+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Benefit Culture in General; Originally Posted by localzuk <snipp....>Or getting statistics from government departments studying land use etc... <....etty snip> Quote from previous Governments ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    <snipp....>Or getting statistics from government departments studying land use etc...

<....etty snip>
    Quote from previous Governments

Quote Details: Benjamin Disraeli: There are three kinds... - The Quotations Page

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,441 Times in 1,889 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    How clever. You manage to take something out of context and make a glib comment. Well done. *pats Earthling on the head*.
    Last edited by localzuk; 3rd November 2011 at 08:53 AM. Reason: fix mistake that should come with a firing squad as punishment!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 749 Posts
    @pcstru:

Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    So yes, benefits cheats. Absolutely terrible - something really must be done.
    I have duly noted the sarcastic tone and would just like to state for the record that what you have said about this government is totally true and of past governments also, I already know and have given my views on this which for the record is the same stance as yours except I am not being sarcastic about agreeing with you.

The thread was about a person, who clearly stated on TV that he had not worked a day in his life, bleating that he couldn't manage on benefits of 500 per week when there are lots of people I know who work hard for much less than that figure.

I was just commenting on this and this alone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    *pat's Earthling on the head*
    Consider this your first warning from the Pedantic Patrol

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Consider this your first warning from the Pedantic Patrol
    ARGH! I don't deserve a warning! Just take me out and shoot me!

Thank Post
    Your argument is like saying that because I work on the ground in a school doing IT, I therefore should be in charge of IT globally, and know everything there is to know about IT...

I'm shocked. Based on your 'know-it-all' posts on this forum I've always just figured you were the master of everything. Truly shocked at this discovery, who's going to be in charge of global IT now (because @localzuk has been transferred to the global farming department)

7. 3 Thanks to Hightower:

bossman (3rd November 2011), JoeBloggs (3rd November 2011), localzuk (3rd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post

I'm shocked. Based on your 'know-it-all' posts on this forum I've always just figured you were the master of everything. Truly shocked at this discovery, who's going to be in charge of global IT now (because @localzuk has been transferred to the global farming department)
    I shall hang up my know-it-all hat and hand in my resignation to the world know-it-all society.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Truly shocked at this discovery, who's going to be in charge of global IT now
    I nominate @nephilim: he could do with a new job

10. 4 Thanks to webman:

bossman (3rd November 2011), GrumbleDook (3rd November 2011), localzuk (3rd November 2011), Tech1 (4th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Lol!! Only if it came with a modest pay check and no bonuses.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I want to know more about Pat's earthling...

Thank Post
    How clever. You manage to take something out of context and make a glib comment. Well done. *pats Earthling on the head*.
    How is it taking something out of context....you produced statistics to try to prove your point, I pointed out what previous Govts have said about statistics.

And, please, don't be condescending. Is that how you treat your students when they disagree with you?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Earthling View Post
    How is it taking something out of context....you produced statistics to try to prove your point, I pointed out what previous Govts have said about statistics.
    You highlighted my saying specifically the part where I mentioned governments - you didn't highlight my use of statistics.

And, please, don't be condescending. Is that how you treat your students when they disagree with you?
    Yup, and I get on great with them. It's banter.

Thank Post
    I can give you a few really damned good reasons why we shouldn't give up eating meat.

-Think of all the ipad app developers who make primary school apps. No more "Sheep goes BAAAAA!" We'll just have a whole board of varied fart noises with tags to which plant made that particular variant.

-We wouldn't have the genius that is Terry Pratchett's "Where's My Cow!"

-No more McDonalds.... This puts the cretins who work there back into circulation for the rest of the world to deal with them.

-You'd kill the food industry overnight. No more late night kebabs, no more greasy spoons, no more family restaurants with names like "Beefeater". I'm less inclined to pay someone to steam a plate of carrots and a bowl of tomato soup, removing this important social aspect of the world.

Lastly, if you try and take away my meat I will have to start eating people, and according to many an old children's book, children taste the best, so I guess I'm in the best possible place to keep up my source of protein...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    I can give you a few really damned good reasons why we shouldn't give up eating meat.

-Think of all the ipad app developers who make primary school apps. No more "Sheep goes BAAAAA!" We'll just have a whole board of varied fart noises with tags to which plant made that particular variant.
    What do you have against fart noises?? Some of the best comedy around revolves around them!

-We wouldn't have the genius that is Terry Pratchett's "Where's My Cow!"
    He could very well have wrote a book about 'where's my pet pigme hedgehog!'...

No more McDonalds.... This puts the cretins who work there back into circulation for the rest of the world to deal with them.

-You'd kill the food industry overnight. No more late night kebabs, no more greasy spoons, no more family restaurants with names like "Beefeater". I'm less inclined to pay someone to steam a plate of carrots and a bowl of tomato soup, removing this important social aspect of the world.
    Nah, vegetarian/vegan food can be just as much junk as meat based foods.

Lastly, if you try and take away my meat I will have to start eating people, and according to many an old children's book, children taste the best, so I guess I'm in the best possible place to keep up my source of protein...
    Well, I spose it would help aid the world overpopulation problem...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,317 Times in 1,630 Posts
    Ok, OK - and breathe.....
    That's better - a bit of humour without barbs is good!
    Informed discussion is a good thing!
    There are good and bad points on all sides - there is plenty of evidence to show that we should grow vegetables and not meat, but there are indeed many places where crops are not viable so some animals can still be bred.
    Benefit cheats certainly need to be stopped, and people who have never worked need incentives and possibly benefit cuts etc to encourage them to work - but I am not sure I want to go back to the days when someone came in and assessed every single one of your possessions, telling you what to get rid of and how to live before they would give you anything.
    Governments do indeed need to sort out the corruption at the top - and the bottom..

Now, has that covered everything? This fence is really quite uncomfortable - how does @GrumbleDook do it?

18. 2 Thanks to witch:

bossman (3rd November 2011), GrumbleDook (3rd November 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast