+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Car Help - Cold Start Problems in General; Hi all, Don't have a clue about cars, but a few here seem to so I'll post my problems in ...

Thank Post

Car Help - Cold Start Problems

Hi all,

Don't have a clue about cars, but a few here seem to so I'll post my problems in the hope someone can point me in the right direction.

On a cold morning (this morning for example) it will take 10-20 seconds to turn over. Once warm it starts fine. So what could it be?

In the last 6 months I've had a new fuel filter, a new air filter, new glow plugs, and a new glow relay thingy majiggy. It started around jan of this year, but with the summer being here the problems weren't as bad so has gone forgotten until now.

Need more info, please just ask.

Thank Post
    Just getting old!

Thank Post
    Battery alright in the car? Guessing its diesel. Might be worth getting it checked at a garage.

I now own a diesel so might have a same problem in time

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Was going to say starter motor or solenoid but that shouldnt be affected too much by heat, i'll ask a car mad mate later! Battery would be a big possability, they tend to become less efficant and 'leek' charge alot more in the cold, as newpersn said diesels are much more prone to this

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hightower View Post
    Hi all,

Don't have a clue about cars, but a few here seem to so I'll post my problems in the hope someone can point me in the right direction.

On a cold morning (this morning for example) it will take 10-20 seconds to turn over. Once warm it starts fine. So what could it be?

In the last 6 months I've had a new fuel filter, a new air filter, new glow plugs, and a new glow relay thingy majiggy. It started around jan of this year, but with the summer being here the problems weren't as bad so has gone forgotten until now.

Need more info, please just ask.
    When mine did this it was the Glow Plugs, as you have said you've changed them, are they getting power? One 'trick' I used to use was to turn ignition so the glow plug lit, turn it off then on again (the IT way of doing things) so they had at least two charges. Failing that I had some spray that I used to spray into the intake that used to start first time.

Thank Post
    battery, or the charging thereof (alternator) or if it's a diesel perhaps the wax stat / thermostat that tells the glowplugs how cold it is and therefore how long to heat for?

Thank Post
    I'd look at the battery first. Easier to check than glow plugs. Then glow plugs. Then take it to a proper man!

Thank Post
    I know is sounds odd, but do the interior lights work correctly?

Some diesels start the glow plugs when you unlock the car or open the door. Are you waiting for the glow plug light to go out before you start the car?

Also does it have an external temperature gauge? Is this giving accurate information? The temperature sensor will also give data to the car's engine management unit.

What sort of car is it, and how old.

Thank Post
    what car is it?

I got a 04 Reno Laguna with a card start (push start), It wont let me start the car until it does a glow plug cyle. and if i leave it long enough it will do it again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,669 Times in 2,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    As above, battery, corrosion/looseness on the battery contacts. Grounding points, there are several that pass current into the chassie and if these have corroded it will make the car sluggish to start by putting more strain on the electrical system, this coupled with the battery would cause difficulty starting.

Thank Post
    Could be an air leak or a blocked filter in the pickup at the fuel tank end?

Thank Post
    Is there a glow plug 'heater' warning light (amber) that comes on when you turn the key & goes out after a short while? Are you waiting for it to go out? How old is the car & how old is the battery? If it is more than 4-5 years old I would begin to suspect this, as others have suggested.

Thank Post
    a new battery will sort it or borrow somones charger and charge it overnight

Thank Post
    Ah, forgot to say it had a brand new heavy duty battery fitted about 6 months ago. It's a 53 plate Astra 1.7CDTi. Also, the external temp sensor never worked but never caused a problem in the 1st and 2nd winter I had the car. However, this was fixed last week (and gives accurate info!) but still hasn't improved it.

As for heater lamp, it stays on for around 2 seconds at 4 degrees (this mornings temp). I waited for around 15 seconds before attempting to turn the engine over. Also, before I attempted this I turned off and then on again so the glow plug lamp comes on again 3 times just to try and make sure. So my procedure this morning was:

Turn on, wait 15 seconds turn off
    Turn straight back on, wait 2 seconds, turn off
    Turn straight back on, wait 2 seconds, turn off
    Turn straight back on, wait 2 seconds
    Attempt to turn engine over.

Thank Post
    Also, it was in for an MOT last week, and a friend does the work. He had it hooked up to the machine as I told him about it and there were no error codes on the machine - he said nothing stood out as a problem.

Hope I don't have to take it to a diesel fitter as that will end up costing a fortune!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast