+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Windows XP and iPod: A tale of two birthdays in General; "This week is remarkable for two 10-year computing anniversaries: that of the Apple iPod and of Microsoft's Windows XP." The ...

Thank Post

Windows XP and iPod: A tale of two birthdays

"This week is remarkable for two 10-year computing anniversaries: that of the Apple iPod and of Microsoft's Windows XP." The Register

There are still a lot of company's that run XP and will continue to do so for a long time. A year or so ago, I did some work for a multi-million pound organisation that still ran Windows 2000 on all the desktops. There was no business case for the change, so they stuck with it. The contract was to implement some legislative changes which meant I upgrade to Windows XP. The existing hardware wouldn't run Windows Vista or 7 and replacing all the PCs was out of the question. Why replace good hardware, reliable hardware just to run a new o/s which will give them no business benefits? I can see XP hanging around for many years yet, despite M$'s efforts to kill it off.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,601 Posts
    XP goes out of support in April 2014. At that point no security updates will released and other software such as AV is likely to be unsupported too.

The prospect of a virus riddled network should be enough to get businesses to drop XP. In homes, it will take longer... Windows 98 seemed to last in common use for about 2 years after it went out of support.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,875 Times in 1,393 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Windows 98 was used in 1 place where I worked when I first started (in the ICT suite)...and I started in 2007!!!

Thank Post
    10 Years.. time goes by quickly.

We still resort to XP in some areas in fact 1 room has had to be reverted back to XP because of a few issues, we do aim to replace this room next year though. All new Equipment has been Windows 7 for the last 18 months or so.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,675 Times in 1,458 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Allot of the big boys and girls have started the migration away from XP. Its a good OS but the support is coming to an end.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread