+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, More marketing BS from M$ in General; I don't know about 'perfectly acceptable' marketing practice, but it's certainly standard practice... it's no better or worse than the ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,594 Posts
    I don't know about 'perfectly acceptable' marketing practice, but it's certainly standard practice... it's no better or worse than the claim that "9 out of 10 cats prefer..."

Although a report to trading standards for investigation might yield interesting results. Is anyone a member of Which?

Thank Post
    Doesn't the fact that browsers can be told to act like others mean that somewhere along the line standards are not being stuck to? The sooner everyone creates something that works exactly to the rules the better and we can all stop bickering about which one works best and just go on to assess added features rather than what should be base functionality.

My 2p worth.

HBJB

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,652 Times in 2,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heebeejeebee View Post
    Doesn't the fact that browsers can be told to act like others mean that somewhere along the line standards are not being stuck to? The sooner everyone creates something that works exactly to the rules the better and we can all stop bickering about which one works best and just go on to assess added features rather than what should be base functionality.

My 2p worth.

HBJB
    Agreed, the main issue is that they refuse to agree on the 'rules' to start with, HTML5 is still a mess of competing proposals supported differently by different browsers/interests all supporting their own way of doing things that for the most part would give them an advantage or degrade the quality of the end product. When the rules are actually finalized we'll be on HTML6 and the same rubbish bickering will be happening with that.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Some browsers are just more compliant with standards than others - whats IE9 score on an acid test these days?
    The Acid3 Test

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    Some browsers are just more compliant with standards than others - whats IE9 score on an acid test these days?
    The Acid3 Test
    100/100 according to my machine just now, the mobile version is even quite good, comparable or better than most other smartphone browsers.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    100/100 according to my machine just now, the mobile version is even quite good, comparable or better than most other smartphone browsers.
    Thats not bad at all. last time i looked IE8 was around 20/100 lagging behind virtually everything. I do like it when MS stick to the rules.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Haven't Apple and other companies thrived for years doing this?
    Was thinking that.

I just did the test got 3/4 (IE8) then I looked around on that site had a compatibility issue it refreshed it self had the compatible pop up appear (at the top) now I get 1/4...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    Was thinking that.

I just did the test got 3/4 (IE8) then I looked around on that site had a compatibility issue it refreshed it self had the compatible pop up appear (at the top) now I get 1/4...
    Compatibility mode is pretty much IE7 hence the drop as people have discovered above it just checks the browser identifyer otherwise they would get into all sorts of trouble in all sorts of duristictions for compromising the security of people's browsers even if they made it painfully clear someone would get stroppy and sue them again. This is what happens when you sue people for including features or doing things.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12