+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Why have two networks ? in General; We still have two networks but we are working towards merging to one. Until then they are interlinked via trusts ...

Thank Post
    We still have two networks but we are working towards merging to one. Until then they are interlinked via trusts and the curriculum servers are dual homed on the admin network so that their resources are available to staff. Only reason we have two is because until recently the LEA mandated this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    Can't remember how we did it but there was a bit of wizardry to keep the networks separate and allow SIMS to run on a select number of computers by communicating with the admin server.
    This is done using a trust between the two domains.

Thank Post
    Our sims runs fine on two totally different networks .

basically they both still access the server with the hosted SQL by adding the entry into DNS

And every night the SIMS data folder is copied to the other network ( which the client configs point to)

And now i think ive added yet another job to my summer job list !

i still have 8 servers to transfer to Server 2008 , a absolute ton of Computers to reimage to windows 7 ( including making the image)
    Plus now got the added task of joining these things together .

And thats not including migrating exchange to 2010 then to another server !

O what fun im going to have doing all that on my ownsum.
    Last edited by 2097; 20th October 2011 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    We have two networks here, one admin and one curric - it's been that way since the dawn of time. However, things just work here and therefore we do not see the need to merge them. Sims is available on all machines using a trust.

Maybe when the server needs replacing we might look into merging the two, but really can't see any major benefits from going out of my way to do it now. Like I say, if it ain't broke, don't tinker with it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    I can't see why there should be 2 separate networks. I know a large financial company that has all 30,000 computers on one network. I can't see why a small school can't do it.
    Budget
    Expertise

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,729 Times in 1,492 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AyatollahPies View Post
    Budget
    Expertise
    Surely it would be cheaper to merge them instead of having 2 set of servers etc. also it would take more man hours to manage 2 networks.

Also I can't see how having them as one network requires more expertise...

Thank Post
    With Server 2008 now you can have several password policies if I am right?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I successfully had 3 password policies in place on 2008R2 so yes it is perfectly feasible.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by K.C.Leblanc View Post
    It's a throwback from the days when the Admin network was run by the Bursur or Office manager and the Curriculum network was ran by a slightly odd Physics teacher. Neither knew what they were doing, neither trusted the other.
    lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,799 Times in 1,117 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Yes, there are various reasons why schools used to run them as two separate networks ... most of these have been touched on already ... the dreadful security in NT4, the management of 'admin' stuff being done centrally by the LA, security practices such as different password policies (have a search for previous discussions on here around ISO27001 also might shed some light) ... and so on.

The idea of security of the MIS being the reason went out the window when people starting splitting the MIS server across the 2 domains ... or when they started using tools to connect into the MIS (e.g. SLG, various learning platforms, SIF-enabled systems, etc)

However, merging the two networks is not a simple job. I have seen a few schools have serious problems when trying to do this, knackered permissions, a lot of duplication of files or loss of files, and worse. If you are thinking of this then I would advise a phased approach to wean people away from the admin network ... even to the point of virtualising the admin server before decommissioning.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLibrarian View Post
    There is a technical reason (or was) to have two Microsoft networks - password policy.

I can't remember when it changed but at some point it was only possible to have one password policy per domain.
    2008 now allows seperate PP per OU

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,422 Times in 1,699 Posts
    Dorset LA still advise two networks and only recently have both my schools gone down the 'trust' route in order to get SIMS on the workstations for the teachers. Many Dorset schools have just merged their networks but there is another consideration, smaller schools often have part-time techs and if admin machines fail they tend to be a bit more mission critical than a teachers machine. If the tech isnt there to fix the machine, problems can ensue!
    Also, speaking as a curriculum network person, the separation of networks keeps me away from, and not responsible for, SIMS, for which I am duly very thankful

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    if admin machines fail they tend to be a bit more mission critical than a teachers machine.
    That's a different approach than we use, our SLA always prioritises T+L over administrative tasks as teaching and learning is our core business. Is this admin>T+L concept normal or particular to Dorset?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,957 Times in 1,431 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So...sims goes down and there is a fire, your registers are electronic or are paper but not printed off for the week/kept in a place inaccessible during a fire on that instance...how do you fix this?

Admin is just as vital as teaching and learning, anybody that thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    So...sims goes down and there is a fire, your registers are electronic or are paper but not printed off for the week/kept in a place inaccessible during a fire on that instance...how do you fix this?
    The SIMS server is listed as a mission critical system on our SLA, here we're talking about an admin machine vs a machine used for T+L

Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Admin is just as vital as teaching and learning, anybody that thinks otherwise is just fooling themselves.
    I disagree. Administrative tasks are just that. The primary objective of the school is teaching and learning, admin supports that and is important for that reason, but it isn't critical; if I have the choice between getting a machine fixed used to deliver a lesson, or one used by a secretary then I'd move the secretary to a different machine and fix the T+L machine. This is also a good reason why NM's should be managed senior by T+L staff, not by business manager/bursars.
    Last edited by CyberNerd; 21st October 2011 at 11:50 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast