General Chat Thread, Projects in General; What Projects would you like to do, if you had some spare time & a little bit of spare cash ...
7th October 2011, 05:14 PM #1
What Projects would you like to do, if you had some spare time & a little bit of spare cash (or none, just spare kit laying around) in your budget?
Improve your backup facilities? Virtualize a few servers??
8th October 2011, 01:42 PM #2
Virtualise more, with a SAN. I have loads of old servers, which could probably be consolidated.
Upgrade to Gigabit to desktop in some places, though it's not in many areas we'd even slightly need this yet.
Wireless coverage in a few more places would be good.
Replace a few more of the legacy CRTs we have with LCDs (but they'd need to be 4:3 for the Smartboards!)
Setup VLANs on the switches (none at present) so I could give sixth formers and outside guests transparent wireless access
Obviously big variance in costs for these, but they're my top ones!
8th October 2011, 09:53 PM #3
I think our school would look at the following:
Replace some older switches
Tidy up our cabinet wiring - time is the cost here
Install a wireless network
Consolidate some servers - possibly virtualise what we can. This would mean purchasing one or two new/recon 64 bit servers.
Tidy up our backup routine (new software)
Get another technician so the current one could be promoted and I could resign as netman.
8th October 2011, 10:06 PM #4
This is how I roll
- Filtering - If Bloxx/Websense/Smoothwall is in place I will leave it to do its job, if anything else I will pull out when licencing runs out and go for Smoothwall every time, as not much else is good for education
- Next is firewall - ensure a decent one is in place, netgear firewall is not a bad one
- Next is infrastructure, at least 1 Cat5e / Cat6a point in every room
- Next is switching - ensure gigabit switches in each cab
- Next is fibre links between said cabs
- Next is making sure the cabinets are tidy
- Next is wireless - usually aiming for 100% coverage of the buildings and 70% coverage of the outside of the walls
- Next is virtualisation of servers - usually 1 server to cover 4 virtual servers
- Next is Monitors - having flatscreens gives everyone the thought that they are new and run faster
- Next is desktop machines / laptops - usually a RAM upgrade usually does the trick, however some cases a new desktop / laptop is needed
Thats pretty much the order of things when I work
8th October 2011, 10:32 PM #5
Revamp the Audio Visual in all of the classrooms. Have a standard setup in a nice cabinet that can't be messed around with.
By uk101man in forum Group Project
Last Post: 24th June 2008, 10:17 AM
By steve_nfi in forum Mac
Last Post: 13th March 2008, 07:01 PM
By beeswax in forum Educational IT Jobs
Last Post: 30th September 2006, 08:45 AM
By ChrisH in forum General Chat
Last Post: 15th February 2006, 07:21 PM
By Dos_Box in forum Group Project
Last Post: 6th September 2005, 12:20 AM
Users Browsing this Thread
There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)