+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Samsung Galaxy S2 vs iPhone 4. What do I pick? in General; I had a serious geekcrush on litening ROM, but looks like the dev has disappeared for the time being so ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I had a serious geekcrush on litening ROM, but looks like the dev has disappeared for the time being so I've jumped ship to checkROM revolution till he returns.

Seems fairly decent so far, and seriously shifts with the ninphetamine kernel. nice selections of themes/add-ons too

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Just to redress the balance a bit on the Galaxy S2 - its very nice to look at but its got at least 2 issues.

1. Low headphone sound level (compared to other devices - 10dB down on my wife's HTC Legend)

2. There are GPS issues (I run my own speedlimit app and whereas it used to get a GPS lock by end of the road- now sometimes if doesn't get one for several miles/sometimes it gets a lock sooner but nowhere near as quickly/reliably as my old HTC Desire)

Once you start trying to find out some facts on the T'internet - you get swamped by so much guff its very hard to discern the wheat from the chaff - this wasn't the case with the HTC Desire.

Si

Si
    Weird, just put my SG2 on full volume and compared it to my Sansa clip mp3 at full whack, no difference.
    Just walked outside with my HTC Desire & my SG2, the SG2 locked onto GPS virtually the same time, about 45 secs for both.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,626 Times in 1,936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    There are GPS issues
    The Galaxy S had GPS issues too...

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=842694

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,043 Times in 965 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    The Galaxy S had GPS issues too...

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=842694
    Bit worrying then - which is a good android handset to get for GPS then as I was looking at the galaxy S 2 / HTC Sensation with beats, are there any other handsets android based or similar. My iphone 4 contract ends soon and was hoping to be able to use a micro sim card so I could swap the sim card between the iphone 4 and an android phone so I could use GPS on android and the iphone 4 as an ipod for in car music as got stuff purchased from the iTunes store which no doubt is encrypted and easier to get onto my iphone then it will be onto an android type phone.

Thank Post
    @teejay
    Maybe its HTCs that are too loud then (I recorded them both into Audacity and there was a 10db diff)

And like I say, the GPS long time to lock is flaky - I'll time how long it takes each time in the car today and post later.

What does *#1234# give you back please?
    I get XWKF3
    XXKE7
    and
    XEUKD1
    Build date Jun 9
    Stop being a pansy then and put a custom ROM on it
    The 7 day return only ran out yesterday so give me a chance

Put my phone into download mode and tried using Odin last night but it didn't seem to recognise my phone existed

(Then had to pull the battery as there didn't seem to be a method to get out of download mode once your in it!)

Si

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    I had a serious geekcrush on litening ROM, but looks like the dev has disappeared for the time being so I've jumped ship to checkROM revolution till he returns.

Seems fairly decent so far, and seriously shifts with the ninphetamine kernel. nice selections of themes/add-ons too
    i just wish cyanogen would be stable soon i dont like touchwiz at all and freeze it and install adw launcher on any rom, so if it didnt have it installed in the first place i'd be saving a bit of space. i'm using cognition at the moment, really do like it, especially when you add jkays themes to it!

Thank Post
    I use a sat nav app on the S2 called Sygic and it never drops out of range and I find it as good as a tom tom. Headphone volume isn't as loud as other phones - I agree. I have had bad experiences with HTC but with Windows installed on the phone so that is probably why - I used to have a HTC Touch HD running Windows (Horrible memories).

Thank Post
    Samsung Galaxy S2 for the win over the iphone.

Thank Post
    Can somebody answer this for me (hopefully an iPhone lover can answer it), why do people protect the feelings of their iphone like its a living baby! They wont let any body share their negative opinion on them without being argumentative, they wont ever change from the iphone, and they just seem to think it's the best hence they have one because of this but this isn't the case. OK they are brilliant phones, but the new iPhone 4S is selling on ebay at the moment for in the region of 700-800, why is the iPhone 4S worth this when the Samsung S2 you can pick up on ebay for 300. Can anybody tell me what a 4S can do that the S2 can't?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by oalcock View Post
    Can somebody answer this for me (hopefully an iPhone lover can answer it), why do people protect the feelings of their iphone like its a living baby! They wont let any body share their negative opinion on them without being argumentative, they wont ever change from the iphone, and they just seem to think it's the best hence they have one because of this but this isn't the case. OK they are brilliant phones, but the new iPhone 4S is selling on ebay at the moment for in the region of 700-800, why is the iPhone 4S worth this when the Samsung S2 you can pick up on ebay for 300. Can anybody tell me what a 4S can do that the S2 can't?
    This is an extremely good question!

Since moving into the smartphone side of phones, I've had an LG GT540, and now a Galaxy S. I accept the limitations that both have/had, and get on with life.

iPhone owners, however, can't seem to let it lie, if you point out anything about the phone. As explained on other threads, my brother was exactly the same, and I used to rib him mercilessly! (Just for the sport!!) Since getting fed up with iPhone, and moving to HTC Sensation, he is a changed man!

Thank Post
    I was at a party the other week, and started to tell one person what I thought of iPhones, then a load of others joined in and all felt crushed when I told them that I don't like iPhones because of how restricted they are - they all weren't happy and I feel they may not like me as much as a person anymore.

Steve Jobs - you have ruined relationships! lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    i just wish cyanogen would be stable soon!
    7.1 stable came out a couple of weeks ago.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,255 Times in 786 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    7.1 stable came out a couple of weeks ago.
    However, I found it anything but...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    iPhone owners, however, can't seem to let it lie, if you point out anything about the phone. As explained on other threads, my brother was exactly the same, and I used to rib him mercilessly! (Just for the sport!!) Since getting fed up with iPhone, and moving to HTC Sensation, he is a changed man!
    I've got the 4s having had a 3g before, what swung it for me is the quality & amount of apps and the fact that I want something that I don't have to / won't have the temptation to mess around with to get stuff to work.

However I know it's not perfect, the fact it doesn't support flash is a pain but then with TV catch-up, iplayer and iTunes i don't feel that i'm missing too much (and if i'm really bothered i'll put the computer on!)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    However, I found it anything but...
    Was going to add "or is that what you mean"...

I'm on a nightly build somewhere between 7.1 RC1 and 7.1 stable and its been possibly the most stable rom I've ever seen, including stock. Don't think its ever crashed, froze, etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast