+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
General Chat Thread, Steve Jobs : Visionary or not? in General; Originally Posted by Dos_Box Hmm. Not really, I had a good idea and took it as far as I was ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Hmm. Not really, I had a good idea and took it as far as I was able (remember when Dragonfly began to wobble?). Then Shaun took over the design and real running of the 'site', of which I now have minimal input into due to the fact most of it now goes over my head and I have the utmost respect for his vast knowlege of how things work. Everything you see on your screens has been his effort for many years now.
    Many of our best decisions/moves were also made with the help of others. For instance our first conf was organised by Grumbledook and Russ, as was establishing our contacts at BETT before they asked us to run the help point. In many cases I simply said 'yes' or 'no' as ideas and opportunities came our way. The differance between us and Steve Jobs is that we don't take credit for every little thing. We are a community, not a religion after all
    So you are all visionary's

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Post edited -Off topic.
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 7th October 2011 at 06:10 PM.

3. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

LosOjos (7th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    One last link, kind of touching on the Daily Mail article, but with some very good quotes in there:

This Dianamania is a slur on Jobs ? The Register

Let’s remember Jobs for what he achieved. He’d be the first to agree that there are more important things in the world than media devices, and he made that case very eloquently

6. Thanks to MK-2 from:

jamesb (10th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Steve Jobs, not a visionary but a maker of decent phones, I pick mine up on Friday

Thank Post
    I believe the Apple computer - compared to a Windows machine - is a far faster and more efficient machine. A computer geek friend of mine who knows his stuff said comparing the efficiency, speed and potential of the Apple machine to the Windows machine was like comparing a jet engine to a propeller engine. Didn't Steve Jobs invent the Apple computer? If so, in my opinion he is visionary in the sense that he was first to come up with that particular computer design.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MACKIO View Post
    Didn't Steve Jobs invent the Apple computer? If so, in my opinion he is visionary in the sense that he was first to come up with that particular computer design.
    No, Steve Wozniak was the brains behind the technology at the beginning of Apple, and since then a string of genius engineers have been.

10. Thanks to localzuk from:

MACKIO (10th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Superb in the Rebel Alliance, but whos visionary became the Empire.

Thank Post
    vi·sion·ar·y

Adjective: (esp. of a person) Thinking about or planning the future with imagination or wisdom: "a visionary leader".

Would suggest yes then.

Noun: A person with original ideas about what the future will or could be like.

Would open debates around the term "original" no doubt and call into question "Job's the Visionairy" The iPod wasn't a visonairy product (mp3 players had been around forever), but it's did change the game and that wasn't by accident. Making it work took vision becuase the existing soultions weren't working. (Apply that to tablets, and smart phones)

Synonyms: adjective. fanciful - imaginary
    noun. dreamer - daydreamer

yes and yes then.

For me, "Jobs' as a visionairy" was never in question. I think the arguments/debates about this often gets into his involvement in the technical side of things which tbh, I have no idea about his expertise in.

Always going to be a hot topic this one wasn't it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laptopsandspares View Post
    Would open debates around the term "original" no doubt and call into question "Job's the Visionairy" The iPod wasn't a visonairy product (mp3 players had been around forever), but it's did change the game and that wasn't by accident. Making it work took vision becuase the existing soultions weren't working. (Apply that to tablets, and smart phones)
    Please don't just focus on the iDevices. Jobs achieved a lot more before anything started with 'i'...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,270 Posts
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Please don't just focus on the iDevices. Jobs achieved a lot more before anything started with 'i'...
    No no, of course not. It was just my way of illustrating how some might argue the things Job's was involved in weren't "original" for the case against his "Visionairy" description. To my mind the technology involved almost isn't relevant, more the application of, and cohesion brought to table by Mr Job's ideas wether it was iSomething, animation, marketing etc etc ...

Thank Post
    I believe the Apple computer - compared to a Windows machine - is a far faster and more efficient machine. A computer geek friend of mine who knows his stuff said comparing the efficiency, speed and potential of the Apple machine to the Windows machine was like comparing a jet engine to a propeller engine. Didn't Steve Jobs invent the Apple computer? If so, in my opinion he is visionary in the sense that he was first to come up with that particular computer design.
    All of that rather hinges on which Mac and which PC you're talking about, doesn't it? They've both been around for 30 years.

Thank Post
    Then again if you compare what a Mac does and what a PC can do, there is also no comparison, Jet Engine I would agree, but for a single seater craft with healthy drinking water + fruit juice where the propeller is a 747 with its own bar and bouncer

I guess the definition of visionary would include most of us just on a much smaller scale. Hey - I am happy with that.

As for talking about Jobs did much more the the "i" most people who say he is "Jesus" are Mac/iPhone fans, not the ones who were even aware of his roll on Pixar etc. In fact most of them didnt even know (know a few of those personally) till they were reading articles released on Steve's passing.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567