+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why have two networks ? in General; Im a little confused here . Currently the school has 2 domains , each on there own subnet Im starting ...

Thank Post

Why have two networks ?

Im a little confused here .

Currently the school has 2 domains , each on there own subnet

Im starting to wonder why a school really requires two ? our sims runs on both networks .. So other than that would you recon there is a real need for this ?

I believe it tends to over complicate things ! in a situation where its not really needed ?

Any one else running the same setup that cares to input some information.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    It used to be for when the powers at be said it was unsafe to host sims on the same network as the students

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,036 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Some places have it for redundancy (IE 1 network falls down the other works still). If they both replicate the info to each other then it should be good to go.

Some do it for security, staff on one, pupils on the other

-28° 31' 48.89", +28° 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Our primary schools have 2, Curriculum and Admin. SIMS is available on both.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,099 Times in 781 Posts
    We had 2 networks when I arrived here, one for Curriculum and one for Admin and never the two shall meet I was told by the LA, since then times have changed dramatically in the way Microsoft has made their product more flexible along the lines of access and security.

With this in mind 8 years ago I merged the 2 networks into one and haven't looked back since, in fact it is the best thing we ever did at the time for the school.

I know there are still people out there who remain adamant that these should stay on separate networks but their argument for me is no longer there and it is time to move on me thinks for those who still have 2 networks within the same environment.

This is just my feeling on the matter and not a dig at anyone out there who still runs a 2 network system.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,797 Times in 1,548 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can't see why there should be 2 separate networks. I know a large financial company that has all 30,000 computers on one network. I can't see why a small school can't do it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    The school i'm going to tomorrow for an interview runs two - they will be merging if i get the job!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Its usually historical. It used to be the case that LEAs mandated that a schools Admin and Curriculum network were separate. They abandoned this idea as unworkable a long time ago (when you started needing SIMS in the classroom) but some schools still have this legacy present in their network configuration. If you do come across this sort of setup its a handy warning sign that the network configuration and hardware needs a serious look at because it's likely to be 8+ years old!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,364 Times in 1,741 Posts
    We have one network for everything... indeed we used to have one server for everything.

EIS the Kent CC IT arm insist that schools have a separate server for SIMS still, much to the chagrin of most of the IT techs in the county.

Thank Post
    Within Primary Schools this is still common, As SIMS is usually on a "Workgroup" PC as a server with 2 or 3 users and is seperate from their Curriculum Domains (Well this is common in Kent).

When I started working in education (well started full time work) on my 19th Birthday 8 Years ago, the school i was at did have a seperate domain for admin, but it was on the same subnet, used the same internet connection and even the same Exchange server on the curriculum domain. We cominded everything into one within the year. And never looked back. You will never be able to use the lovely products like Lesson Monitor and InTouch (and no I don't work for Capita) which are highley useful.

Personally I would make a case to deconstruct the Admin network and integrate it, making life for all a lot easier.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Its usually historical. It used to be the case that LEAs mandated that a schools Admin and Curriculum network were separate. They abandoned this idea as unworkable a long time ago (when you started needing SIMS in the classroom) but some schools still have this legacy present in their network configuration. If you do come across this sort of setup its a handy warning sign that the network configuration and hardware needs a serious look at because it's likely to be 8+ years old!
    :-O i resent that! We've just had a whole new network put in! To be fair we don't need SIMS in the classroom and the Curriculum server gets so much hammer that it's easier to keep them seperate, that way if curric goes down the admin bods are still happy :-)

Thank Post
    It's a throwback from the days when the Admin network was run by the Bursur or Office manager and the Curriculum network was ran by a slightly odd Physics teacher. Neither knew what they were doing, neither trusted the other.

TheLibrarian
    There is a technical reason (or was) to have two Microsoft networks - password policy.

I can't remember when it changed but at some point it was only possible to have one password policy per domain.

Thank Post
    I think the chanage happened between NT4 and 2000

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We used to have two networks with two separate Internet feeds and SIMS running on both. It was merged a few years back meaning admin ended up on the heavily locked down curriculum feed.

Can't remember how we did it but there was a bit of wizardry to keep the networks separate and allow SIMS to run on a select number of computers by communicating with the admin server.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast