+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Steve Jobs - Rest In Peace in General; People who make a massive impact on the world and are visonaries are Nobel prize winniners, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, ...
    Thank Post
    People who make a massive impact on the world and are visonaries are Nobel prize winniners, Martin Luther King, Ghandi, Nelson Mandella, Mikhail Gorbachev etc., these are people who have changed the world and whilst I have sympathy for anyone passing, I think the hype over the man Like Visionary, Amazing Human Being etc has been blown out of proportion.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DrCheese View Post
    What? You can install Windows on Mac's fine. You can use your own hard drives fine. If you are referring to the macbook air that has oddly shaped SSDs to fit the form factor, you can still get third party drives for those.

The Anti Apple crowd are just as stupid and love tripping over themselves as much as the hardline apple fanboys.
    Really.

Apple Further Restricts Upgrade Options on New iMacs | Other World Computing Blog

Thank Post
    I think we should keep on topic. The thread is Rest In Peace - let's try keep it to that. At the end of the day a man has died, like him or not.

4. 14 Thanks to JoeBloggs:

ajbritton (13th October 2011), andy_nic (6th October 2011), CHR1S (6th October 2011), Dos_Box (6th October 2011), Earthling (7th October 2011), elsiegee40 (6th October 2011), GrumbleDook (6th October 2011), localzuk (6th October 2011), LosOjos (6th October 2011), PEO (6th October 2011), Roberto (6th October 2011), Sean-OC04 (6th October 2011), stevenlong1985 (6th October 2011), synaesthesia (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Hence my post above where I say I have sympathy for the mans family, but if people want to make him out to be something he is not I am entitled to offer a balancing opinion.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,513 Times in 1,750 Posts
    BACK TO TOPIC PLEASE.
    I think it is very sad - he was an innovative creator and a good businessman. I would stop short of visionary but he definitely contributed massively to the world of tech.

Many other huge companies have sued all sorts of people and put obstacles in their way - it really isn't just Apple so lets leave that shall we?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,540 Times in 1,975 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    May I point out some of the biggest positive changes to the world (not just in IT) have been from the less savoury characters.
    Indeed. Look at Henry Ford, he was no angel, but he was a visionary and basically transformed the automotive industry.

Thank Post
    iRIP. Sad when anyone passes.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    I don't seem to recall this much reaction when Robert Norton Noyce died. Without him Jobs and all the others would be nothing.

10. Thanks to mattx from:

LosOjos (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I have a feeling this thread could get VERY sidetracked very soon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    I have a feeling this thread could get VERY sidetracked very soon
    Godwin's Law ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,828 Times in 1,135 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    He was totally no saint. He did however recognise good ideas and promote them well, unfourtunatly the engineers that developed and/or thought up most of it were thrown under the bus in the end. It may be a loss that he is gone and condolences to his family and friends but I'm pretty sure humanity will survive just fine without him.
    It isn't just about surviving though, is it.

I know folk have issues with him and the approach that Apple have taken under his second term at Apple, but would we be in the same position now if his drive hadn't been a catalyst? Would Woz have gone on to make the Apple II the success it was? Would the market for portable music devices be where it is? Would the smartphone market be as competitive as it is?

Then we look at the importance of design in the Apple ethos ... it was not solely Steve's .... far from it. Reading a friend's blog yesterday (she was actually talking about dealing with customers and designing share point builds) she pointed out that a lot of what happens with design is compromise. With Microsoft you get the UI and ease of use is sacrificed to increase functionality, and with Apple you will have features / functions removed to improve UI / ease of use. I know this is a slight generalisation but does cover an important point ... the design aspect of things was not just a marketing ploy (but marketing did make it that way) and that didn't stop Apple trying things out. It didn't always work (lamp stand iMac, Cube, etc) in commercial terms or even technical terms (iPhone4 antenna?) but there was always that expectation that if anyone *can* do something interesting then it is worth seeing what Apple is doing, even if it is just taking something from someone else and making it sparkle.

I am not saying that Steve was the only visionary about, that for some it is his earlier work which was more impressive / important, that he didn't make some massive mistakes, just that he was a leading personality in driving change in tech, something recognised by many other notable folk in the tech arena (including competitors / friends) ... and that this drive will be missed.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,247 Times in 1,031 Posts
    Blog Entries
    It is a tragic loss, because, faults aside, Steve Jobs did see things in a way most of us do not. He saw the way things 'should' be, and regardless of the implementation of the item he steered the tech industry in a way few others ever had. When the iPod was launched there were already personal MP3 players around, but his design ensured that everyone else would follow in a similar suite. The same goes for the iPhone. The design of the Mac computer/laptop saw a big shift away from beige boxes. The same goes for GUI's. Not Apple's idea, but their introduction of it paved the way ahead for almost all modern operating systems. And even the biggest Apple critic couldn't pick up a piece of Apple hardware and quietly think 'Nice' to themselves.
    He will be missed, and it will be quite some time before anyone else with that kind of vision appears on the scene again.
    Goodbye Steve, and thanks for all the ideas.

15. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

Netman (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    As many know, I'm not a fan of Apple's current line of products, but anybody denying the fact that Steve Jobs made a huge contribution to the world of IT and technology is a fool.

The very fact that the Apple vs. PC debate exists and has been going strong for so many years is testament to the fact Apple have been major players since the start and that's very much thanks to Steve Jobs! At a time when damned near everybody was ripping off IBM's architecture [they made the details open to encourage development, they actually just got stung out of a fortune and that includes by Microsoft!] Steve Jobs tried to do something different with Apple and fair play to him!

I'm not about to back track and say I love Apple products because I don't, but that's my opinion and many disagree.

RIP Steve Jobs, I hope Apple's competitiveness continues to help drive forward technology like it did while you were in charge.

17. 2 Thanks to LosOjos:

nephilim (6th October 2011), Netman (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    I didn't buy an iPod.
    I don't possess an iPhone.
    I don't own an iPad.
    Yet, somehow, I still survive.
    So, who needs junk?
    Moreover, who needs expensive junk?
    Not me.

I don't seem to recall this much reaction when Robert Norton Noyce died. Without him Jobs and all the others would be nothing.
    Been given neg rep for this ? Oh please........

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,219 Times in 828 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    Agree with you, but he died in 1990, the internet wasn't in many homes then (which is where the bulk of the spread of news happens these days let's face it!) and he wasn't as much in the public eye as Steve Jobs, so I'm afraid it was always inevitable this would get more coverage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast