+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, ICT Budgets - me/ jumps up and down and does a little dance!! in General; If PC's are in need of upgrading badly, let them fall over, let the problems occur, just do your best ...
    Thank Post
    If PC's are in need of upgrading badly, let them fall over, let the problems occur, just do your best to keep it going and when they can't handle any more then tough - you have no budget for it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    If PC's are in need of upgrading badly, let them fall over, let the problems occur, just do your best to keep it going and when they can't handle any more then tough - you have no budget for it.
    This is how i currently behave, anything runs slow or falls over and people complain i send them in the direction of the ICT co-ordinator with an explanation of having no money, not his fault but he has more powers then me for wangling money

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Or just buy SSD drives for them

Only costs 60 quid per machine

Thats how we upgraded our old machines and they are fast and reliable now.

Thank Post
    Seriously.. we get 3k/year to run all printers and 3k for everything else (not including internet, rm support though - separate budget).

We haven't had new computers since January 2009 (latest PCs we bought where 6 in Summer 2010, core 2 refurbs from ict-direct). Our oldest are from Summer 2005. We have just managed to get a new server pushed through after fighting since March, which is 7.5yrs old and regularly crashing.

10k a year for new equipment? YES PLEASE! Some of you don't realise how fortunate you are to have an SMT who sees ICT as an intergral part of the school or at least recognises that it needs ongoing investment; even just a token budget gesture for new hardware would be appreciated here.

I'm guessing there will be some worse off than us too (god help them), as it's already a massive struggle for us as things stand..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dgsmith View Post
    Seriously.. we get 3k/year to run all printers and 3k for everything else (not including internet, rm support though - separate budget).

We haven't had new computers since January 2009 (latest PCs we bought where 6 in Summer 2010, core 2 refurbs from ict-direct). Our oldest are from Summer 2005. We have just managed to get a new server pushed through after fighting since March, which is 7.5yrs old and regularly crashing.

10k a year for new equipment? YES PLEASE! Some of you don't realise how fortunate you are to have an SMT who sees ICT as an intergral part of the school or at least recognises that it needs ongoing investment; even just a token budget gesture for new hardware would be appreciated here.

I'm guessing there will be some worse off than us too (god help them), as it's already a massive struggle for us as things stand..
    I thought our place was bad!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Or just buy SSD drives for them

Only costs 60 quid per machine

Thats how we upgraded our old machines and they are fast and reliable now.
    Must admit I am considering buying a few to stick in a room to see if anyone notices the difference and how it peps up things now they are getting cheaper and cheaper

Must admit a new Core I7 would be lovely for my workstation when I come to change it, I am due an apprentice so think they maybe getting my PC and can get the new PC for me that's fair right to say they are a 12 month post and next year we might not have one....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Must admit I am considering buying a few to stick in a room to see if anyone notices the difference and how it peps up things now they are getting cheaper and cheaper

Must admit a new Core I7 would be lovely for my workstation when I come to change it, I am due an apprentice so think they maybe getting my PC and can get the new PC for me that's fair right to say they are a 12 month post and next year we might not have one....
    Just built myself a nice core i7 machine for my work PC. You know you want to do it . And I won't mention my budget - it's just not fair

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Just built myself a nice core i7 machine for my work PC. You know you want to do it . And I won't mention my budget - it's just not fair
    Year 1 budgets are always shiny, its what you get in Year 5 to replace said shiny stuff when its all dull and tarnished..... I could mention my merger budget but that would be rude and make many cry on here however its a one off budget to buy shiny and its got me some shiny already but will soon be gone

Thank Post
    Maintenance budget for my little lot was £1.5k, licensing was £3k (already spent £12k!) nothing for new kit, half the equipment is over 7 years old, some even older. Wahay!

Thank Post
    I get 30k for everything (software, upgrades, maintenance). I look after 300 machines and 700 users, plus if the head decides she wants an extra IT room from somewhere (like she has the last 3 years) then she will pay for those machines out of a global pot of money - not my budget

Also come Easter im getting a nice shiny new network!! Every things going apparently! One perk of becoming an academy last month!!

Im going to go hide now before I get lynched!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,140 Times in 1,036 Posts
    I got 110k this year and then got an extra 100k (one off) through our building project, then there is 25k in the licensing fund and 10k in the Av budget.

Out of that i purchased 300 (150 replace, 150 new) new desktops, 7 imacs and a Mac pro, about 250 monitors (still got about another 100 CRT's!) an MSA bolt on Enclosure. 2 new servers (which arrived yesterday ) I've also yet to replace our aging telephone system which has 20k in there for. I've also replaced about 15 switches this year.

The network is 10x better yet the overall budget has been slashed by around 100k! (previous people where pretty rubbish and wasted money on cr*p)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,353 Times in 826 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm not gonna tell you how much I've spent this year...or what my budget for next is...

I will *definitely* get lynched

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,627 Times in 1,102 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And to think my school apologised at my interview saying the ICT budget wasn't very big.

Our school budget overall is pretty rubbish (2nd worse per head in the county! woo!) but I'm very lucky that the Head/Senior Team realise that IT needs money spending on it after years of underfunding/criminal wastage. I just never realised quite how lucky... but by the gods, it does make a difference, and everyone can tell.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I'm not gonna tell you how much I've spent this year...or what my budget for next is...

I will *definitely* get lynched
    Please do. The more honestly people post on here the more ammo for the likes of us struggling to find funding

Butuz

Thank Post
    @Domino Do you work in the independent sector?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast