+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
General Chat Thread, What kind of offers would tickle your fancy??? in General; I'm sure you are well aware of the budget constraints facing schools at the moment. Therefore, can you understand why ...
    Thank Post
    I'm sure you are well aware of the budget constraints facing schools at the moment.

Therefore, can you understand why I would recommend a school purchase these HP 500B MT Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com

250 ex vat

over these HP Compaq 8200 Elite SFF with FREE 19" MONITOR - from Millgate

520 ex vat

I know they are not like for like, but the price difference is far wider than the performance difference, even taking the monitor into account.

2. Thanks to AyatollahPies from:

Millgate (20th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    I'm sure you are well aware of the budget constraints facing schools at the moment.

Therefore, can you understand why I would recommend a school purchase these HP 500B MT Desktop PC - Desktops | Ebuyer.com

250 ex vat

520 ex vat

I know they are not like for like, but the price difference is far wider than the performance difference, even taking the monitor into account.
    I agree and the only reason i put it on is because 2 schools recently purchased 30 units and i thought it was a good offer. I'll start and put some cheaper ones on and see if we can throw in a freebie

Thank Post

250 ex vat

520 ex vat

Just to note, those are 2 very different machines. One is a full size desktop with one of the cheapest (nearly 5 year old tech too) CPU's on the market, the other is a SFF PC with a low end but modern CPU.

The desktop is also an endofline, being a Core2Duo platform that is now 3-4 years old in architechture. The i3 architechture is barely 2 years old.

At this point, I would not now recommend anyone spends money on a Core2Duo platform. Buying kit that is essentially 3 years out of date before even taking out of the box is inadviseable.

5. Thanks to Rydra from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The newer processor machine has a processor that is around 40% faster than the older Core2Duo. The newer machine also uses RAM that is about 20% faster also. Add in the free monitor, and the fact that the older machine is EOL and using out of date technology, and the 3 year on-site warranty rather than a 1 year return to base then I'd still be looking at the newer ones.

7. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

Arthur (20th October 2011), Millgate (20th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The i3's are stonkingly quick and I would choose that over any Core2Duo instantly. Regardless of current budget, it is folly to buy what is the cheapest when you should be looking at best value for money - something very different. Why buy something that's already obsolete which will be even worse in a couple of years time? If you're not planning for the future, you're not taking the school's best interests into account.

I think decent bundle deals would be helpful - things like mainboard/cpu/ram, also server self-build kit with bundle deals too. In most cases we also find offers a bit of a flash in the pan.

9. 2 Thanks to synaesthesia:

Arthur (20th October 2011), Millgate (20th October 2011)

rad
    Thank Post
    Guys and Gals, you are getting it all wrong, what we really want are things we will see. I worked for a company that bought toners etc from the best account manager ever, we got Haribo every order, not just one pack, but 3 (one for each of us) and we even ended us getting plush toys etc including a monkey, shark...

So as its Edugeek, it will be the famous Hobnobs.

11. Thanks to rad from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    that HP at 520 is expensive imho I paid 270 ex vat for core i3 64gb SSD drives 4gb ram although no os...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    Just to note, those are 2 very different machines. One is a full size desktop with one of the cheapest (nearly 5 year old tech too) CPU's on the market, the other is a SFF PC with a low end but modern CPU.

The desktop is also an endofline, being a Core2Duo platform that is now 3-4 years old in architechture. The i3 architechture is barely 2 years old.

At this point, I would not now recommend anyone spends money on a Core2Duo platform. Buying kit that is essentially 3 years out of date before even taking out of the box is inadviseable.
    Not when they are replacing 8 year old single core workstations with 512MB ram they aren't. The school have very little money and need other things doing to their network with are a bigger priority and will make a bigger difference than an i3 will.

The point I was trying to make to the OP was that a lot of schools simply do not have the budget for 500 / workstation and that advertising cheaper deals in the current climate may help his bottom line more.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    The newer processor machine has a processor that is around 40% faster than the older Core2Duo. The newer machine also uses RAM that is about 20% faster also. Add in the free monitor, and the fact that the older machine is EOL and using out of date technology, and the 3 year on-site warranty rather than a 1 year return to base then I'd still be looking at the newer ones.
    Ebuyer deal includes 3 year NBD warranty. Doesn't show until you put it in your basket though. I don't understand the argument about it being out of date technology. It's more than capable of running Windows 7, Office 2010 and the curriculum software that will be installed on them.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,867 Times in 1,385 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Sometimes schools with a lack of budget may even need to buy reconditioned machines and visit the likes of @ictdirect (who btw are fantastic for their kit!!) and it works out the best value deal! Thats just how it rolls nowadays. Gone are the days when I started in ICT and the budget was 50k (after LEA costs etc) a year, to now when its just over 8k (after LEA costs etc)

Thank Post
    I really appreciate all your feedback and ideas guys. I'm out tomorrow visiting a college but I'm going to have a think over the weekend so they'll be some new and hopefully useful offers next week.

Might even do a Xmas promo

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,310 Times in 1,624 Posts
    I agree that we rarely buy kit because of a special offer - however, things like upgrading the RAM would actually make a difference to me if the price was pretty similar. I always have an issue trying to explain WHY I want to spend more money on a brand new piece of kit! Ditto things like free headphones, memory sticks etc. I wouldnt buy from you just because you offer those things but if I am looking at similar pricing from different places, it might just swing the deal your way As long as there are hobnobs, of course!
    I also agree that more cheaper offers are good. There are a lot of us down at the sharp end who would be more likely to sing with Bon Jovi than get the wherewithal to buy an i3!

18. Thanks to witch from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,406 Times in 1,862 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ebuyer deal includes 3 year NBD warranty. Doesn't show until you put it in your basket though. I don't understand the argument about it being out of date technology. It's more than capable of running Windows 7, Office 2010 and the curriculum software that will be installed on them.
    Its capable *now*. But as you've just pointed out someone running a computer for 5 years+, is that good enough? Basically you're planning for your device to only run current software and current requirements. Part of what we do is planning for the future. Windows 8 is out next year, with its fancy new Metro UI. Who knows where it'll be in 5 years time? A 3 year old processor now will be 8 years out of date then.

So, yes, you could buy cheap now because your headteacher lacks the foresight to include ICT provision in your budget correctly or you could point out that you are being asked to provide a solution that is old before it enters your building, meaning that the school will once again be in the situation they are in now in barely 3 or so years again!

Deals, for me would be maybe buy 10 get 1 free deals?

Or, discounts on SSDs when buying as an upgrade for a PC?

20. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

Millgate (20th October 2011), SYNACK (21st October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,130 Times in 1,026 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Millgate View Post
    I really appreciate all your feedback and ideas guys. I'm out tomorrow visiting a college but I'm going to have a think over the weekend so they'll be some new and hopefully useful offers next week.

Might even do a Xmas promo
    everything free?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by glennda View Post
    everything free?
    Ha, it would be nice.

I'll make sure it's good for you guys as well as for the budget. Hobnobs for everyone!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast