+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
General Chat Thread, iPhone 5 launch expected today according to the BBC in General; Originally Posted by SYNACK Yea, quite often the actual new stuff they release is undercooked just like Light peek, which ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    Yea, quite often the actual new stuff they release is undercooked just like Lightpeek, which is a protocol based on 10GB/s fibre from intel that is electricaly isolated, long range and could carry any other protocols inside it like USB, Firewire, DVI/HDMI, displayport, PCI-e. What Apple has released is a basterdized version (thunderbolt) as 10GB fibre modules are too expecive leading to a proprietary over copper solution with less bandwidth and support, no electrical isolation, limited range and a requirement for a really expencive decoder for each device anyway. Given what the technology is meant to be anyone who really jumps on this implementation is braindead for anything other than limited product runs.
    I read somewhere, I think it was El Reg that intel were responsible for dropping the optical tech for thunderfoot (sic) as they were plesantly surprised at the speeds they attained over copper. I think cost was a factor, but this was related to the amount of firms in a position to adopt the fibre tech into peripherals at the moment. Same article went on to say that when fibre is introduced, the cables will interchance and carry both optical and copper to ensure forward and backward integration.

I'll see if i can find and link to the article as I've probably grossly misunderstood what was said.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,747 Times in 2,321 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by laptopsandspares View Post
    I read somewhere, I think it was El Reg that intel were responsible for dropping the optical tech for thunderfoot (sic) as they were plesantly surprised at the speeds they attained over copper. I think cost was a factor, but this was related to the amount of firms in a position to adopt the fibre tech into peripherals at the moment. Same article went on to say that when fibre is introduced, the cables will interchance and carry both optical and copper to ensure forward and backward integration.

I'll see if i can find and link to the article as I've probably grossly misunderstood what was said.
    I can see Intel being responcible, Apple would not have developed a whole new tech themselves but it is a total compromise either way. Its actually worse than the USB1 compromise on the eairly iMac's sure they had USB pots but they were unpowered meaning almost everything needed a power adapter. This is the same game but the adapters are way more expencive and will still be a limiting factor. Sure they are getting good speeds over copper but these are only possible because of expencive and probably delicate (comparitivly) cable along with expencive DSPs at each end.

I'm not saying its not cool technology I'm just saying that it follows the Apple model with actual new tech of pushing it out before its fully cooked. This make it of rather limited use and as a clear compromise from the original tech unlikely to get large amounts of devices developed for it given its sucsessor/better unwatered down parent is waiting in the wings.

I may be wrong and it may take off if the 10GB parts take too long to drop in price but is feels like showing the world a BMW and then shipping a Toyota as the actual product with the promise that the BMW would be out next year.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,107 Times in 1,014 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    I can see Intel being responcible, Apple would not have developed a whole new tech themselves but it is a total compromise either way. Its actually worse than the USB1 compromise on the eairly iMac's sure they had USB pots but they were unpowered meaning almost everything needed a power adapter. This is the same game but the adapters are way more expencive and will still be a limiting factor. Sure they are getting good speeds over copper but these are only possible because of expencive and probably delicate (comparitivly) cable along with expencive DSPs at each end.

I'm not saying its not cool technology I'm just saying that it follows the Apple model with actual new tech of pushing it out before its fully cooked. This make it of rather limited use and as a clear compromise from the original tech unlikely to get large amounts of devices developed for it given its sucsessor/better unwatered down parent is waiting in the wings.

I may be wrong and it may take off if the 10GB parts take too long to drop in price but is feels like showing the world a BMW and then shipping a Toyota as the actual product with the promise that the BMW would be out next year.
    Might be a case of waiting until they revise it , like with USB went from 1.1 to 2.0, so hopefully thunderbolt ( light peak ) or whatever you call it may get a revision to an optical only solution with 20gbps transfer rates or the likes.

Although as above am sure I also saw the same or similar article about thunderbolt being and working with optical cables which as mentioned numerous times works with longer cables, better transfer rates etc etc

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,900 Times in 2,133 Posts

6. Thanks to Arthur from:

Netman (11th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    so hopefully Thunderbolt may get a revision to an optical only solution with 20Gbps transfer rates or the likes.
    No need to wait. It's already 20Gb/s today.

Thunderbolt is dual-channel, with each channel supporting 10 Gbps of bidirectional bandwidth. Thatís a potential 20 Gbps of upstream and 20 Gbps of downstream bandwidth. The connection supports a daisy chain topology, and Thunderbolt also supports power over the cable, 10W to be precise. (Source)

8. Thanks to Arthur from:

mac_shinobi (11th October 2011)

Thank Post
    Sample video from the iPhone 4S...

Very impressive for a phone!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345