+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, St Paul's Protesters in General; What is it with the C of E ? They should be supporting the protesters who want a better and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,070 Times in 626 Posts

St Paul's Protesters

What is it with the C of E ? They should be supporting the protesters who want a better and fairer society for all but instead side with the the corrupt and greedy bankers who started this all off. The very corrupt and greedy bankers who were bailed out by the likes of YOU and ME who now have awarded themselves 50% pay increases whislt we constanlty look over our sholders in regards to our jobs and well being. There is something seriously wrong with society......... Bring this country down to it's knees by dodgy and corrupt dealings but pitch a tent in a public place and OH GOD NO !! - we can't have that !!!!
    I'm backing the protesters on this one.

2. 6 Thanks to mattx:

CyberNerd (31st October 2011), jdoyle (1st November 2011), Rawns (1st November 2011), sparkeh (1st November 2011), stevenlong1985 (31st October 2011), tech_guy (31st October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,063 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...better and fairer society for all but instead side with the the corrupt and greedy....
    Given the past (and sometimes present) history of almost all organised religions I will assume you are being ironic in all descriptions you have used.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Given the past (and sometimes present) history of almost all organised religions I will assume you are being ironic in all descriptions you have used.
    Aye isnt cofe biggest landowners in the country and when buying a house they have to check if there is anual money owed to them from deeds dating back centuries

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,648 Times in 2,049 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Not a fan of the hypocrisy that's rife within the various camps around the world, but their cause is a good one.

I'm not even slightly shocked at the way the CofE is behaving, I've had some dealings with them in the past and they were not a good organisation to deal with!

I dunno, maybe the people within the church should read this book called 'The Bible' which has something to say about moneylenders and that sort of thing...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    Cause is a good one but pitching tents for the day and just leaving them is not good. And some of the protestors are the usual rent-an-anarchist.
    What exactly do they intend to achieve? Yes they are against capitalism and bankers etc - but what are they doing about it?
    St Pauls did overreact but TBF two of their officials have resigned due to their mishandling which is more than the corrupt bankers or politicians usually do

7. 2 Thanks to witch:

Diello (1st November 2011), elsiegee40 (1st November 2011)

Thank Post
    I would like to see the banks have regulation again, deregulation is what caused the financial melt down in the first place.

you know there is so much Debt in the world, that if all the countries in the world gave the money back to the banks and there was no currency in circulation , it still wouldn't be enough to pay off the debt

Thank Post
    I would like them to go to work.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    I dunno, maybe the people within the church should read this book called 'The Bible' which has something to say about moneylenders and that sort of thing...
    WWJD

If the bible is anything to go by... He'd be cracking some skulls.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,773 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    What is it with the C of E ? They should be supporting the protesters who want a better and fairer society for all but instead side with the the corrupt and greedy bankers who started this all off. The very corrupt and greedy bankers who were bailed out by the likes of YOU and ME who now have awarded themselves 50% pay increases whislt we constanlty look over our sholders in regards to our jobs and well being. There is something seriously wrong with society......... Bring this country down to it's knees by dodgy and corrupt dealings but pitch a tent in a public place and OH GOD NO !! - we can't have that !!!!
    I'm backing the protesters on this one.
    I hate to say it, but St Paul's is in the heart of the City of London and those Bankers work in their parish and, no doubt, donate generously to the upkeep of the cathedral.

Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Cause is a good one but pitching tents for the day and just leaving them is not good. And some of the protestors are the usual rent-an-anarchist.
    What exactly do they intend to achieve? Yes they are against capitalism and bankers etc - but what are they doing about it?
    St Pauls did overreact but TBF two of their officials have resigned due to their mishandling which is more than the corrupt bankers or politicians usually do
    I agree.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stevenlong1985 View Post
    you know there is so much Debt in the world, that if all the countries in the world gave the money back to the banks and there was no currency in circulation , it still wouldn't be enough to pay off the debt
    Information is Beautiful helps give a sense of the scale of the debt.

13. 3 Thanks to pcstru:

jdoyle (1st November 2011), sparkeh (1st November 2011), stevenlong1985 (1st November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts
    having seen the guy who resigned yesterday commenting that the protestors were automatically presuming that he wasnt on their side, I thought he had a very fair point.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Church of England supporting the system and upholding the state? A Church set up by a land-hungry English King for his own ends? In a religion based on a 400 year old translation designed entirely to uphold the status quo and ensure that the proletariat quietly accept their lot in the hopes of a better afterlife? Shocker!

It's been said many times in many ways: belief is fine but religion is wrong.

16. 3 Thanks to sonofsanta:

Andrew_C (1st November 2011), jdoyle (1st November 2011), stevenlong1985 (1st November 2011)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    By what I have seen, the church has been supporting the protestors. People have been arguing why there is a debate on their door step but they have been staying out of it.

The kicking out smells like political interference TBH which in turn creates a distraction for the protestors by directing their anger at the church.

18. Thanks to CAM from:

stevenlong1985 (1st November 2011)

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    Aye isnt cofe biggest landowners in the country and when buying a house they have to check if there is anual money owed to them from deeds dating back centuries
    You mean the Steeple insurance (I think it's called?)? We had to pay for this on our flat! I was SOOOOOOOOO livid about this!

For those of you who don't know, if your house falls into the old "parish" boundary of a nearby church, and it needs church/steeple renovation, they have full right to ask every homeowner within the parish boundry to give money towards repair. Hence, insurance in case this happens.

Chancel repair couple sell property at auction | Money | guardian.co.uk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast