+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, Steve Jobs - Rest In Peace in General; Originally Posted by tech_guy RIP Steve Jobs. If only Apple had come to the fore and not Microsoft..... Do elaborate...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tech_guy View Post
    RIP Steve Jobs. If only Apple had come to the fore and not Microsoft.....
    Do elaborate

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Disease View Post
    Morally void Apple, considering he was Apple that would call into question his Morals.

He was not a visionary as people claim, he was a bloke with questionable ethics who was good at designing eye candy. Lets not overhype his contribution to the world.
    Part agree and part disagree. He certainly had strong ruthless streak and was no angel. However his design and the products changed technology. MP3 players brought by techies released ITouch and design meant for first time consumers wanted the device. Smart phones (it was business world and techies that brought them - released Iphone and consumers then wanted a smart phones. Both times competitors followed afterwards and tried to match design of the apple products.

Thank Post
    Yeah, not an Apple Fan Boy here, but I certainly recognise his contribution to modern living and lifestyles.

Shame.

Thank Post
    Very sad day. I hope Apple survives his passing and dosent have another wobble.

iSad

#thankyousteve

RIP Steve Jobs

Thank Post
    Pancreatic Cancer Research Fund - The Charity Dedicated To Defeating Pancreatic Cancer By Funding Innovative Research

Lost my grandfather to pancreatic cancer too. The stats are quite awful.

RIP

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Morally void Apple, considering he was Apple that would call into question his Morals.

He was not a visionary as people claim, he was a bloke with questionable ethics who was good at designing eye candy. Lets not overhype his contribution to the world.

By visionary, genius etc, I am not at all referring to any product starting with "i". That rules out most of Apple's ruthless marketing and legal morality issues. This is not about Apple, this is about a man who has without any doubt made a HUGE impact on the IT world and without him, things would be very different. If you think otherwise, then you're either too young or ignorant to remember when he was actually making a difference and laying the foundations for today's electronic and computational impact. And this is coming from me - probably the most anti-Apple person in this entire community. That opinion however will not cloud or otherwise bias my judgement of a man who has done more for us than we could possibly conceive.

7. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

BatchFile (6th October 2011)

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    RIP Steve Jobs, his successor certainly has very big shoes to fill. Lets hope apple keeps the same goals and inspirations.

Thank Post
    RIP Steve.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,066 Times in 623 Posts
    I didn't buy an iPod.
    I don't possess an iPhone.
    I don't own an iPad.
    Yet, somehow, I still survive.
    So, who needs junk?
    Moreover, who needs expensive junk?
    Not me.

I don't seem to recall this much reaction when Robert Norton Noyce died. Without him Jobs and all the others would be nothing.
    Last edited by mattx; 6th October 2011 at 09:15 AM.

11. Thanks to mattx from:

mats (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    By visionary, genius etc, I am not at all referring to any product starting with "i". That rules out most of Apple's ruthless marketing and legal morality issues. This is not about Apple, this is about a man who has without any doubt made a HUGE impact on the IT world and without him, things would be very different. If you think otherwise, then you're either too young or ignorant to remember when he was actually making a difference and laying the foundations for today's electronic and computational impact. And this is coming from me - probably the most anti-Apple person in this entire community. That opinion however will not cloud or otherwise bias my judgement of a man who has done more for us than we could possibly conceive.

So you obviously discount the contribution to the computer world Bill Gates has made, let's not forget Steve Jobs has done loads to stifle technolog development, multiple law suits like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 so as not to encroach on Apples dominance, or the fact that Apple does not allow other OS's on their hardware or their OS's on other Hardware. And the fact that apple decided to lock out the use of non apple hard drives.

No Apple/Jobs does not stifle innovation, unless the innovations compete with apples/Jobs bottomline.

Please do not taint the word Visionary with this mans name, it's disrespectful to true visionaries.

13. 2 Thanks to Disease:

mats (6th October 2011), nephilim (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    So you obviously discount the contribution to the computer world Bill Gates has made, let's not forget Steve Jobs has done loads to stifle technolog development, multiple law suits like the Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 so as not to encroach on Apples dominance, or the fact that Apple does not allow other OS's on their hardware or their OS's on other Hardware. And the fact that apple decided to lock out the use of non apple hard drives.

No Apple/Jobs does not stifle innovation, unless the innovations compete with apples/Jobs bottomline.

Please do not taint the word Visionary with this mans name, it's disrespectful to true visionaries.
    Why would it discount the contribution someone else made to recognise the contribution that Steve Jobs made. That's like saying its impossible to like both plain and milk chocolate...

You are talking specifically about Apple as it is now. As others have said, Steve Jobs was no angel, and Apple has its faults, but you cannot deny that Apple and Steve Jobs have made a massive impression on the world.

You have absolutely no idea what a visionary is if you think that Steve Jobs wasn't one.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,571 Times in 2,188 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    He was totally no saint. He did however recognise good ideas and promote them well, unfourtunatly the engineers that developed and/or thought up most of it were thrown under the bus in the end. It may be a loss that he is gone and condolences to his family and friends but I'm pretty sure humanity will survive just fine without him.

16. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Disease (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    He was totally no saint. He did however recognise good ideas and promote them well, unfourtunatly the engineers that developed and/or thought up most of it were thrown under the bus in the end. It may be a loss that he is gone and condolences to his family and friends but I'm pretty sure humanity will survive just fine without him.
    Exacty, people need to get over the Hype that was Jobs.

Thank Post
    or the fact that Apple does not allow other OS's on their hardware or their OS's on other Hardware. And the fact that apple decided to lock out the use of non apple hard drives.
    What? You can install Windows on Mac's fine. You can use your own hard drives fine. If you are referring to the macbook air that has oddly shaped SSDs to fit the form factor, you can still get third party drives for those.

The Anti Apple crowd are just as stupid and love tripping over themselves as much as the hardline apple fanboys.

19. Thanks to DrCheese from:

Vortex566 (6th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    May I point out some of the biggest positive changes to the world (not just in IT) have been from the less savoury characters.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast