+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
General Chat Thread, iPhone 5 launch expected today according to the BBC in General; Originally Posted by Pottsey It’s a little more than that. It’s the fastest phone on the market by a long ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    It’s a little more than that. It’s the fastest phone on the market by a long shot with up to x7 more graphical power putting it miles ahead of all other phones out now. It really is a large speed increase.

From a gaming prospective it’s an Xbox360 in your pocket. No need for a PSP or DS.
    Pretty sure this beats it on all fronts: HTC Sensation Product Overview - HTC Smartphones

And they've been available for a few months now...

Thank Post
    My thinking is the tech needed to make the ip5 "Groundbreaking" isn't ready yet. I'm thinking NFC will be included along with a lot of other stuff other phones already have. IMO I think the ip4s has been launched because ios5 will need more power to run the apple "experience" properly. There's nothing much in the ip4s to make me want to jump up from the ip4 however....

...the misses 3gs handset on my contract is up and due for upgrade so being as I pay the bill, if anyone is going to have the newer 4s.... it might as well be me right? She'll love my old 4 It's been thoroughly tested these past 18months (And she'll probably break it within a week anyway)

From an upgrade perspective though, the 8gb ip4 is an interesting option for any 3gs'ers out there.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    All they are doing (and doing well I must say) is hyping up the phone with slightly outdated technology, but making it look good in the process!
    Out-dated technologies? A single SGX543 core is double the speed of the 535 core at the same mhz rating and the new phone has two 543 cores so thats x4 raw speeds without factoring in a mhz increase. I have not seen another phone with one 543core let alone two. Dont most other phones use older cores?

How can you say the tech is behind other brands? It looks to be way ahead for now.

Thank Post
    I won't buy an iAnything because they're all too expensive and too locked down for me.

Cheap android, bought up front and a monthly contract does fine, thank you very much. 3rd party roms (so no waiting on manufacturers for updates), no sim lock and no 'you can have it if apple says so'.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Pretty sure this beats it on all fronts: HTC Sensation Product Overview - HTC Smartphones
    And they've been available for a few months now...
    The HTC Sensation is about x5 to x7 slower graphically. It looks like the HTC has one 535 core. I believe people are really underestimating the hardware difference with the new Iphone. We should see some amazing apps.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Out-dated technologies? A single SGX543 core is double the speed of the 535 core at the same mhz rating and the new phone has two 543 cores so thats x4 raw speeds without factoring in a mhz increase. I have not seen another phone with one 543core let alone two. Dont most other phones use older cores?

How can you say the tech is behind other brands? It looks to be way ahead for now.
    HTC Sensation has a similar chip, has done for a few months
    Camera they finally bumped up to 8mp, sony are rocking out phones with 16mp
    GFX - again HTC sensation rivals the phone and has been out for months

Batteries - whilst comparable to other brands, they just dont last as long and this is a proven fact.
    iOS - they are catching up with android in terms of operability and are losing massive numbers due to being locked down so much.

Thank Post
    I like iPhones but I doubt I'll ever own one because I'm not prepared to get tied into a long contract or pay a lot for one SIM free. My 99 ZTE Blade will do me for a while yet

What I did find amusing yesterday was that almost every rumours site had said there probably wasn't going to be an iPhone 5, but the BBC for some reason was sure there was going to be.

Quite glad the event was a bit of a damp squib, hopefully it will stop the ridiculous hype around future ones. Good phones yes, but could live without the constant media coverage and hype

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Also note, the 7x the graphics power is only compared to its older versions, not phones like the sensation etc

Thank Post

Apple are very, very good at marketing. They are not very good at staying ahead of the game though. I'll grant them credit for making the smartphone market explode and for doing the same for tablets. But it's down to marketing, not cutting edge tech. They take old tech and sell it as something new, and that's what's so frustrating to people who can see past their marketing ploys.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Also note, the 7x the graphics power is only compared to its older versions, not phones like the sensation etc
    According to the benchmarks I have seen the Andreno 220 in the Sensation (not the 535 I said earlier on) is about the same speed as one SGX540. As the Iphone has two SGX543 it should be at a minimum x2 if not x3 or more faster.

Thank Post
    Apple are very, very good at marketing. They are not very good at staying ahead of the game though. I'll grant them credit for making the smartphone market explode and for doing the same for tablets. But it's down to marketing, not cutting edge tech. They take old tech and sell it as something new, and that's what's so frustrating to people who can see past their marketing ploys.
    Siri demo from two years ago

Thank Post
    According to the benchmarks I have seen the Andreno 220 in the Sensation (not the 535 I said earlier on) is about the same speed as one SGX540. As the Iphone has two SGX543 it should be at a minimum x2 if not x3 or more faster.
    Please, share your source?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    But you were spouting that its 7x faster than everything, and now backtracking (joking but you get my point). Even so, yes the GPU might be better, but they are stuck with it until they release the iPhone 5 now, unlike other brands who release a plethora of phones with cracking technologies and happily share the technology, then apple do a bit of tweaking and suddenly they reinvented the wheel.

Thank Post
    I really don’t agree with this. Year in year out they have been ahead in technology. It’s like the Ipad2 lots of people went on about how it’s just a minor refresh with outdated tech when reality still the fastest most advance tech we have.

This new Iphone has tablet level chips in it. What other phone has the same or more power than tablets? How is that old tech? I fully expect to see the new Iphone beat many tablets in benchmarks going by the raw specs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    I really don’t agree with this. Year in year out they have been ahead in technology. It’s like the Ipad2 lots of people went on about how it’s just a minor refresh with outdated tech when reality still the fastest most advance tech we have.

This new Iphone has tablet level chips in it. What other phone has the same or more power than tablets? How is that old tech? I fully expect to see the new Iphone beat many tablets in benchmarks going by the raw specs.
    agreed but you just know someone will make an android tablet that has a dual core snap dragon 1ghz cpu in it with 1 gb of ram etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast