+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Am I horrible? in General; @mb2k01 The problem with being a troll is that once you start a post with a personal attack you do ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    @mb2k01
    The problem with being a troll is that once you start a post with a personal attack you do tend to lose a lot of impetus for making the attack in the first place. There is a history between the troll and OP, whilst some of the specifics of the challenging post might be valid ... the method is questionable. Doing my fence-sitting thing I could say that the OP is saying things tongue-in-cheek and has strayed a bit too far over the edge, and others have already pointed out the issues with a weapon being on show, including how they are qualified to make significant comment on the matter, so some might have felt that they did not need to chip in without sounding too much like a chorus of "Me too", "Me too" and the obvious "Me three" and "Me four". I would not go as far to say as the OP is generating some flame-bait trying to sway discussions one way or another ... but the act of making a post to get at least one other person to respond in a particular way to allow you to continue a topic is a well known and well practice skill, both on forums and in RL. The act of speaking out, or of raising challenge, is all part of that discussion and the two- or three-way flow of topics and opinions. It has been this way for centuries so we are not covering new ground here.

However, a troll is not part of that process. A true troll is an incendiary in an building. A true troll has no other motive than to be offensive, abusive, disruptive and to leech all viable discussion out of topics. Most of the trolls we get on here are playful trolls, that go part way in being an annoyance. The tantrum child, the turning up of the nose to society, the half-hearted stink-bomb which soon disappears (but makes you glad of those year 10 boys passing you in the corridor spraying themselves, and everything else, liberally with their shower-in-a-can) and the repeated whiner who is often having a go at others for things they do themselves (and they are often aware of this). Some like to think that they are the intellectual troll ... who likes to try to debate and throw coarseness in to 'keep it real', and yet they stoop to the same low name calling time and time again. Some are humorous trolls who randomly interject to derail discussions ... and sometimes that can be beneficial to break up tense discussions ... other times it doesn't work so well.

I think most people here are up to challenge and speaking out ... but as a community can you blame some people for getting tired when the first thing they seen in a response is abuse? The other problem (as in all communities, whether online or face to face) is that we don't always see other conversations which go on. The OP might have already been challenged, or been applauded outside of this discussion. The troll might be egged on by others who do want to challenge yet find it more fun to be trolls by proxy. Often it is hard to say what the full extent of what might have been. If a regular member wants to take offence at the trolling rather than the challenge made, and a friend takes part in some of the fun-poking which is going on outside of the original topic ... then it happens. If the troll finds this a problem then they can speak to other members, to other mods or to the admins. I am sure most of us would defend their position on doing this ... as long as they understand that this would mean they have to follow some rules. This is something trolls do tend to struggle with though ...

As always ... happy to debate points though.

2. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

witch (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,742 Times in 2,316 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    Sorry @GrumbleDook , I normally agree with the majority of what you say but not on this one.
    Yes, arguably (no pun intended) @RingOfFire has a background of generating debate / alternative posting, but look at the context of posts inside this particular thread - a thread from a well-respected member querying justification for being 'horrible' to children and proceeding to explain his logic behind polishing his guns at that particular timeslot/in that particular location etc... A thread which seems to have not generated any negative response from other 'regulars' or mods - instead they just belittle the voices of those who dare to speak out or challenge.
    Faulty premise, mods are people too. If you want cold uneffected decision making you can enjoy the 80% rise in spam and the huge increase in false positives where real posts are deleted by an automated system instead. This would probably be the result of this kind of complete restriction of mods ability to have their own opinions.

Perhaps the act (real or embelished) of leaving a firearm visable was illadvised but since when is an IT forum the golden standard of morals. Perhaps they understand the motivation, if not the action of providing a moments thought for those comming to the door about encroching on others rights and property (assuming older people) by damaging things or harrasing people in the name of some comertialised holiday from a country hell bent on converting the entire worlds culture to their own.

Actions are motivated by many factors and you don't know the actual situation or previous situations that may have led to this (real or embelished) act. While it may not have been 'right' the world is a shade of grey and so many of the members may have weighed this or felt to whatever extent the same elements of motivation from their own experiences.

4. 2 Thanks to SYNACK:

ButterflyMoon (3rd November 2011), witch (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Sorry @GrumbleDook, I normally agree with the majority of what you say but not on this one.
    Yes, arguably (no pun intended) @RingOfFire has a background of generating debate / alternative posting, but look at the context of posts inside this particular thread - a thread from a well-respected member querying justification for being 'horrible' to children and proceeding to explain his logic behind polishing his guns at that particular timeslot/in that particular location etc... A thread which seems to have not generated any negative response from other 'regulars' or mods - instead they just belittle the voices of those who dare to speak out or challenge.
    To be fair, siding wont get you any boob.

Name:  avatar_6feb8634e3d0_128.png
Views: 23
Size:  10.6 KB
    Last edited by dwhyte85; 2nd November 2011 at 09:42 AM.

6. 2 Thanks to dwhyte85:

JoeBloggs (2nd November 2011), nephilim (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 1,193 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    * Pulls up chair and waits for @bossman to take over from @witch *
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    I think @witch and @bossman are already comfy on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post

I have photos - but not sure i'm allowed to post...

Thank Post
    The one that annoys me is when "Kids" come up my front path and instead of knocking on the big solid piece of PVC being a front door they walk left up my path and bang on the window - that really gets on my nerves!!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,223 Times in 832 Posts
    TinEye Reverse Image Search

Find it useful for looking at suspect pictures

10. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Rydra (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,523 Times in 1,757 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vikpaw View Post
    I have photos - but not sure i'm allowed to post...
    Actually I think I have a photo of @vikpaw and @witch comfy on a sofa....

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Real trolls became endangered a long time ago when they used to be funny, instead of the new breed of profanity and meme spammers.

In other news, I think this thread needs a split now...

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    For years we had teenagers wearing questionable costumes coming to the door s giving the 20p or something. This year I got a load off apples from tree in preparation but we got some little ones with parents in tow. The apples WERE off a Golden Delicious tree and freshly picked at least with no maggots. Think it is traditional to give apples.

Why should we feel guilty about not giving out anything on our own doorstep.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post

Walk in to any modern office and come out with that quip, and count how long it takes you to get suspended/dismissed.

@SYNACK - There is a difference between an isolated ill-advised act and something individually stupid with repeated attempts at justifying. There is also a difference between one mod demonstrating questionable practice and no others publically correcting/apologising.

Perhaps this thread is best left to fade in to obscurity as its fairly obvious nothing will ever change

Thank Post
    Walk in to any modern office and come out with that quip, and count how long it takes you to get suspended/dismissed.
    Teehee.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    Well the games up folks!

I have a confession to make

In that famous Kirk Douglas film i have to confess........................................... ....that I'm............................................... ......."RingOfFlame"

hehe! I'm glad I got that off me chest!

Waits for the shock horror!..................then the................."I knew it!"

This will hopefully end the split thread and allow everybody else to carry on with the Halloween theme

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,017 Times in 1,466 Posts
    Blog Entries
    really?? hmmm...she sounds too eloquent! lol

18. Thanks to nephilim from:

bossman (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    hehehehe
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post

Am I horrible?-orly.jpg

20. Thanks to RingOfFlame from:

bossman (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Well the games up folks!

I have a confession to make

In that famous Kirk Douglas film i have to confess........................................... ....that I'm............................................... ......."RingOfFlame"

hehe! I'm glad I got that off me chest!

Waits for the shock horror!..................then the................."I knew it!"

This will hopefully end the split thread and allow everybody else to carry on with the Halloween theme
    No .... *I'm* @RingOfFlame !!! And so is my wife

22. 3 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

bossman (2nd November 2011), Iain.Faulkner (3rd November 2011), LosOjos (3rd November 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast