  9. #96


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,225
    Thank Post
    150
    Thanked 238 Times in 164 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    I held a LAN party back in the day.......three Norwegian guys came over, two of them were ex-elk slaughterers, hunters, whatever, and they brought (clandestinely or otherwise, not sure of that) some elk steaks they'd frozen the week before. After they'd been defrosted, marinated for 24 hours, and put on the BBQ, they were the nearest thing to Heaven that I've ever tasted. With the possible exception of chocolate ice-cream.

    Apropos of nothing at all, really, the third was a Headteacher.

    Hey, Jay-Hawk<TZW>, if you're on this forum, you know who this is

  10. #97

    GrumbleDook's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Gosport, Hampshire
    Posts
    9,930
    Thank Post
    1,337
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries
    19
    Rep Power
    594
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeBloggs View Post
    He likes talking, he gets to talk twice as much being on the fence.
    Yes, that is very true ... talking about both sides does mean you tend to write longer and more protracted posts, taking a balanced view and being able to point out matching arguments. On the other hand the fact that I have to write twice as much everything, including considering the best ways of preventing getting splinters in my backside ... and there are two thoughts on that matter ... does tend to lead you down the route of insanity.

    Which makes it easier ...

    I now longer have to think hard about this ... instead it is just a transcript of the discussion of the voices in my head ... and it gets noisy in there.

  11. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

    JoeBloggs (3rd November 2011)

  12. #98
    Guest

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    3,754
    Thank Post
    1,458
    Thanked 489 Times in 375 Posts
    Rep Power
    0
    Reminds me of an article down my way on our local news site. A family were appealing to the District Council to put a new boiler in their council house because the heating was not warming the house up & the "hot" water was not hot. Their youngest had to go to bed wrapped in a blanket, all other family members wore jackets and jumpers to bed, rooms were full of damp and mould etc. It was a really long winded sob story which started to tug on a heart string.

    Next to the article was a photo of the family outside their house with "sad" expressions. Every family member was wearing a 60 Superdry hoodie.

    Almost every comment under the story was to the effect of "If you can afford expensive, branded clothes, you can buy your own boiler."

    I have to agree...
    Last edited by Rawns; 3rd November 2011 at 01:49 PM.

  13. Thanks to Rawns from:

    bossman (3rd November 2011)

  14. #99

    HarryMonkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Bedford
    Posts
    1,116
    Thank Post
    54
    Thanked 207 Times in 157 Posts
    Rep Power
    170
    However, they pay their rent and as such are entitled to have the maintenance on such things done by the housing association/council/landlord. I'm sure that if these were private tenants and teh landlord had told them to buy their own boiler, there would be a greater sympathy for them. Regardless of what they choose to wear, they are entitled to a level of service from their landlord.

  15. Thanks to HarryMonkey from:

    Earthling (3rd November 2011)

  16. #100

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    So, if land is growing maize, it can't possibly grow anything else? You know how preposterous that sounds?
    It depends on access to water (and irrigation), pH, soil depth, slope, access to machinery, and so on.

    Well done, you've managed to choose small scale thinking as your method of argument. Those areas of land do not make up the majority of land in use for agriculture. Stop thinking 'this bit of land here is basically sheet rock, it ain't any good for farming' and start thinking that 29% of the planet is land. Sure, a good amount of that is unsuitable for some produce or other, but to say that crop farming is not possible on all that land that is used for animals? That's ridiculous to the extreme.
    I didn't say that. What I said was that your blanket assumption that all land being used for animals could be used for crops was wrong. There's a really good reason why farmers raise livestock on some land and arable on others.

    OK. Now I know you're just being a troll. You do realise that a farmer will have experience of his land, his crops and his animals. So, they are NOT an expert on farming in general. They are not an expert on getting the most out of the world's land. No, people that spend their lives studying worldwide farming techniques, land use and the like are experts on this sort of thing.
    Nothing trollicious about that statement. You're telling us all here that land management is best understood at a macro level. All well and good, but how does that equate to the micro level which is where the actual farming takes place? Unless your clever men and women with years of experience of university life actually know about farming, all the conferences and pieces of paper in the world won't help them, because they'll get it horribly wrong.


    Your argument is like saying that because I work on the ground in a school doing IT, I therefore should be in charge of IT globally, and know everything there is to know about IT...
    No, I'm saying that if you assume that the only people who know anything about farming are researchers with Phds, you are deluded. You remind me of Roderick Spode from Jeeves and Wooster, telling everyone that the whole of Herefordshire would be turned over to the production of beetroot, and that it had all 'been scientifically worked out'. Forgive me if I have more faith in the people who work the land to know what it's capable of.

    Genuine question - how much time have you spent on farms and around farmers?

  17. #101


    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    1,225
    Thank Post
    150
    Thanked 238 Times in 164 Posts
    Rep Power
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    However, they pay their rent and as such are entitled to have the maintenance on such things done by the housing association/council/landlord. I'm sure that if these were private tenants and teh landlord had told them to buy their own boiler, there would be a greater sympathy for them. Regardless of what they choose to wear, they are entitled to a level of service from their landlord.
    Spot on there, geezer

  18. #102

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,635
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Nothing trollicious about that statement. You're telling us all here that land management is best understood at a macro level. All well and good, but how does that equate to the micro level which is where the actual farming takes place? Unless your clever men and women with years of experience of university life actually know about farming, all the conferences and pieces of paper in the world won't help them, because they'll get it horribly wrong.

    No, I'm saying that if you assume that the only people who know anything about farming are researchers with Phds, you are deluded. You remind me of Roderick Spode from Jeeves and Wooster, telling everyone that the whole of Herefordshire would be turned over to the production of beetroot, and that it had all 'been scientifically worked out'. Forgive me if I have more faith in the people who work the land to know what it's capable of.

    Genuine question - how much time have you spent on farms and around farmers?
    Question for you - how do researchers do their work? Do you think they spend their lives sat in offices thinking? No, they speak to farmers, they speak to other experts, they do experiments, they grow crops, they farm etc...

    My point is quite clear - a single farmer has the experience of a single person. A researcher will gather that knowledge and use it to form their conclusions.

    And yes, I grew up in a place where farmers were everywhere, I have lots of farming friends.

  19. #103

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Question for you - how do researchers do their work? Do you think they spend their lives sat in offices thinking? No, they speak to farmers, they speak to other experts, they do experiments, they grow crops, they farm etc...

    My point is quite clear - a single farmer has the experience of a single person. A researcher will gather that knowledge and use it to form their conclusions.
    Actually, that's only become your point recently. Your early point was that farmers should only farm arable because meat was using up 'too many resources'. We've ended up on this argument because of your relentless refusal to accept that farmers rear livestock on some land because it's no good for crops.

    And yes, I grew up in a place where farmers were everywhere, I have lots of farming friends.
    You don't seem to credit them with much ability to farm.

  20. #104

    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    631
    Thank Post
    52
    Thanked 106 Times in 76 Posts
    Rep Power
    63
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenewman View Post
    So, did anyone see "The Great British Food Revival" last night? ... That piece of Longhorn forerib of beef looked wonderful, must go and get myself a piece of that.

    I missed it last night, unfortunately. The week before was pears and garlic, and the footage shown was filmed in Tonbridge in Kent, which is where I live. The pears and apples here, of course, are the finest in the country.

  21. #105

    localzuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Minehead
    Posts
    17,635
    Thank Post
    514
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    24
    Rep Power
    831
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatpackhamster View Post
    Actually, that's only become your point recently. Your early point was that farmers should only farm arable because meat was using up 'too many resources'. We've ended up on this argument because of your relentless refusal to accept that farmers rear livestock on some land because it's no good for crops.
    No, my point from earlier still stands!

    You don't seem to credit them with much ability to farm.
    They can farm just fine, on the farm they're used to, in the country they're used to. Why don't you understand this? Take a British farmer, someone who has only farmed on British soil, and plonk them in Afghanistan, and tell them to set up a farm there. They wouldn't have a clue. How about if you got a farmer from the paddy fields in China and got him to come over here and farm rapeseed? Not a chance. Which is what I said about your argument like being about an IT person knowing everything about IT simply because he knows his own segment of the market.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. School agreement benefits!
    By localzuk in forum Windows
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 6th May 2009, 11:14 AM
  2. Benefit of using wireless g only?
    By rocknrollstar in forum Wireless Networks
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30th January 2009, 01:21 PM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last Post: 16th September 2008, 06:23 PM
  4. Hampshire Pay-And-Benefits 'project'
    By Stese in forum General Chat
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 24th April 2007, 01:32 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •