+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, I need more room in General; Went to the bursar today. Me: servers in my room are noisy B: can we move them? Me: not easily ...

Thank Post

I need more room

Went to the bursar today.
    Me: servers in my room are noisy
    B: can we move them?
    Me: not easily
    B: can you move?
    Me: Yes, but i wont be next to our ICT Suites.
    B: can we drown the noise?

Builders arrive tomorrow to measure up my new server annex where the lobby is! .

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Tell them it breaches health and safety even with the annex (which it does)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    I wouldn't even need to with our bursar, loverly chap, But we are having a door put on so it should be fine and dandy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why does it matter if you not next to the ICT rooms?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    Why does it matter if you not next to the ICT rooms?
    I'm a one man department, If i moved from within shouting distance of the ICT rooms the level of distruption during ICT lessons would go through the roof. I pretty much need to be on hand

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,700 Times in 1,477 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by strawberry View Post
    I'm a one man department, If i moved from within shouting distance of the ICT rooms the level of distruption during ICT lessons would go through the roof. I pretty much need to be on hand
    Wow, when i worked in a school i hardly ever got called to the IT Rooms

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,453 Times in 1,899 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Why? What makes you be required to be on hand? We have, what 7 ICT suites and about a few trolleyfulls of laptops around our place and there's only 2 of us. This term, we've only been requested to go to an ICT suite about 3 times, and those were right at the beginning with classfulls of kids needing password help.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    kids needing password help.
    Exactly that, Teachers have access to change passwords but they won't. It usually means me coming back to the office to find tickets with random usernames plastered all over them.

Thank Post
    I'm currently in the process of moving out of my office, which like you is also the server/comms room. Most of the servers and not rack-mounted, and the main cabinet had to have the back removed, so the place was deemed too noisy to work in. Moving to an office nearer the front of the school, the only slight peeve is I won't have the bonus of air con during the summer months.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Exactly that, Teachers have access to change passwords but they won't. It usually means me coming back to the office to find tickets with random usernames plastered all over them.
    This isn't a technological issue then, its one of management. Have you discussed this issue with your SMT and pointed out that it is effectively a waste of your time to be making you support every password change request?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Why does it if its built correctly and to the correct fire and sound proofing standards you could do it anywhere within reason. There is a lot of H&S rubbish being chucked around again and blatant statements like that without full context, including sizes, sound levels, fire plans and risk assessments are just rubbish and incorrect and give H&S a bad name. The is no legislation that says you cannot make an annex have a server room in it, if it ticks all boxes for the H&S then you can do it.

Thank Post
    We used to be in with the servers (before my time though) - 1 full 42U rack of comms kit for the county and 1 half filled rack of our kit (proud to say with virtualisation its now a 1/4 full rack!).

One day however we spotted that the maths department were under using their office (in fact we don't think they used it at all) so we drilled a hole through the wall stuff through a network cable and within 3 hours the office was ours.

In the grand scheme we are about as far away from the IT classrooms as possible and to be honest it doesn’t impact the work – a IT tech checks each room for obvious signs of problems in the morning and system centre does the rest.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Why does it if its built correctly and to the correct fire and sound proofing standards you could do it anywhere within reason. There is a lot of H&S rubbish being chucked around again and blatant statements like that without full context, including sizes, sound levels, fire plans and risk assessments are just rubbish and incorrect and give H&S a bad name. The is no legislation that says you cannot make an annex have a server room in it, if it ticks all boxes for the H&S then you can do it.
    A "room" within a "room" (whether it falls into annex or whatever category) is against health and safety regulations...I know because a previous school tried to do that too me and when H&S caught wind (as I wanted to check if it was legal) they went nuts!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    A "room" within a "room" (whether it falls into annex or whatever category) is against health and safety regulations...I know because a previous school tried to do that too me and when H&S caught wind (as I wanted to check if it was legal) they went nuts!
    Nothing illegal or against H&S rules on that we have enough of them in our place as do most schools! as most old ones didn't need an officer for all these SLT and HoDs back then!

There are HOWEVER numerous regulations related to these rooms that have to be met which can create issues / prevent the creation of them, HOWEVER you have to know and have them assessed & designed by a suitable person and then they are fine.

For example just this week, some of our office in rooms have had new 45 minute Fire-Proof doors fitted and vision panels fitted to them to allow you to see in them when the door is closed. This then allows them to be suitable within our general fire risk assessment. These plans have been approved and checked by the Fire Officers and the Local Authority as they were responsible for them and the fire audit of my school. Thus they are not illegal unless you are aware of the general context which you are not so please stop making sweeping statements without full facts. Your statement is just like saying PAT Testing is a legal requirement which is baloney its a commonly recommended and a way you can show you are managing your electrical appliances and doing what you can to prevent electrical incidents but its by no way a legal get out of jail free card as the test is only showing the appliance was good when you tested it which could have been 11 months and 29 days previous to someone being killed by a faulty appliance.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Schools are jam packed with rooms within rooms. I've even seen rooms within rooms within rooms!

Nothing illegal about it, so long as all the building regs are followed and adequate thought is put into fire safety etc...

Put it this way - many modern buildings are effectively giant sheds filled with rooms. So, they're a big room containing rooms. I know of some PFI/BSF schools that were designed that way to make it easy to change the internal layout.

Perfectly legal.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread