+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Samsung Galaxy S2 vs iPhone 4. What do I pick? in General; Originally Posted by j17sparky 7.1 stable came out a couple of weeks ago. I thougt they said they were reverting ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    7.1 stable came out a couple of weeks ago.
    I thougt they said they were reverting it back to RC because it wasn't stable enough to have a stable tag

Thank Post
    These posts are why the iphone people smile

Their Ithings do what they say on the packet very 99% of time and without having to fiff and faff

The maker issues updates to pretty much everyone at the same time and everyone knows whats what

You don't get someone saying my GPS doesn't work and another saying it does - the 1st one just takes it into a Apple store and gets it fixed/replaced so it does work without any hassle.

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post

Their Ithings do what they say on the packet very 99% of time and without having to fiff and faff

The maker issues updates to pretty much everyone at the same time and everyone knows whats what

You don't get someone saying my GPS doesn't work and another saying it does - the 1st one just takes it into a Apple store and gets it fixed/replaced so it does work without any hassle.

Si
    unless you hold it wrong you mean?

4. 2 Thanks to Domino:

j17sparky (2nd November 2011), teejay (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    unless you hold it wrong you mean?
    That's why I said 99% and not 100%

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Si
    but the difference being if you have a problem with an iphone that apple refuse to admit is a problem (the 4s battery drain for instance), you cant take it to an apple store, so other than that you are out of luck.
    With most other phones you have the ability to do something about it yourself.

plus, i dont see how this post makes any difference to an iphone user. someone has problems with their gps, i don't. we both have the same phone. so that doesn't exactly mean the iphone is better because i can take it into a shop to be told there is a fix coming.

this is sort of like the arguments of building your own pc or buying one from pc world. build it yourself and things can go wrong and its up to you, buy it from pc world and if it goes wrong just take it in and they will fix it. apple "genius" / pc world "engineer" - both are loosely affiliated with the real word

7. Thanks to MK-2 from:

aerospacemango (2nd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    but the difference being if you have a problem with an iphone that apple refuse to admit is a problem (the 4s battery drain for instance), you cant take it to an apple store, so other than that you are out of luck.
    With most other phones you have the ability to do something about it yourself.

plus, i dont see how this post makes any difference to an iphone user. someone has problems with their gps, i don't. we both have the same phone. so that doesn't exactly mean the iphone is better because i can take it into a shop to be told there is a fix coming.

this is sort of like the arguments of building your own pc or buying one from pc world. build it yourself and things can go wrong and its up to you, buy it from pc world and if it goes wrong just take it in and they will fix it. apple "genius" / pc world "engineer" - both are loosely affiliated with the real word
    Great post, Mk-2 (never thought I'd type THAT sentence!!!)

I agree with everything you've said there!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    Great post, Mk-2 (never thought I'd type THAT sentence!!!)

I agree with everything you've said there!
    PRNTSCR > CTRL+V
    You can never go back on that now!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    PRNTSCR > CTRL+V
    You can never go back on that now!
    I can...cos I can claim stress or something...or the influence of prescription drugs...or the moon....or Jupiter rising in Capricorn!!!

I'll find a way out, I tells ya!!

Thank Post
    @teejay
    Maybe its HTCs that are too loud then (I recorded them both into Audacity and there was a 10db diff)

And like I say, the GPS long time to lock is flaky - I'll time how long it takes each time in the car today and post later.

What does *#1234# give you back please?
    I get XWKF3
    XXKE7
    and
    XEUKD1
    Build date Jun 9

The 7 day return only ran out yesterday so give me a chance

Put my phone into download mode and tried using Odin last night but it didn't seem to recognise my phone existed

(Then had to pull the battery as there didn't seem to be a method to get out of download mode once your in it!)

Si
    Build Sep 14
    XWKI4
    XXKI1
    XEUKH2

Looks like you've got one that's been sat in the warehouse for ages, maybe give your provider a ring and demand a replacement?
    Last edited by teejay; 2nd November 2011 at 04:02 PM.

Thank Post
    Looks like you've got one that's been sat in the warehouse for ages, maybe give your provider a ring and demand a replacement?

I'll think I just try and get my PC to talk to the phone and update it myself.

Lets just try and be balanced here
    The 4S has been out a few weeks - NO manufacturer admits to anything they don't have too
    The Galaxy S2 has been out for 6 months and not a word from Mr Samsung about its faults - AFAICT they don't even issue changelogs when they issue a new version of the firmware.

someone has problems with their gps, i don't. we both have the same phone
    That's my point - we don't have the same phone as we are not on the same OS version (and also we have not done a fair test - you prob don't use the GPS in the manner that I do and the variable lock time would not be an issue )

that doesn't exactly mean the iphone is better because i can take it into a shop to be told there is a fix coming.
    What I'm saying is that if the GPS didn't work - the handset WOULD be faulty and it would get fixed - not so with a 'droid because of the fragmentation of the OS even across the same physical hardware.

When I say my Galaxy 2S is faulty what in fact I'm saying that its not as good in some departments as my 18 month old Desire running Froyo - low sound on headphones, which effects me trying to listen to it while MrsW watches BB and very variable GPS lock time which affects me as I use my phone as a speed limit alerter and my Desire always locked up within 100yds of driving and today I had 45 secs, 2 mins, 10 secs and 70 secs in my 4 journeys

Si

13. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

mac_shinobi (3rd November 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 974 Posts
    PC world "engineer", sorry but that just made me laugh !!

This thread along with some google fu is starting to put me off the idea of an android based phone - don't really fancy fixing the OS or I think the term was "Fixing your own roof" and having different OS versions etc on the same hardware with different faults.

I think the only thing that is good on the android phone so far is the Sat Nav and maybe real time backgrounds ( but even those seem a bit gimicky )
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 3rd November 2011 at 08:05 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The 4S has been out a few weeks - NO manufacturer admits to anything they don't have too
    The Galaxy S2 has been out for 6 months and not a word from Mr Samsung about its faults - AFAICT they don't even issue changelogs when they issue a new version of the firmware.
    The two highlighted sentences....as you say, no manfr will admit if they don't have to (such as the iPhone4 signal strength and "you're holding it wrong").

That's my point - we don't have the same phone as we are not on the same OS version (and also we have not done a fair test - you prob don't use the GPS in the manner that I do and the variable lock time would not be an issue )
    But technically we are on the same phone, if we have the same GPS chip inside, it's the same. It is not Samsungs fault that there are a variety of OS flavours out there. The problem lies in the fact we are using OS's not made BY Samsung so might not fully support the Samsung hardware as intended. I wonder how stable a new OS on an iPhone would be if not supported by Apple.

What I'm saying is that if the GPS didn't work - the handset WOULD be faulty and it would get fixed - not so with a 'droid because of the fragmentation of the OS even across the same physical hardware.
    Again I'm pretty sure the people who had an iPhone4 and had the signal strength loss would have assumed it WOULD get replaced because it is not their fault. Let's not forget it was basically public pressure that forced Apple's hand to admit it was a fault. My other point is, if you had an iPhone and it had a GPS fault, you take it into an Apple store and they say "sorry, our phone works, it must be you"....then what? you have absolutely no other options. With an Android phone you have the option to say "i'll try installing X to see if it fixes it" at the very least.

When I say my Galaxy 2S is faulty what in fact I'm saying that its not as good in some departments as my 18 month old Desire running Froyo - low sound on headphones, which effects me trying to listen to it while MrsW watches BB and very variable GPS lock time which affects me as I use my phone as a speed limit alerter and my Desire always locked up within 100yds of driving and today I had 45 secs, 2 mins, 10 secs and 70 secs in my 4 journeys
    fair enough. the sound i wouldn't really class as a fault, as to some it might be more than acceptable.
    With the GPS, you mentioned that if it was an iPhone you could return it as it was faulty. Why not return the S2 for a replacement? You have exactly the same option with an Android phone, just there isn't an Android store but it can still be returned/replaced/repaired

Thank Post
    Again I'm pretty sure the people who had an iPhone4 and had the signal strength loss would have assumed it WOULD get replaced because it is not their fault. Let's not forget it was basically public pressure that forced Apple's hand to admit it was a fault. My other point is, if you had an iPhone and it had a GPS fault, you take it into an Apple store and they say "sorry, our phone works, it must be you"....then what? you have absolutely no other options. With an Android phone you have the option to say "i'll try installing X to see if it fixes it" at the very least.
    Not that it is relating to the iphone 4 as agree ref public pressure on apple in regards to the signal issue and now have a free case for it which is more of a work around but either way even when I have it out of the case I don't hold it in that way where it effects the signal but thats a moot point anyway.

I had a 3GS that had GPS issues and they ( apple genius ) tried all the usual , low level firmware reset, no updates available as I had the handset on the latest revision at the time. Got the handset replaced on the spot no questions asked and we tested GPS and it all worked great.

I just don't understand what makes the android phones ( like the samsung S2 and sensation XL or sensation ) so expensive considering they are made of flimsy plastic, yes it has an 8mp camera and fast cpu and 1gb of ram so the money is spent on the hardware and then they run out of money to make a half decent case and ensure that the hardware is run on the same OS which supports the gps chipset and other features correctly ?
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 3rd November 2011 at 08:17 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    I just don't understand what makes the android phones ( like the samsung S2 and sensation XL or sensation ) so expensive considering they are made of flimsy plastic, yes it has an 8mp camera and fast cpu and 1gb of ram so the money is spent on the hardware and then they run out of money to make a half decent case and ensure that the hardware is run on the same OS which supports the gps chipset and other features correctly ?
    to be honest, with regards the s2, if the plastic backing bothers people, they need to look more at why they want a phone other than status symbol (or shiny shiny as i will call it henceforth!). i read reviews before going with the s2 that said "great phone but rubbish plastic back". i got the phone regardless and to be honest i've never even looked at the back of the phone.
    and again, the hardware and OS do run correctly together, sometimes there will be anomalies but it's unfair to blame samsung for what could be an android issue which might affect other makers too.

just lastly, the galaxy s2 and others expensive? seriously? i got my galaxy s2 on my current contract as a free upgrade. if i wanted an iphone4 on my current contract i'd have to actually upgrade my contract and then pay about £200 one off payment. the same argument could be said here, why are iphones so expensive when they have call issues and their software is so restrictive?

Thank Post
    to be honest, with regards the s2, if the plastic backing bothers people, they need to look more at why they want a phone other than status symbol (or shiny shiny as i will call it henceforth!). i read reviews before going with the s2 that said "great phone but rubbish plastic back". i got the phone regardless and to be honest i've never even looked at the back of the phone.
    and again, the hardware and OS do run correctly together, sometimes there will be anomalies but it's unfair to blame samsung for what could be an android issue which might affect other makers too.

just lastly, the galaxy s2 and others expensive? seriously? i got my galaxy s2 on my current contract as a free upgrade. if i wanted an iphone4 on my current contract i'd have to actually upgrade my contract and then pay about £200 one off payment. the same argument could be said here, why are iphones so expensive when they have call issues and their software is so restrictive?
    looking on 3, 02 and vodafone so far you have to fork out £200 up front for me to be able to pay around the £30 mark per month, I paid about £160 for my iphone 4 and went on £45 a month contract and that was 18 months ago when the iphone 4 was first released

Who are you with and how did you manage to get it for free, I was only looking on the 02 website not actually called and asked yet as been with 02 for 3 and a half years or maybe a bit longer.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast