+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Bit of a cheeky one regarding salaries in General; Originally Posted by dwhyte85 They should compensate you for covering duties though. Do they have to do this? My contract ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dwhyte85 View Post
    They should compensate you for covering duties though.
    Do they have to do this? My contract (I'm an Assistant Network Manager) quite clearly states that I will cover for the network manager in any period of absence (this may not be the case for the OP as I think they mention that their job title is IT Technician so I would think it unlikely that this stipulation is written into their contract).

PM sent regarding salary for my role..

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Cost/Hassle of recruiting - negligible if they advertise at a lower salary and get people interested (new starters to the industry would happily accept lower wages so they can get their foot in the door for Education IT work) or they can sell a contract to the lowest bidder (IE high schools and they send a tech on site a few times a week).
    Paying a staff member - easier to palm off the duties to other non teaching staff and split it appropriately so that nobody asks for the pay rise.

I know it sounds like I am throwing a spanner in the works, but thats exactly what happened to me

Thank Post
    Have you thought about what it would look like to be asking for a 5.5k hike in pay at this moment in time and is it realistic that you would get it. Have you had any redundancies at your school or other local LEA schools. Do you know what budget cut you are looking at and when it kicks in. All these should arm you with information about what sort of situation your school is in.

Ask and you shall receive, and the worst that can happen is you get a no

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Cost/Hassle of recruiting - negligible if they advertise at a lower salary and get people interested (new starters to the industry would happily accept lower wages so they can get their foot in the door for Education IT work) or they can sell a contract to the lowest bidder (IE high schools and they send a tech on site a few times a week).
    Paying a staff member - easier to palm off the duties to other non teaching staff and split it appropriately so that nobody asks for the pay rise.

I know it sounds like I am throwing a spanner in the works, but thats exactly what happened to me
    No its a valid point, in my last school I thought I was worth an extra 2k a year and that is what I asked for. I got a no which was fair enough, so I looked elsewhere. Had a new job within six weeks of the meeting and the people who said no said good luck with the new role. There was no "please dont go, you do x y and z and we dont know who will cover it". I was 23 when I left so they got an 19 year old in for me on less than I started on.

Thank Post
    Its your own fantasy, plenty of people waiting for your job (they will get a young kid fresh out of college for 12k who will stay for years). Budgets are being crunched, what makes it worth paying you more? How will it help the school? It probably wont end well.

Start looking elsewhere. Thats what I did.

FYI: In my area (south west) I have seen senior or assitant nm jobs from 22-25ish.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Iain.Faulkner View Post
    Do they have to do this? My contract (I'm an Assistant Network Manager) quite clearly states that I will cover for the network manager in any period of absence (this may not be the case for the OP as I think they mention that their job title is IT Technician so I would think it unlikely that this stipulation is written into their contract).

PM sent regarding salary for my role..
    He is a technician it's a bit unfair if they don't as it means extra responsibilities - usually that's what they use to benchmark a pay grade change (well, it was a year or so ago).

Thank Post
    It depends what you mean when you say Assistant NM.

Assistant as in you do the supervisions of techs? Strategic input? Budgets?
    or
    You have all the technical aspects the role needs?

If you got 25k in a School not being a NM in Leeds you would be doing rather well

Thank Post
    Well it looks as though I must be prepared to jump, new school I have applied to is only 5 minutes from my house and is paying significantly more than I am on so I can't complain. Thanks for all the advice from everyone, I am not the sort to just filter out what I don't want to hear so I take on board what people are.

When I am talking about being an Assistant NM I mean having the technical aspects but also being involved in managing staff, strategic decisons, procurement is virtually all down to me and I also train teaching staff on software packages etc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ask diplomatically...I can PM you the format I used which got me the promise of 4k...

Thank Post
    He is a technician it's a bit unfair if they don't as it means extra responsibilities - usually that's what they use to benchmark a pay grade change (well, it was a year or so ago).
    This should be covered before you take on the extra responsibility though. Probably the best he can hope for is justification for taking on extra responsibility which provides extra pay NOT for payment of the job you have finished doing.

The people who have described you being replaced by someone on a lower wage looking to get into IT are probably providing the closest description to what will actually happen, but you never know until you ask. This is why I would suggest you ask for a clear job description which identifies the extra tasks you have taken on since you started. If they do not recognise this then you wont get any more money. Use the comparison method of what similar roles are paying but be prepared for the fact they will wish you good luck.

Thank Post
    If someone is off sick... you have to take it on, unless you want to be awkward. I don't imagine anyone thought the NM would be off for 8 months!

Thank Post
    @nikaso - What I would do is apply for the new role, but also have the meeting with your NM & HT. At the end of the day you might get 2 yes's, or 2 no's - keep your options open! If you get the other job, and a no upgrade at your current, at least you asked!

I left education in Leeds and went into the private sector. Pays much better, but more stressful

Thank Post
    You also need to be clear into how your role differs to the NM. If you are doing the things the NM should be doing because you are capable then that is one thing, but if you are doing training/managing etc is down to you, what is the NM doing?

Thank Post
    If someone is off sick... you have to take it on, unless you want to be awkward. I don't imagine anyone thought the NM would be off for 8 months!
    Ok, but I was making the assumption that the NM provided notice that they would be off long term. But yes, we all pick up work when others are off.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yes we all pick up work as needed but if it is long term, then appropriate recompense needs to be made to the person picking up the bulk of the duties (if evenly split between a team of people then not really applicable). Also being on long term sick the school is not paying out as much as the persons salary (if anything beyond statutory sick) so they do have the available funds to pay the person as they see fit.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast