+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Bit of a cheeky one regarding salaries in General; Hi all, I was wondering if I could cheekily ask what Assistant Network Managers on here get paid, please PM ...
    Thank Post

Bit of a cheeky one regarding salaries

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could cheekily ask what Assistant Network Managers on here get paid, please PM me if you don't want it public. The situation I am in is I have been Assistant NM in all but name (and pay) for about 2 years now and have recently covered an 8 months sickness absence as Acting NM.

I am still classed as a tech and term time only at that, if I was FT I would only take home around 19.5k (which seems low even if it was a tech post to me?) so I am going with my NM to see the Head next week and basically say it's not good enough (in a diplomatic way!) and I would like some ideas of what I should be shooting for on the salary front? Early guesses on my part would be something in the 25k region?

I am serious about leaving if I am not paid adequately because to be honest I am sick of being told I am valued and praised for my work (particularly stepping up to NM) and not being paid for it, it's like a slap in the face when I see teachers getting sent on training courses and annual pay increments whilst I have been on frozen pay for 3 years. I see it as a flaw in schools that not a single member of the SMT is non-teaching staff but that's a rant for another day!

Any advice would be most gratefully received!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nikaso View Post
    Hi all,

I was wondering if I could cheekily ask what Assistant Network Managers on here get paid, please PM me if you don't want it public. The situation I am in is I have been Assistant NM in all but name (and pay) for about 2 years now and have recently covered an 8 months sickness absence as Acting NM.

I am still classed as a tech and term time only at that, if I was FT I would only take home around 19.5k (which seems low even if it was a tech post to me?) so I am going with my NM to see the Head next week and basically say it's not good enough (in a diplomatic way!) and I would like some ideas of what I should be shooting for on the salary front? Early guesses on my part would be something in the 25k region?

I am serious about leaving if I am not paid adequately because to be honest I am sick of being told I am valued and praised for my work (particularly stepping up to NM) and not being paid for it, it's like a slap in the face when I see teachers getting sent on training courses and annual pay increments whilst I have been on frozen pay for 3 years. I see it as a flaw in schools that not a single member of the SMT is non-teaching staff but that's a rant for another day!

Any advice would be most gratefully received!

Hello, I think it's difficult to say unless you have an idea on what the NM would be paid. Do you know how much he's paid?

Thank Post
    25k sounds pretty high for a Assistant NM

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where in the country are you? Wages vary widely from LEA to LEA.

25k would be pretty high for a NM let alone an Assistant NM anywhere in the south-west for example, but would be reasonable in London.

Thank Post
    It depends on what your duties are if you are being paid a decent scale. As others have said, if you know what the NM scale is then just compare roles. But you must also realise that while there is a NM they will probably be taking most of the responsibility which will have an impact on your pay. What might be easier is to get a clear view of the roles & responsibilities you are expected to carry out. Then you can get a better idea about the scale you should be on.

This might be easier as you have done an 8 month "acting up" role as the NM so the school should realise you already have the skills to do more than your original(existing?) contract.

Thank Post
    Salaries are a very frequently raised topic here. There's a recent thread where I mentioned our rates here.

Thank Post
    I'm in Leeds, I know the NM is on about 30k and there is a school in Keighley currently advertising for an NM paying 31-37k which is why I suggested 25k, I have actually applied for an ICT Technician post at another Leeds school thats listed as 22k - 23k as well?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nikaso View Post
    I'm in Leeds, I know the NM is on about 30k and there is a school in Keighley currently advertising for an NM paying 31-37k which is why I suggested 25k, I have actually applied for an ICT Technician post at another Leeds school thats listed as 22k - 23k as well?
    Then be careful about bringing that up with your head as he may turn around and say good luck in going for those positions.

Thank Post
    I think the best advice is... if you don't ask, you don't get. They should compensate you for covering duties though.

Don't go all guns blazing unless you're up for leaving, schools can be strange places and from my experience people can be almost offended when you ask for more!

Thank Post
    I'm going to make it very clear that I love working here, I run the D of E scheme for the school and an after school games club (no recompense asked for or given) and I would like to stay but I simply can't because I am being treated shabbily in the pay department.

I was thinking if I bring up the fact I've applied elsewhere it might convince them I am serious? Or should I keep it to myself?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did that and got promised a 4k a year pay rise....when the time came to put it in effect I got made redundant.

Thank Post
    Imply you have noticed your payscale is not in line with other local schools (which implies you have at least looked at adverts), if you say you are looking elsewhere then why do you think they will dig deep into their pockets to keep you instead of waving bye to you and getting someone else in on the same money.

Thank Post
    So the moral of the story is ask away but bend over because you are going to get your ass kicked?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexPilot View Post
    Imply you have noticed your payscale is not in line with other local schools (which implies you have at least looked at adverts), if you say you are looking elsewhere then why do you think they will dig deep into their pockets to keep you instead of waving bye to you and getting someone else in on the same money.
    Well I was hoping they would think :

a) Do we want the cost/hassle of recruiting?
    b) Do we want to lose a very good member of staff who gets involved in all aspects of the school for the sake of paying him what we should be?

I'm not saying they wouldn't get anyone else like me but there is certainly no guarantee and if I am indeed a 'valued' member of staff maybe they need to prove it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Remember a key thing with the current economic climate too - school budgets are being squeezed, whether the government wants to admit it or not. Also, during the recession, a huge number of IT workers were made redundant.

So, you can ask but it is unlikely you'll get anywhere, because any person with any wherewithal will know that there are more IT people than jobs at the moment... Especially in a city.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast