+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Apple updated TOC's in General; I went to update Itunes yesterday, and noticed they have updated the TOC's. Hidden a little way down, there is ...

Thank Post

Apple updated TOC's

I went to update Itunes yesterday, and noticed they have updated the TOC's.

Hidden a little way down, there is now a restriction on the number of devices you can download your apps to (10 including up to 5 authorised computers).

iTUNES STORE - TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Also to note, the UK TOC's state:
    (i) You shall be authorised to use iTunes Products only for personal, noncommercial use.
    So anyone using itunes for business in the UK is actually breaking the TOC's.

Oh isn't Apple fun!
    Last edited by Rydra; 13th October 2011 at 09:46 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I wonder if charities would come under non commercial or business

Thank Post
    Read the second part - it's concurrent use they're concerned about.

(ii) If you are a commercial enterprise or educational institution, you may download a Mac App Store Product for use by either (a) a single individual on each of the Mac Computer(s) used by that individual that you own or control or (b) multiple individuals on a single shared Mac Computer that you own or control. For example, a single employee may use a Mac App Store Product on both the employee’s desktop Mac Computer and laptop Mac Computer, or multiple students may serially use a Mac App Store Product on a single Mac Computer located at a resource center or library. For the sake of clarity, each Mac Computer used serially by multiple users requires a separate license.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    that means

1 licence per device

Thank Post
    its because of the whole way WiFi sync and iCloud work with the automatic OTA backup and what have you, thats my guess anyway

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    I went to update Itunes yesterday, and noticed they have updated the TOC's.

Hidden a little way down, there is now a restriction on the number of devices you can download your apps to (10 including up to 5 authorised computers).

iTUNES STORE - TERMS AND CONDITIONS

Also to note, the UK TOC's state:

So anyone using itunes for business in the UK is actually breaking the TOC's.

Oh isn't Apple fun!
    I know several of our staff that are using iTunes to play music for dance classes, what is strange is Microsoft got shot for doing all this Business/Home editions where as others are just simply saying HOME ONLY. Strange how the wheel turns.

Can you pay extra for "Work" or is it Home only - tough if you dont like it?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,753 Times in 2,028 Posts
    I bet this has more to do with the record labels than anything else, since the T&Cs for Spotify, GrooveShark, Last.fm state that they are for personal, non-commercial use too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 820 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you guys seen this?
    While a Mac or PC can be authorized with more than one Apple ID at a time, only one can be associated with an iOS device in any 90 day period. Being able to sync past purchases from more than one account just isn't possible.
    Source: iCloud transition off to a rocky start for MobileMe, family users
    So basically you can enable a device with an appleid but cant stick another on for 90 days! I *think* thats what that means.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,071 Times in 987 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour View Post
    Have you guys seen this?

So basically you can enable a device with an appleid but cant stick another on for 90 days! I *think* thats what that means.
    Had mobile me from about middle of december last year and my iphone now its updated to iOS 5 keeps complaining about me needing to check my mobile me authentication settings ( which have always been the same for the last 2 months ) and was working fine up until a few days ago. Can't transfer my stuff to the iCloud as waiting for my replacement mac ( 2011 mac mini ) to arrive at some point today.

Am sure for computers it has always been 5 devices, not sure about iOS devices though

Thank Post
    There's always been a limit to 5 machines with itunes per account, but up till now there's never been a limit on number of devices you could download the apps to.

The question is wheither it's enforced like the 5 itunes PC's per account is, or wheither it's a guideline Apple expect you to adhere to.

There's also the question of wheither this covers existing purchases or just future ones.

And lastly, if they are making these stipulations about home/personal/non-commercial use, then the stupid buggers really need to fix their business support, and fix it like 3 years ago, because they will NEVER break that market if they continue to make it a legal minefield to work with.

I am now looking at running 5 or more seperate Itunes accounts, and having to buy these apps 4 more times at significant cost to the school, plus I will need to buy an Apple MAC with the Server OS installed just to manage these devices without wanting to kill myself, and even with that I'm technically breaking Apple's TOC's because of how the devices can/may be used.

And I won't get started on the complete lack of support for managing multiple devices, as I'll only hate myself even more for agreeing to work with these rubbish in the first place.

Thank Post
    "SO" glad that WebFolder mobile is a web service and NOT an app!
    and to clarify why.. It's because I would not want to be the person in ANY company who has to deal with the headache that Apple's ToC's appear to be.
    Last edited by JohnCondon; 17th October 2011 at 03:31 PM. Reason: clarity

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Have you guys seen this?

You can't stick another AppleID on it within 90 days. This could partly be related to the idea of multi-user access on a device not being something Apple are into. They want everyone to have their own iOS device after all. You also have the problem of trying to sync photos, etc to two different accounts at the same time ... something iOS doesn't like. So, limit change to try and stop the problem rather than fix it?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    iOS devices before were not a problem but now since iOS 5 it seems to imply you can only use your account on once device per 90 day period but I am not sure how that works when it comes to syncing with a pc.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    You can't stick another AppleID on it within 90 days. This could partly be related to the idea of multi-user access on a device not being something Apple are into. They want everyone to have their own iOS device after all. You also have the problem of trying to sync photos, etc to two different accounts at the same time ... something iOS doesn't like. So, limit change to try and stop the problem rather than fix it?
    This could be a big gotcha for a school tbh considering there is nothing stopping a pupil logging an account out and logging in as themselves thus locking the school out for 90 days!

I suspect this is not due to photo issues as you suggest as that would make no sense tbh but more to prevent app's/music. If I log in/update and ipad it doesnt have a problem merging its photos up to the stream and it would only sync the account logged in at the time, also you just leave photos off for the second account and the problem wont occur.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    iOS devices before were not a problem but now since iOS 5 it seems to imply you can only use your account on once device per 90 day period but I am not sure how that works when it comes to syncing with a pc.
    You can still use your AppleID on multiple devices, e.g. on iPhone and iPad, as well as one a desktop.

With the desktop the control panel only allows one AppleID anyway, but some of us used to access other MobileMe accounts in various ways ... but I don't know how I would do that with iCloud accounts yet. Not had chance to check.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast