+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Interview tommorrow in General; Got an interview tomorrow for an IT support position in a council run school (well C of E), currently I ...

Thank Post

Interview tommorrow

Got an interview tomorrow for an IT support position in a council run school (well C of E), currently I work in a private school. What should I expect and should I do it?
    Pay is less too, just thought i'd give it a bash.
    Last edited by caffrey; 12th October 2011 at 03:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,116 Times in 1,012 Posts
    Good luck!

Thank Post
    Can I ask what area of the country?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,463 Times in 980 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Best of luck!

Thank Post
    thanks everyone,

North east area

Thank Post
    What is your reason for looking elsewhere for less money?

Thank Post
    Money's not everything, perhaps job satisfaction or happiness is more important to the OP?

Although I'm a complete hypocrite and am positively mercenary when it comes to work and money.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    Money's not everything, perhaps job satisfaction or happiness is more important to the OP?
    I agree - I have never worked in a private School, wondered if the working conditions differ.

Thank Post
    I've only ever worked in private schools. Can't say that I've found any of the conditions to be bad. Politics and attitudes can be rather bizarre though...

Thank Post
    This is the first school i've worked in so i've nothing to compare, always worked in the private sector previously.I've been in this school now for 3 years.
    I wasn't particularly looking for another job, someone pointed it out to me so thought i'd give it a go, first job i've applied for in years and somehow
    I got an interview.
    Payscales are more or less the same, maybe slightly higher - altho it is a big difference but money isn't a motivator for me I just enjoy IT.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,021 Times in 1,495 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pantscat View Post
    I've only ever worked in private schools. Can't say that I've found any of the conditions to be bad. Politics and attitudes can be rather bizarre though...
    +1 to politics and attitudes!

The main difference to pay and consitions is pay scales. State school staff are on pay scales and get annual points rises and increments as negotiated for their pay scale by the unions.

In the the independent sector most teachers are on National Pay Scales (they'd never recruit them if they didn't keep their cushy pensions), but the support staff are not. This means we are at the whim of the governors / trustees /bursar and pay rises happen if we're lucky.

The first couple of years at my school were very sticky for me due to a now retired Bursar. However, since then I have received fair rises... hopefully it will continue, but nothing is guaranteed.

On top of that, holidays are longer, but we actually have kids in school doing something almost year round and the school day is much longer. We are open 8am to 5.30pm daily for the children with teaching time between 8.30am and 3.45pm A neighbouring prep school teaches 8.30am - 4.30pm!

Oh and we have to pay VAT on everything except advertising!

Good Luck with the interview by the way!
    Last edited by elsiegee40; 12th October 2011 at 04:07 PM.

Thank Post
    I get free dinners too, which is a bonus - and they are really nice! so that has to be taken into account also

Thank Post
    From my own experience and that of colleagues who have worked in both sectors you have a more protection in terms of conditions in the state sector whereas the public sector can be more eccentric, shall we say! You may also have more options to get involved with other schools nearby on projects. Of course, as you'll be working for the great unwashed, there is tremendous job satisfaction and you now you'll have muchos kudos from the kids : )

Thank Post
    Good luck. Visualization and mirroring body language go a long way for me in interviews.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    +1 to politics and attitudes!

The main difference to pay and consitions is pay scales. State school staff are on pay scales and get annual points rises and increments as negotiated for their pay scale by the unions.

In the the independent sector most teachers are on National Pay Scales (they'd never recruit them if they didn't keep their cushy pensions), but the support staff are not. This means we are at the whim of the governors / trustees /bursar and pay rises happen if we're lucky.

The first couple of years at my school were very sticky for me due to a now retired Bursar. However, since then I have received fair rises... hopefully it will continue, but nothing is guaranteed.

On top of that, holidays are longer, but we actually have kids in school doing something almost year round and the school day is much longer. We are open 8am to 5.30pm daily for the children with teaching time between 8.30am and 3.45pm A neighbouring prep school teaches 8.30am - 4.30pm!

Oh and we have to pay VAT on everything except advertising!

Good Luck with the interview by the way!
    Although many new Acadamies/Free schools work in a similar manner to lots of private schools. The academy I work at is 8am - 5:30pm (teaching is 8:30 - 5:30) with free lunches for staff. All support staff were originally recruited on spot salaries although we're all being transitioned over to local government pay scales to make it easier in the future

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread