+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, Priorities in General; See there is one problem right there, some schools will not have even half that to spend on IT. Most ...
    Thank Post
    See there is one problem right there, some schools will not have even half that to spend on IT.
    Most of those comments are rather sweeping. To an outside it would seem that you are saying that schools don’t keep tabs on their assets and don’t care about children’s safety on the internet? I am sure your fellow technicians would disagree. Perhaps you should start a poll to get a more definitive answer.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,977 Times in 1,447 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Granted, but you should realise that if a school has less than half that, they are seriously underfunded as there is a minimum amount per child that they get from the government. And of course schools keep tabs, but some places keep no accurate record or asset register, which is why its always the priority to do. I have been in places like I said with no asset register to speak of but each dept has a "rough idea" of where everything is. Not really ideal if auditors come in

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,064 Times in 818 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Re spending "days" re-cabling cabinets. Those days spent in perhaps the holidays may save half a day to a day of downtime in term time because the cabinet is neat enough and correctly labelled so you can re-patch easily without too much worry. That is a far more efficient use of time.

And I will confirm that it's surprisingly common for schools to be missing any form of asset management or inventory.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RingOfFlame View Post
    See there is one problem right there, some schools will not have even half that to spend on IT.
    Most of those comments are rather sweeping. To an outside it would seem that you are saying that schools donít keep tabs on their assets and donít care about childrenís safety on the internet? I am sure your fellow technicians would disagree. Perhaps you should start a poll to get a more definitive answer.
    You'd be surprised, especially regarding the former.

5. Thanks to AyatollahPies from:

RingOfFlame (11th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,459 Times in 1,718 Posts
    Your list is lovely but if you are a lone tech working part-time term-time only, it really is a wish list! After several years here, I have achieved some but by no means all of these.
    TBH - the most important thing is to get the whole thing working the best way possible - this does encompass things like filtering and safety, but tidy cabling, which I would love, has never quite made it to the top of the list.

7. Thanks to witch from:

SimpleSi (12th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,814 Times in 1,126 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I would split it into 2 areas ... Audit and Support ... and these should run parallel as much as possible.

Audit - This is about asking what you have, where is it, how is it set up, who by and how is it used?
    Support - This is about what problems are there, what is needed, how do we keep things running and who can do it?

FITS says that you should start on the support desk first, whether that is a simple log of incidents / requests or a full blown system. I tend to say that it is done at the same time as starting your asset audit. How can you fix something when you don't know what it is, where it is or how it is meant to work in the first place. The problem with this is what has already been pointed out by some folk ... time to do it and commitment from the school to allow you to do it. Many people keep a large amount of this in their head ... and trying to get it down on paper (or computer) is hard.

Sometimes you have to do it piecemeal as well ... start you supportdesk log as a simple spreadsheet and then move onto a larger system later. Only log desktops / laptops / servers and worry about existing licenses later. not perfect but can work.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I suppose having been through around 6 or 7 audits in my time I think of it as a priority to get it up to date. It irks me when some members of staff have it in their head then as it is IT equipment I would have gotten the blame.

As for cabs and rewiring, yes, it is always over holidays to minimise disruption!

Thank Post
    Big one that I cannot see is check the backups work!

Also check machines are up to date with AV and critical patches.

Another one to add in there is check you have images so if machines go down you can get them up and running. Do a full audit to see what you have as well.

11. Thanks to MatthewL from:

nephilim (11th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Well spotted, didn't think about the backups, AV and patches!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12