+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Please explain why we still use fax machines? in General; ...

Thank Post

Please explain why we still use fax machines?

Maybe a stupid question to some of you.
    I donít see why we still use them. Why donít we use emails and a scanner? Surly it's cheaper and more eco-friendly?

Must be some valid reasons why we do I just donít know them!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,707 Times in 1,520 Posts
    Familiarity.

Ben

rad
    Thank Post
    Its called Change, not everyone can accept it.

Thank Post
    we use a desktop computer in reception that has a modem in, can send a fax from any program in school by sending it to the fax printer

Works a treat and don't have to move out the office to send those annoying things.

Thank Post
    I think this image is relevant...

6. 2 Thanks to Chris_:

LosOjos (7th October 2011), sonofsanta (7th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,912 Times in 2,144 Posts
    this too...

8. Thanks to Arthur from:

LosOjos (7th October 2011)

Thank Post
    So other than people dis-liking change there is no valid reasons why fax is better than scan/email?
    A couple of months back I was helping a friend set up a PayPal business account and even PayPal requested us to fax off some information and even when asked they wouldn’t accept email/scan.
    I just don’t the point...
    Why are people so afraid of change…

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 868 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I often get asked to "fax" things usually from banks and insurance people. They all get told the same thing "I'm sorry, this is 2011 and I'm not trotting off to the library or museum to find a working fax machine. Is there a reason you can't accept email?"

Only once has someone answered yes - "because it can be forged"

"Ok, no problem - so if I forge this document and fax it to you, that's legally binding?"

"erm - well, thats our rules, sir"
    "No worries, if you can't accept it by email then I'll go elsewhere".

Thank Post
    I think it's something to do with how Fax's are considered an accurate / true copy of a document in a legal sence.

I think it goes that a faxed copy of a contract is considered in the Courts as quite super-duper.

Personally I quite like sending a fax, it's got an old-world quality that makes me feel nostalgic for my first internet connection.

Thank Post
    I used to service a Mufax fax machine in 1972. It comprised of two units the size small oven. One was a transmitter and one a receiver. They could be connected back to back, which made fault finding a bit easier. The paper had a china clay coating, which was burnt off by a hot stylus revealing the black backing. There was a bit of a smell and they weren't fast.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The reason it threefold, the main one is thanks to lazy lawyers. By law faxed documents are acceptable and emails are not, this alone would keep fax machines around. Reason two which is closely related to reason one is because there is no filter with fax, it goes from point a to point b with no spam filter etc. when you send it you know that a machine at the other end has recived it or if it has not, it also shows up on a phone companies records as a call which helps the whole legal thing.

Reason three is the compleity, hardware, format shifting one were faxes are easy because any thickwit who can use a phone, can use a fax machine. They only require a phone line and there is no issue about knowing stuff like supported formats at the other end etc.

I agree that fax is stupid given many modern advances but there is no real equivilent that is as simple, universal, tracked and accepted as a fax.

Thank Post
    Unless it's a plain paper fax, I think it still has to be photocopied for it to be legal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,134 Times in 868 Posts
    Blog Entries
    None of the legal things goes anywhere near an actual explanation as to why - because there is no reason other than legal red tape/laziness and a dislike for change. Phone numbers can be forged as can fax receipts just as easily as an email. I personally *hate* the fact that legal people, who are supposedly intelligent enough to serve us all in the cause of justice, are unable to see reason or accept that something might just be better. It diminishes my faith in these people and the very reason that I don't have legal representation costs on things like my car insurance - I will rip people to shreds on my own in a properly constructed manner fit for the modern era - not in a way that some moron in a wig suggests might be best.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    because any thickwit who can use a phone, can use a fax machine.
    Don't you believe it! There's always the "Do I need a 9" question and don't even get me started on which way up the paper goes! I have also heard stories of people being surprised that when they've sent their fax, "it's still here!" Yes that's correct, it's not supposed to physically send the paper down the phone line. You get to keep your original!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    None of the legal things goes anywhere near an actual explanation as to why - because there is no reason other than legal red tape/laziness and a dislike for change.
    I agree, these are not my reasons, just the ones that are used by the legal/old professions.

Thermal faxes were fun though. I heard a trick from a phone company employee to deal with fax spammers. Since most at that time used thermal paper and sheet feeders what you could do was get two bits of black paper and then fax that off to the number. As the paper went through you would tape the bits end to end so that the two peices formed an infinite circle. This kept the line busy with an infinite fax and due to the whole thing being black cranked up the thermal element on the reciving side to the max for a very long period of time often resulting in catostrophic failure of the remote fax machine

Unfourtunatly the satisfaction of making a spammers machine catch on fire is no longer avalible to us with later methods and is possibly the one true loss.

18. 3 Thanks to SYNACK:

CAM (7th October 2011), hicksonj (7th October 2011), synaesthesia (7th October 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast