+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What kind of offers would tickle your fancy??? in General; Originally Posted by localzuk Its capable *now*. But as you've just pointed out someone running a computer for 5 years+, ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Its capable *now*. But as you've just pointed out someone running a computer for 5 years+, is that good enough? Basically you're planning for your device to only run current software and current requirements. Part of what we do is planning for the future. Windows 8 is out next year, with its fancy new Metro UI. Who knows where it'll be in 5 years time? A 3 year old processor now will be 8 years out of date then.

So, yes, you could buy cheap now because your headteacher lacks the foresight to include ICT provision in your budget correctly or you could point out that you are being asked to provide a solution that is old before it enters your building, meaning that the school will once again be in the situation they are in now in barely 3 or so years again!

Deals, for me would be maybe buy 10 get 1 free deals?

Or, discounts on SSDs when buying as an upgrade for a PC?
    Remind me how old Windows XP is and how long we've been running that? (Still does the job)

The head teacher is new and is doing a damn fine job of sorting out a large mess that was left for her. There "may" well be a bigger budget for IT next year, but at the moment I have more in my wallet than this school has, and they are unable to use IT efficiently right now, never mind in 5+ years. Not all schools are the same.

Anyway, I've gone off topic here, for which I apologise to Millgate.

2. Thanks to AyatollahPies from:

Millgate (20th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    I know you are not meant to complain about free stuff, but would it be possible to offer monitors with DVI or DisplayPort ports in the future (instead of VGA), particularly if the computers in question have these ports? Students at our school (and I imagine many others) often mess around with the settings on the VGA LCDs (adjusting things like brightness/contrast and the horizontal/vertical positions). With a digital display, they can't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Why buy something that's already obsolete which will be even worse in a couple of years time?
    I agree. The cheapest option isn't always the best.

4. Thanks to Arthur from:

Millgate (21st October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,023 Times in 787 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Slight afterthought - a common query I see is the lack of accessories with certain kit. How about something nice and easy, and cost effective - for instance offering a choice of a VGA splitter (great for whiteboard computers) or wireless keyboard/mouse or similar.

6. 2 Thanks to synaesthesia:

Millgate (21st October 2011), nephilim (20th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,410 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good point, have some rep!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 1,973 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    How about something nice and easy, and cost effective - for instance offering a choice of a VGA HDMI or DVI splitter (great for whiteboard computers) or wireless keyboard/mouse or similar.
    I agree.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 729 Posts
    Remember lowest price doesn't always = best value. On the note of getting the most out of kit extras such as free warranty extensions from say 3Y NBD to 4 or 5. Nothing better than seeing the face of someone when they bring there dead 4Y 11M old laptop expecting a new replacement and you reply leave it with me will have en Engineer out tomorrow

10. Thanks to SYSMAN_MK from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    Upgrade your ailing kit bundles, for example I have a number of 4 year old PCs with 512mb or 1gb (if were lucky) ram, these are core2duos and in need of a boost and know from testing ram will help them So "upgrade your IT room Ram pack" say may have 30x 2GB sticks of DDR2 ram in for a special bundle price etc rather than just saying please price for 30 sticks etc.... see if you can get a nice bundle for that?

12. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Actually John along those lines is a good idea...bundles of SSDs, RAM, maybe certain CPU chips, GFX cards for art/design depts.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Remind me how old Windows XP is and how long we've been running that? (Still does the job)
    How long some people have been running XP and most of the people complain that they can't run newer versions specificlly because of the hardware due to making poor or constrained decisions in the past. Way to continue a trend.

Thank Post
    How about some kind of Millgate Edugeek "points"? So instead of me guessing with offers you want, giving you x amount of points to use on ram, mice, keyboards etc. I'd have to run it past the powers that be on Monday but what do you think to that?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,702 Times in 2,289 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    How about some kind of Millgate Edugeek "points"? So instead of me guessing with offers you want, giving you x amount of points to use on ram, mice, keyboards etc. I'd have to run it past the powers that be on Monday but what do you think to that?
    Upgrades like RAM are always a good little extra as it can be hard to justify in some instances but does give you the oppertunity to extend the life and abilities of existing hardware.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    How long some people have been running XP and most of the people complain that they can't run newer versions specificlly because of the hardware due to making poor or constrained decisions in the past. Way to continue a trend.
    Fair enough. It was a poor example. However, it does tell you about the predicament some schools are in, whereby they are still running it and see no reason to change, because it still works.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    that HP at £520 is expensive imho I paid £270 ex vat for core i3 64gb SSD drives 4gb ram although no os...
    It is expensive. If it's the part code I'm thinking of (XY149ET) the average* is about £385 off the shelf, with better pricing available if buying in bulk.

*assumes you have access to decent pricing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @millgate would this be like the tesco clubcard scheme? If so westwood associates did that for my old place and it turned out bad for us and we got stung by it.

If you mean you get 2 point for every £10 spent and you get stuff from say 100 points (usb stick), 200 points (1x stick of ram) and so on and so forth

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I know you are not meant to complain about free stuff, but would it be possible to offer monitors with DVI or DisplayPort ports in the future (instead of VGA), particularly if the computers in question have these ports? Students at our school (and I imagine many others) often mess around with the settings on the VGA LCDs (adjusting things like brightness/contrast and the horizontal/vertical positions). With a digital display, they can't do this.
    Plus VGA will be gone fairly soon. I stopped buying VGA only monitors last year for this reason; DVI with minimum resolution of 1600x900. As lets be right about it, as long as a monitor doesn't get damaged there's no reason why you couldn't get 6 years out of it if you spec it high to start with.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast