+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
General Chat Thread, What kind of offers would tickle your fancy??? in General; Originally Posted by j17sparky Plus VGA will be gone fairly soon. I stopped buying VGA only monitors last year for ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Plus VGA will be gone fairly soon. I stopped buying VGA only monitors last year for this reason; DVI with minimum resolution of 1600x900. As lets be right about it, as long as a monitor doesn't get damaged there's no reason why you couldn't get 6 years out of it if you spec it high to start with.
    I agree but tend to try for at least 1000 vertical resolution (1080, 1024 etc) as it just gives you that much more room when reading stuff, you can generally fit a whole webpage without chroming up the browser or full screening it. Does not always make it into the purchase but these last longer as the extra (height) seems to make people feel as if the PC is more powerful. It's a psycological thing.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    To be completely honest, I'm not a big fan of 'offers'. I'm of the ilk that thinks 'offer us your best price always, and you'll always have a customer'. Too many suppliers try it on by giving a price that they think is ok, and then keep knocking it down when you tell them they're overpriced. It encourages poor purchasing practices which are prone to damaging both the customer and the company.

Thank Post
    Coming from the marketing background of EvE-Online, I've always liked the fact that for anyone who wants to, they can see or at least work out what the approximate build costs of an item or services are, and see what others are charging. It means you get open and fair competition, and it comes down to supply/demand and clever thinking.

It's a shame this model doesn't work in the real world, where everyone does their best to hide what it cost, in case someone worked out that they were making a killing from it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    Coming from the marketing background of EvE-Online, I've always liked the fact that for anyone who wants to, they can see or at least work out what the approximate build costs of an item or services are, and see what others are charging. It means you get open and fair competition, and it comes down to supply/demand and clever thinking.

It's a shame this model doesn't work in the real world, where everyone does their best to hide what it cost, in case someone worked out that they were making a killing from it.
    In Eve it's considered perfectly acceptable for the customer to explode you if unsatisfied. Then explode your factory, starbase, friends, allies, cat and then do victory flights in penis formation*.

Whereas lurking by the M25 with RPGs for a particular HGV to come along is frowned on.

*surprisingly tricky to achieve.
    Last edited by pete; 21st October 2011 at 03:02 PM.

5. Thanks to pete from:

SYNACK (21st October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    @millgate would this be like the tesco clubcard scheme? If so westwood associates did that for my old place and it turned out bad for us and we got stung by it.

If you mean you get 2 point for every 10 spent and you get stuff from say 100 points (usb stick), 200 points (1x stick of ram) and so on and so forth
    I'm not sure yet, it's hard to give 1 =1 point because everything has different margins. I'm going to have a think over the weekend and have a chat on Monday. I'll post on here the ideas first, to get feedback from you all if that's ok?

One thing that has stood out from you guys is that you'd like things for your department as well as getting a good deal so I'll make sure that's discussed

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pete View Post
    In Eve it's considered perfectly acceptable for the customer to explode you if unsatisfied. Then explode your factory, starbase, friends, allies, cat and then do victory flights in penis formation*.

Whereas lurking by the M25 with RPGs for a particular HGV to come along is frowned on.

*surprisingly tricky to achieve.
    Now *that's* how to do business!

Thank Post
    Check it out!

Millgate Points!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234