+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
General Chat Thread, BBC axe HD channel in General; Finally got a chance to get back to my keyboard... Some good points and views coming in. Just a wonder ...
    Thank Post
    Finally got a chance to get back to my keyboard...

Some good points and views coming in. Just a wonder bu what would people do to fix this issue? Privatisation?

Thank Post
    personally to fix it i would close various radio stations do ANY of the digital ones have enough audience to be viable?

news 24 would go 24 hour news is in my opinion not a good thing anyway

maybe allow advertising on the website to make that part of the business self financing or at least add money to the coffers

as most people do have pvrs or access to iplayer might it be cheaper to roll bbc3 and 4 into one channel with longer hours?

im sure there is stuff the bbc is obliged to do (like bt is forced to install a phone line for anyone who wants one but yet virgin media arnt) maybe its time to look at that and just get back to the core of what it does tv/radio programs

is the red button / ceeefax worth having anymore as again its all avaliable on the bbc website and it does seem like it probably costs a lot for a minority service

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    BBC3 and 4 have different audiences though. BBC4 tends to have classier stuff then Mongrels on the screen.

TBH I think this is an improvement. BBC HD hasn't gone completely, it is just rolled into an existing channel. Just starts paving the way for all TV's and broadcasts to eventually go HD, just like we use colour instead of black and white.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    BBC3 and 4 have different audiences though. BBC4 tends to have classier stuff then Mongrels on the screen.

TBH I think this is an improvement. BBC HD hasn't gone completely, it is just rolled into an existing channel. Just starts paving the way for all TV's and broadcasts to eventually go HD, just like we use colour instead of black and white.

but with timeshifting/recording (pvr) / iplayer is broadcast time rally that relavant anymore so you could have bbc3 say (and no adverts) 7am -7pm and bbc4 7pm - 7am

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,442 Times in 991 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post

Mongrels is brilliant, shut up :P

How to fix the BBC? Put layers of protection between it and the government. Same way that health and education need fixing - stop politicians interfering...

Thank Post
    As said it was always going to end up that way anyway. But if they are strapped for cash how about they get rid of their overpaid talentless DJs and presenters - obviously this is old now but it does show how much money they are willing to waste linky

They say they won't scrap any channels but why not? Can anyone say they listen to their local BBC radio station? If you have you'll know its bloody terrible. Or BBC3 and 4... The amount of tripe which is on BBC1 & 2 they could surely make room for a few shows so that 3 & 4 could be got rid of.
    Looking at tonights BBC3 evening TV guide every show bar 1 between the hours of 7pm and 4.30am is a repeat. WTF, get rid of BBC3 and stop moaning that you've got no money. You've got more money than you know what to do with it if you can afford to keep channels devoted to repeats.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 7th October 2011 at 01:28 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mthomas08 View Post
    As much as I dont like the idea of giving my money to BSKYB looks like I might have to go down that route
    I flatly refuse to pay 600 odd quid a year to watch something that should be free, hopefully only a small minority of people will go to sky. It might not bankrupt them but i'll certainly feel better

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Can anyone say they listen to their local BBC radio station?
    Yes
    If you have you'll know its bloody terrible.
    Yours might be...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucy View Post
    I flatly refuse to pay 600 odd quid a year to watch something that should be free, hopefully only a small minority of people will go to sky. It might not bankrupt them but i'll certainly feel better
    I want to watch more football, movie channels, ( I have had enough of Virgin Media) and Formula1 is going there next season as well. Although its a lot of money I will probably go Broadband/telephone as well.

I dont want to but......

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    Yes

Yours might be...
    Well so is all of the surrounding ones as well as I can receive them also. Maybe its you that's the odd one out...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Brucy View Post
    thats my feelings as well after this year if i cant watch a full season of f1 i shall watch none. I honestly think i prefer btcc/aussie v8s more anyway and im not silling to line the pockets of phone hackers inc certainly not to the tune of 600 30 a race (yes i know you get other sports etc but i dont want 1000 shopping/god/advert (so argos/renault tv etc) and cba with football rugby and cricket)

Thank Post
    I can't say as I watch TV..I don't. I refuse to pay the license fee. There are some good things, but there's a lot of tat/repeated tat/reheated and useless tat as well.

I listen to BBC Radio Shropshire - I like it. Radio 4 as well..classical is fun. In the car it's Kerrang all the way. Too many channels now in my view for the content that's actually worth watching, the rest is just filled with bunk.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirbendy View Post
    I can't say as I watch TV..I don't. I refuse to pay the license fee. There are some good things, but there's a lot of tat/repeated tat/reheated and useless tat as well.

I listen to BBC Radio Shropshire - I like it. Radio 4 as well..classical is fun. In the car it's Kerrang all the way. Too many channels now in my view for the content that's actually worth watching, the rest is just filled with bunk.
    I'll second that. And can I also add that I absolutely refuse to buy new clothes as I know that I can always take anything I want from other people's washing lines.

14. Thanks to beeswax from:

DrCheese (8th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    but with timeshifting/recording (pvr) / iplayer is broadcast time rally that relavant anymore so you could have bbc3 say (and no adverts) 7am -7pm and bbc4 7pm - 7am
    The main issue with this is that BBC3 and BBC4 share bandwidth and transmission facilities with CBBC and CBeebies (they're effectively the same channels, just mapped to different LCNs), which is why 3 and 4 can't extend their hours at present.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    The main issue with this is that BBC3 and BBC4 share bandwidth and transmission facilities with CBBC and CBeebies (they're effectively the same channels, just mapped to different LCNs), which is why 3 and 4 can't extend their hours at present.
    fair enough id not even thought about that one

shame we cant just boot all the shopping pap/rabbit channels from freeview there would probably be enough bandwidth for all chanels in hd lol

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12