+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Steve Jobs - Rest In Peace in General; Originally Posted by Sheridan Perhaps Apple are more of a designer label these days than a manufacturer of tech? They're ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,167 Times in 760 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Perhaps Apple are more of a designer label these days than a manufacturer of tech?
    They're more of a trend leader, think MP3 players before the iPod, smartphones before the iPhone and tablets before the iPad.

Yes, people have done it before - but their mix of marketing, UI and design philosophy make up more than the sum of their parts - and tend to galvanize other industry players into more innovation.

Personally I think driving that makes him a noteworthy guy, and I'll miss his keynotes.

2. Thanks to Domino from:

nephilim (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,998 Times in 936 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    They're more of a trend leader, think MP3 players before the iPod, smartphones before the iPhone and tablets before the iPad.

Yes, people have done it before - but their mix of marketing, UI and design philosophy make up more than the sum of their parts - and tend to galvanize other industry players into more innovation.

Personally I think driving that makes him a noteworthy guy, and I'll miss his keynotes.
    It's all the more telling that once Apple have re-done a product type, all the others follow Apple's design lead. It would be worth having a good idea, launching it badly, have Apple redesign it it for you and then copy them. It'd save a fortune in r&d!

rad
    Thank Post
    I remember using the "computer" in my primary school. It had an Apple logo that was multi coloured. Can I remember anything else, no. It was the use of that technology that got me here today. Thanks Steve, your picture graces our ICT Wall of fame outside our Office, who will be next to you, who knows. What I do know, is you have created something we all either love or hate, whatever people decide, they cant take away the fact that you have created a product that graces many homes.

RIP Steve

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I notice that people have purchsed the domain: ripstevejobs.tdl

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Don't worry guys its cool, Apple are gonna re-hire John Sculley, the iPad will be renamed the Newton 2.0 and everything will be tickety-boo again

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I think certain sites are going overboard on this. Turning him into a geeky version of Diana after her death with the amount of coverage.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Its a shame a man died young from a horrible disease.

As for Apple I am neither a fan nor a hater. I think they are masters of selling gadgets to fans of gadgets. They take a PC and make it look nice but its still a PC but now twice the price.
    Jobs, along with a few others invented the personal computer. What perhaps distinguished Jobs from the others was that he cared about the whole user experience - the hardware and the software. The Mackintosh was a ground breaking piece of kit for it's time and drove innovation across the market - without that pressure MS would have been satisfied with MSDos for ... well, perhaps forever. Jobs didn't just succeed with that kind of innovation once, he seemed to be able to do it again and again. That's a very very rare talent.

IMO Jobs is a sad loss. Apart from anything else it reminds me of my own mortality and that while personal computers have revolutionised nearly every aspect of life in the relatively short time they have been around, that 'relatively' short time is long enough that the young faces that stared out of the covers of computer magazines of old are now starting to pass on - the beginning of the end of the generation who in 30 years have been the catalyst of more change than perhaps in the previous 3000.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    XKCD's image:

Steve Jobs - Rest In Peace-eternal_flame.gif

http://xkcd.com/961/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    the beginning of the end of the generation who in 30 years have been the catalyst of more change than perhaps in the previous 3000.
    I am sorry, now there is a prime example of over hyping, what a load of old tosh (no pun intended).

12. 2 Thanks to Disease:

JoeBloggs (6th October 2011), mattx (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    I am sorry, now there is a prime example of over hyping, what a load of old tosh (no pun intended).
    Care to explain? Technological advancement has proceeded at an exponentially higher rate in the last 30 years than the centuries before it. The number of achievements, improvements, new ideas, new devices, new technologies and new discoveries in the last 30 years is larger than all the discoveries in previous human history.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    +1

He's made (existing) Tech better in the last 30~ years, but 3000 years? Really?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Care to explain? Technological advancement has proceeded at an exponentially higher rate in the last 30 years than the centuries before it. The number of achievements, improvements, new ideas, new devices, new technologies and new discoveries in the last 30 years is larger than all the discoveries in previous human history.
    but if we're going to be looking at it like that, you could argue that more innocent people have died in the last 100 years through man made devices used in war than has died in the past 3000 years of war

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    but if we're going to be looking at it like that, you could argue that more innocent people have died in the last 100 years through man made devices used in war than has died in the past 3000 years of war
    Yup. Saying one positive thing doesn't mean all negatives suddenly don't exist...

Thank Post
    So where would be be now without the industrial revolution, or did that happen in the last 30 years, or the invention of the wheel or was that in the last 30 years etc. etc.

Or the Microprocessor.
    Last edited by Disease; 6th October 2011 at 03:57 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast