+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, Help building home server in General; I've currently got a similar issue - currently using my Dell Optiplex SFF 1.86Ghz Core Duo 2 with 2GB of ...

Thank Post
    I've currently got a similar issue - currently using my Dell Optiplex SFF 1.86Ghz Core Duo 2 with 2GB of RAM with Win 2003. Machine is fairly quiet apart from the 500gb HDD. I need to think about getting more disk space and more RAM - but as its SFF I have limited options.

I'm thinking, I will virtual the server... but thinking either to buy QNAP NAS? or HP Microserver or to upgrade my current optiplex with more RAM and new HDD...

Any ideas?

Thank Post
    Both the NAS and Microserver are fantastic bits of kit. It kind of depends on what you need to do. if you want a box you can turn on and just use without having to run all the MS updates and constant messing with settings go with the NAS. If you need to use or learn an OS go with the HP Microserver.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    Both the NAS and Microserver are fantastic bits of kit. It kind of depends on what you need to do. if you want a box you can turn on and just use without having to run all the MS updates and constant messing with settings go with the NAS. If you need to use or learn an OS go with the HP Microserver.
    You can always use freenas on the microserver

Thank Post
    You can always use freenas on the microserver
    But the Qnap does a load more than a standard storage device. QNAP Systems, Inc. ( TS-219P+ Turbo NAS ) - Quality Network Appliance Provider

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Take a look at these guys....

Synology Network Attached Storage - Products :: DiskStation DS211

The DS4xx series holds four disks.

It comes with built-in DLNA server:
    Synology Network Attached Storage - Audio Station Multimedia Multimedia DSM3.2
    This looks interesting - how does it serve iTunes?

Gareth

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by edutech4schools View Post
    But the Qnap does a load more than a standard storage device. QNAP Systems, Inc. ( TS-219P+ Turbo NAS ) - Quality Network Appliance Provider
    This looks nice - it also does what I want it to do. One quick question - if I purchased one of these and used the iTunes Server to store my music (a lot of it) will it still let me drag and drop onto my iphone? (that is a relly dumb question I know).

Gareth

Thank Post
    This looks nice - it also does what I want it to do. One quick question - if I purchased one of these and used the iTunes Server to store my music (a lot of it) will it still let me drag and drop onto my iphone? (that is a relly dumb question I know).
    The itunes server is one of the few utils I have never used on the qnap nas as I have never really liked apple products. You could post the question on the qnap forums.
    QNAP NAS Community Forum • Board

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by garethedmondson View Post

Gareth
    If it uses the DAAP protocol (like most other NAS drives), then probably not.

If you want to try it, set up a ubuntu virtual machine (a live session should do) then install either mt-daapd/firefly media server or forked-daapd (most nas systems I've seen use mt-daapd/firefly)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well, my Microserver arrived (thanks @ServersPlus) but still wondering about the HDMI card.
    I want it to directly connect it to a quality amp for my MP3 collection. I have a Terratec Phase 22 pro soundcard knocking about, but I have a feeling it won't fit in the half-height slot.

What's the best way of getting HDMI out to a TV and sound out to a separates amp? I suspect it will be a HDMI card plus a separate sound card, unless anyone knows better?
    SLight fly in the ointment, it must work with Ubuntu 11.10. ATI have a better track record with open source....
    Last edited by jinnantonnixx; 28th October 2011 at 12:57 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jinnantonnixx View Post
    Well, my Microserver arrived (thanks @ServersPlus) but still wondering about the HDMI card.
    I want it to directly connect it to a quality amp for my MP3 collection. I have a Terratec Phase 22 pro soundcard knocking about, but I have a feeling it won't fit in the half-height slot.

What's the best way of getting HDMI out to a TV and sound out to a separates amp? I suspect it will be a HDMI card plus a separate sound card, unless anyone knows better?
    SLight fly in the ointment, it must work with Ubuntu 11.10. ATI have a better track record with open source....
    Couldnt you just use the hdmi to hifi and vga/dvi to screen or even hdmi to amp, amp to hdmi screen or even amp via hdmi to dvi lead to screen

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Samsung HD204UI. I have five in my MicroServer.
    Were £50 when I first looked a couple of weeks ago. Now they're £149.

Bu99ered if I'm paying that for them; I can wait.

Thank Post
    Sorry to drag this up again... I think I've decided on the Microserver business...
    But HP ProLiant Turion II N40L MicroServer - £100.. | Ebuyer.com ebuyer have changed the processor? Which ones better?

Also, this is trivial but my current Dell has an Intel core duo 2 1.86 - is the microserver AMD going to be worse performance?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kiran View Post
    Sorry to drag this up again... I think I've decided on the Microserver business...
    But HP ProLiant Turion II N40L MicroServer - £100.. | Ebuyer.com ebuyer have changed the processor? Which ones better?

Also, this is trivial but my current Dell has an Intel core duo 2 1.86 - is the microserver AMD going to be worse performance?
    Yes it will be worse performance, BUT lower power and therefore cheaper. Is the server currently maxing out the CPU?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiran View Post
    my current Dell has an Intel core 2 duo 1.86 - is the MicroServer AMD going to be worse performance?
    The processor used in the previous 1.3GHz MicroServer isn't that much slower than a Core 2 Duo E6300, so I would expect the 1.5GHz N40L to be more or less on par with it based on the benchmarks below...

Athlon II Neo N36L: www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=AMD+Athlon+II+Neo+N36L+Dual-Core
    C2D E6300: www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu_lookup.php?cpu=Intel+Core2+Duo+E6300+%40+1.86G Hz

15. Thanks to Arthur from:

kiran (15th November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,968 Times in 2,183 Posts
    For anyone wondering how the N36L compares to the N40L, you will want to take a look at this...

www.tenniswood.co.uk/technology/windows-home-server/comparing-the-old-and-new-hp-microserver-1-3ghz-vs-1-5ghz-editions/

17. 3 Thanks to Arthur:

CHR1S (14th November 2011), computer_expert (15th November 2011), kiran (15th November 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345