+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Is this infringing on copyright? in General; I have to say that at my place, I regularly search both the staff and student servers for MP3s. Any ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have to say that at my place, I regularly search both the staff and student servers for MP3s.

Any that are found on the student server are automatically deleted. Any on the staff side, we generally drop a line to the member of staff explaining why they cannot have their music collection on College servers, and give them a time limit to remove. This is generally 1 week (the time between each search).

I have also been known to rename music folders with something like "Should this be on a college server". People soon get the message.

I would rather do this than worry about the legal complications.

2. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

SimpleSi (20th October 2011)

Thank Post
    I think you have to be careful with that approach - if you are known to regularly remove dodgy stuff, it could be seen as implying that anything you leave you are deeming to be legally ok. Then when something slips through the net and you get audited it's you that's facing the awkward questions rather than the member of staff who put the file there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,638 Times in 2,042 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If a child has music on your system which is used as part of their coursework, then it is not infringement, it is exempted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (Section 32).

Which is why I can't just go around wiping music on our server at my new school, as there are a good number of courses the kids take which involve video editing etc...

However! If it is being used for this purpose, it must be accompanied by an acknowledgement of the copyright owner.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Regarding the PRS licence, if you're an LEA school you may find that you're covered there anyway. We don't actually buy any licences now as we're covered for PRS, PPL, CLA, PVSL, ERA+... through the county council.

As others have said though, by the strict letter of the law, as it stands today - format shifting is illegal. There are plans to change it and the music industry has stated they don't give a monkey's, but it is, definitely, indubitably, still illegal.

Thank Post
    I would also suggest that sticking the files on a common drive is worse than format shifting because anyone in the school can copy them so you are effectively using the school server to share what are effectively pirated files.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ToyHeartsFan View Post
    I would also suggest that sticking the files on a common drive is worse than format shifting because anyone in the school can copy them so you are effectively using the school server to share what are effectively pirated files.
    Yeah that what i thought, your saying to everyone "Here, take a copy for yourself"

Thank Post
    Finally got to the bottom of this and it turns out that getting the right licence to cover our backs is proving to be very expensive. The so-called "experts" have told the bursar that to get the licence the school would need to seek out every record company and ask their permission, and pay, to play the songs that they've produced.

As a result of this, it's been decided we won't bother with it and make sure that nobody is to rip or store converted tracks on the school network. This has ultimately freed up 20GB of free space!!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    ProDub will cover you for format shifting

ProDub Licence

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    If a child has music on your system which is used as part of their coursework, then it is not infringement, it is exempted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (Section 32).

Which is why I can't just go around wiping music on our server at my new school, as there are a good number of courses the kids take which involve video editing etc...

However! If it is being used for this purpose, it must be accompanied by an acknowledgement of the copyright owner.
    I was led to believe that that was a bit of a grey area about whether coursework constituted an examination.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12