+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Invites for Systems - Spotify, Google+, Unthink....et al in General; It is my firm opinion that you should ask for an invite for any of invite only systems if you ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries

Invites for Systems - Spotify, Google+, Unthink....et al

It is my firm opinion that you should ask for an invite for any of invite only systems if you fit the following criteria.
    • Been a member for 6 months or more
    • Have a post count of atleast 0.5 per day or over 100 posts

In the past there have been people with 1 post count and signing up in the month something has been released to invite only and beg for invites and frankly it annoys the hell out of me. Allow me to explain my rationale for this.

Invites for systems like this are limited, we are lucky to get more than 2 or 3 at a time and are like gold dust, as once they are gone, that's it. I don't want it going to a person that does not contribute to the community.

For example - Google+. I was one of the few people lucky enough to be on the Google beta boards so I handed out invites/loophole invites, and gave the community feedback and previews as to what is coming. New people coming and begging for the invites makes some of the people with the invites annoyed at the fact the people have the audacity to ask without giving anything to the community first.

So as such, please do not ask me (or anyone else for that matter without incurring my annoyance) for an invite if you do not satisfy the criteria above.

Many thanks!

Nephilim

2. 4 Thanks to nephilim:

aerospacemango (27th October 2011), Jackd (28th October 2011), RabbieBurns (28th October 2011), Rawns (31st October 2011)

Thank Post
    On iphone and can't see any rep system so just wanted to give two thumbs up to the above

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'll give rep for that!

We're a community, and a pretty tight-nit one judging by the coming on my End of an Era thread.

To see people turn up, and with 1 post to their name, start begging for invites really gets up my nose too!

I DID think I was the only one, so thanks Neph for bringing this up.

(It's not like these "new" members ever stick around for long....or am I wrong?)

I do understand that, for the community to evolve, we have to make new members welcome, but if they're only here for one thing....????

5. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

nephilim (27th October 2011)

Thank Post
    I'm happy with the theory of people contributing to the community, but not sure about the sweeping generalisation that we simply shouldn't tollerate/accept new requests.
    New visitors may have been drawn to EduGeek for picking up on keywords like 'uthink' etc, but if they have a pleasent experience and get their request (from someone clearly happy to give one) they may well turn out to be a great addition to the site. If they only get cliquey negativeness it won't paint the community in the good light it deserves.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes I agree, but look at the Google+ or Spotify, the vast majority of those that requested an invite have never posted since. The ones that do I welcome with open arms and rep/thank as applicable and help make their stay more enjoyable. Those that just do it and leave bring the others into disrepute.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    I'm happy with the theory of people contributing to the community, but not sure about the sweeping generalisation that we simply shouldn't tollerate/accept new requests.
    New visitors may have been drawn to EduGeek for picking up on keywords like 'uthink' etc, but if they have a pleasent experience and get their request (from someone clearly happy to give one) they may well turn out to be a great addition to the site. If they only get cliquey negativeness it won't paint the community in the good light it deserves.
    Much as I understand your point, I'm happy to concede that I am wrong, if you can show any of these "new" members have actually stayed, after getting what they want!

I think that Neph has made a really valid point, that can also provoke discussion and debate!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Much as I understand your point, I'm happy to concede that I am wrong, if you can show any of these "new" members have actually stayed, after getting what they want!

I think that Neph has made a really valid point, that can also provoke discussion and debate!
    I obviously don't have access to such information, but if I had to guess would probably assume that you are largely correct.
    It doesn't change my opinion that we would be wrong to blast new member requests en-mass though. We were all new once, and all wanted something, even if it was just a technical answer.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    but technical answers are not finite unlike the invites for these systems :P

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can understand why you would want to give preference to regulars and that is understandable. In the past some of these closed betas were very selective and if you were given invites to hand out it was expected that you would be selective yourself. In the days of closed mailing lists on JISC and Becta you only got in if you were a trusted individual and supported by an existing member ...

Nowadays most betas are a lot more relaxed than that and it tends to be simply restricting the number of people or about building up expectations.

If I have invites to something I would always give priority to those I know who are more likely to give me invites in return to other things ... and that trust comes from being in contact with regular members, but if I have any left over I have no issue giving them as incentives about how good EG / Twitter / that particular mailing list is to new members.

However (and this might be where some of this comes from) if a lurker suddenly starts asking, or if you are a complete newbie then understand that refusal to hand out an invite is nothing personal but just that others are slightly higher in the pecking order than you ... and not because of it being a clique, but because of a friendship and past experience of sharing. Please don't be abusive or dismissive but try to accept that sometimes thing do have to be earned, and that can start from good manners.

12. 2 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

aerospacemango (27th October 2011), nephilim (27th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ said better than I did! Cheers Tony...how does the remainder of my 5kgs of mexican chocolate sound? I'll post it up

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mb2k01 View Post
    I obviously don't have access to such information, but if I had to guess would probably assume that you are largely correct.
    It doesn't change my opinion that we would be wrong to blast new member requests en-mass though. We were all new once, and all wanted something, even if it was just a technical answer.
    I'm NOT trying to create an argument about this.

I also think we should NOT blast new members, but Neph has a really good point. I agree that we should be encouraging new members.....as you're right....we've ALL been there, and all been treated like part of the family.

But, what is the answer?

*Edit*

Turns out that Grumbledook HAS the answer!!!
    Last edited by aerospacemango; 27th October 2011 at 09:14 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Tony has said the answer

Most people (myself included) were long time lurkers before posting. He pretty much hit the nail on the head...if the thread could be closed and stickied, perhaps people will understand a bit more in future.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    but technical answers are not finite unlike the invites for these systems :P
    Technical answers can be something you've had to work hard to get yourself, and potentially ones we could all charge to offer to someone. As a community we decide the effort and finance potential is less than the reward of contributing - and hoping we'll get the same back at some point.
    It's not too different - it just depends on the individual's perception of value for an answer/invite.

**EDIT** As is often the case, Tony does indeed have the answer! Took me too long to type the above reply clearly!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I thought only Smarties had the answer??

18. 3 Thanks to webman:

aerospacemango (27th October 2011), GrumbleDook (27th October 2011), nephilim (27th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,738 Times in 1,087 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    I thought only Smarties had the answer??
    They don't do a tiger-striped one yet ... I might have to ask. Can I be the blue one instead?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast