+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product.... in General; 'I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product....' Says the man who stole ideas from Xerox.... BBC News ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts

I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product....

'I'm going to destroy Android, because it's a stolen product....'

Says the man who stole ideas from Xerox....

BBC News - Steve Jobs vowed to 'destroy' Android

Thank Post
    I thought visionaries were supposed to be nice people?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Coming from Apple/Jobs that's rather funny. They couldn't be original if they tried these days.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To quote from Pirates of Silicon Valley when Anthony Micheal Hall's Bill Gates character is arguing with Noah Wylie's Steve Jobs about Microsoft 'stealing' Apples product ideas.

BG - 'I got the loot Steve, and you're yelling 'It's not fair, I wanted to steal it first'. You're too late.'
    SJ - 'We're better than than you are. We have better stuff'
    BG - 'You don't get it Steve. That doesn't matter!'

I'm not sure why, but Apple has not sued Google, only the Android handset manufacturers. Is there anything that Apple could have accused Google of infringing software/patent wise? I can't find anything on Google (funnily enough!).
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 21st October 2011 at 09:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,271 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I'm not sure why, but Apple has not sued Google, only the Android handset manufacturers. Is there anything that Apple could have accused Google of infringing software/patent wise. I can't find anything on Google (funnily enough!).
    Bullies don't pick on people who can and will fight back, they are afraid that they will loose and be exposed for what they are.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And he was prepared to blow the $40bn Apple had if need be. Nasty.

Thank Post
    Thing is the notification centre on the lastest iOS is the biggest rip off of Android I've seen, it's practically identical.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 625 Posts
    This says it all I think:

9. 5 Thanks to mattx:

creese (26th October 2011), CyberNerd (21st October 2011), LosOjos (21st October 2011), nephilim (21st October 2011), penfold (26th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Butters View Post
    I thought visionaries were supposed to be nice people?
    Most of them aren't...

https://plus.google.com/112678702228...ts/eVeouesvaVX

Jeff Bezos is an infamous micro-manager. He micro-manages every single pixel of Amazon's retail site. He hired Larry Tesler, Apple's Chief Scientist and probably the very most famous and respected human-computer interaction expert in the entire world, and then ignored every goddamn thing Larry said for three years until Larry finally -- wisely -- left the company. Larry would do these big usability studies and demonstrate beyond any shred of doubt that nobody can understand that frigging website, but Bezos just couldn't let go of those pixels, all those millions of semantics-packed pixels on the landing page. They were like millions of his own precious children. So they're all still there, and Larry is not.

Micro-managing isn't that third thing that Amazon does better than us, by the way. I mean, yeah, they micro-manage really well, but I wouldn't list it as a strength or anything. I'm just trying to set the context here, to help you understand what happened. We're talking about a guy who in all seriousness has said on many public occasions that people should be paying him to work at Amazon. He hands out little yellow stickies with his name on them, reminding people "who runs the company" when they disagree with him. The guy is a regular... well, Steve Jobs, I guess. Except without the fashion or design sense. Bezos is super smart; don't get me wrong. He just makes ordinary control freaks look like stoned hippies.

So one day Jeff Bezos issued a mandate. He's doing that all the time, of course, and people scramble like ants being pounded with a rubber mallet whenever it happens. But on one occasion -- back around 2002 I think, plus or minus a year -- he issued a mandate that was so out there, so huge and eye-bulgingly ponderous, that it made all of his other mandates look like unsolicited peer bonuses.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I'm not sure why, but Apple has not sued Google, only the Android handset manufacturers.
    Instil fear into the makers of handsets that choose to use Android, in the hope that it will frighten them enough to stop using it. Results in several things, including less Android handsets in the market, and a feeling of fear among other manufacturers who already make Android handsets (are we next?) and potential makers (dare we use Android now? we may be the next target too).

Bar stewards.

I like how Google gave HTC some of their patents to defend themselves against Apple with though. Good move

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by webman View Post
    Instil fear into the makers of handsets that choose to use Android, in the hope that it will frighten them enough to stop using it. Results in several things, including less Android handsets in the market, and a feeling of fear among other manufacturers who already make Android handsets (are we next?) and potential makers (dare we use Android now? we may be the next target too).
    THis is also Microsoft's strategy. In the past they paid novel to slow down Redhat adoption
    Now they just demand upfront cash for each HTC, Acer , ASUS or samsung device sold - giving the companies assurance that they won't sue them for patent infingment in the future. Of course, they won't go up against google - just artificially hike the prices of androids since, according to Ballmer, Android runs better on lower cheaper phones anyway.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Ah yes, of course, the effect on prices. Forgot about that angle - good point CyberNerd.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,630 Times in 1,938 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Says the man who stole ideas from Xerox
    If Steve Jobs hadn't come along, do you think Xerox would have done much with the technology developed at PARC? I wouldn't feel too sorry for them either. Xerox did quite well out of the deal...

Since its inception, Xerox had given other companies tours of PARC, showing off the highly advanced Alto workstation, which had a bitmapped display, an object oriented programming environment, was networkable, and was more powerful than most minicomputers of the day. (The researchers at PARC had since become leery of outsiders and stopped giving tours.)

Convinced that the technology at PARC could help Apple usher in the 1980s, Jobs offered Xerox a killer deal: Apple, which was privately owned at the time, would allow Xerox to invest $1 million in Apple, which was sure to soar in value when the company went public in 1981 - in exchange for two guided tours of PARC's technology. Xerox happily accepted and gave Jobs and a team of Lisa project engineers a tour.

Jobs (who took only Atkinson along on his first visit) had a rather limited understanding of technology and was most impressed by the graphical interface he saw running on the Alto. The interface was not similar to today's interfaces, but it was a huge jump forward from the command line interfaces used everywhere else.

A New Vision
    When the engineers returned, they had a vision of what they wanted in the Lisa project. Apple's chairman was so impressed that he interrupted a demo given by Xerox's Larry Tesler, asking him why nothing was being done with the technology.

For the second visit, Jobs brought along several members of the Lisa project and was given a much more technical demonstration. The other engineers who went on the second visit, who were briefed by Raskin before their visit, were equally impressed.

The Apple engineers were not the only ones impressed by the visit. The researchers at Xerox, long discouraged by Xerox's inability to release a product based on the technology developed at PARC, were impressed by Apple's seeming willingness to implement advanced technologies in their products. (Source)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    There's nothing new under the sun, so they say.

Well, in 1968, this was new. Yes, 1968. Doug Engelbart (a name more likely to to generate a shrug and a 'uh?') demoed the precursor to modern interfaces.

If you have the time, check out the full series.

Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 21st October 2011 at 09:27 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But wait - what's this....?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast