+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 67
General Chat Thread, iPhone 5 launch expected today according to the BBC in General; Originally Posted by Pottsey It’s a little more than that. It’s the fastest phone on the market by a long ...
  1. #31

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    It’s a little more than that. It’s the fastest phone on the market by a long shot with up to x7 more graphical power putting it miles ahead of all other phones out now. It really is a large speed increase.

    From a gaming prospective it’s an Xbox360 in your pocket. No need for a PSP or DS.
    Pretty sure this beats it on all fronts: HTC Sensation Product Overview - HTC Smartphones

    And they've been available for a few months now...

  2. #32
    laptopsandspares's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    salisbury
    Posts
    107
    Thank Post
    16
    Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Rep Power
    17
    My thinking is the tech needed to make the ip5 "Groundbreaking" isn't ready yet. I'm thinking NFC will be included along with a lot of other stuff other phones already have. IMO I think the ip4s has been launched because ios5 will need more power to run the apple "experience" properly. There's nothing much in the ip4s to make me want to jump up from the ip4 however....

    ...the misses 3gs handset on my contract is up and due for upgrade so being as I pay the bill, if anyone is going to have the newer 4s.... it might as well be me right? She'll love my old 4 It's been thoroughly tested these past 18months (And she'll probably break it within a week anyway)

    From an upgrade perspective though, the 8gb ip4 is an interesting option for any 3gs'ers out there.

  3. #33
    Pottsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nottinghamsire
    Posts
    759
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 52 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    All they are doing (and doing well I must say) is hyping up the phone with slightly outdated technology, but making it look good in the process!
    Out-dated technologies? A single SGX543 core is double the speed of the 535 core at the same mhz rating and the new phone has two 543 cores so thats x4 raw speeds without factoring in a mhz increase. I have not seen another phone with one 543core let alone two. Dont most other phones use older cores?

    How can you say the tech is behind other brands? It looks to be way ahead for now.

  4. #34

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    433
    Thank Post
    58
    Thanked 66 Times in 57 Posts
    Rep Power
    27
    I won't buy an iAnything because they're all too expensive and too locked down for me.

    Cheap android, bought up front and a monthly contract does fine, thank you very much. 3rd party roms (so no waiting on manufacturers for updates), no sim lock and no 'you can have it if apple says so'.

  5. #35
    Pottsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nottinghamsire
    Posts
    759
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 52 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Pretty sure this beats it on all fronts: HTC Sensation Product Overview - HTC Smartphones
    And they've been available for a few months now...
    The HTC Sensation is about x5 to x7 slower graphically. It looks like the HTC has one 535 core. I believe people are really underestimating the hardware difference with the new Iphone. We should see some amazing apps.

  6. #36

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,764
    Thank Post
    1,623
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    Out-dated technologies? A single SGX543 core is double the speed of the 535 core at the same mhz rating and the new phone has two 543 cores so thats x4 raw speeds without factoring in a mhz increase. I have not seen another phone with one 543core let alone two. Dont most other phones use older cores?

    How can you say the tech is behind other brands? It looks to be way ahead for now.
    HTC Sensation has a similar chip, has done for a few months
    Camera they finally bumped up to 8mp, sony are rocking out phones with 16mp
    GFX - again HTC sensation rivals the phone and has been out for months

    Batteries - whilst comparable to other brands, they just dont last as long and this is a proven fact.
    iOS - they are catching up with android in terms of operability and are losing massive numbers due to being locked down so much.

  7. #37

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    London
    Posts
    2,962
    Thank Post
    159
    Thanked 152 Times in 116 Posts
    Rep Power
    49
    I like iPhones but I doubt I'll ever own one because I'm not prepared to get tied into a long contract or pay a lot for one SIM free. My 99 ZTE Blade will do me for a while yet

    What I did find amusing yesterday was that almost every rumours site had said there probably wasn't going to be an iPhone 5, but the BBC for some reason was sure there was going to be.

    Quite glad the event was a bit of a damp squib, hopefully it will stop the ridiculous hype around future ones. Good phones yes, but could live without the constant media coverage and hype

  8. #38

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,764
    Thank Post
    1,623
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    422
    Also note, the 7x the graphics power is only compared to its older versions, not phones like the sensation etc

  9. #39

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    Out-dated technologies? A single SGX543 core is double the speed of the 535 core at the same mhz rating and the new phone has two 543 cores so thats x4 raw speeds without factoring in a mhz increase. I have not seen another phone with one 543core let alone two. Dont most other phones use older cores?

    How can you say the tech is behind other brands? It looks to be way ahead for now.
    Apple are very, very good at marketing. They are not very good at staying ahead of the game though. I'll grant them credit for making the smartphone market explode and for doing the same for tablets. But it's down to marketing, not cutting edge tech. They take old tech and sell it as something new, and that's what's so frustrating to people who can see past their marketing ploys.

  10. #40
    Pottsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nottinghamsire
    Posts
    759
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 52 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by nephilim View Post
    Also note, the 7x the graphics power is only compared to its older versions, not phones like the sensation etc
    According to the benchmarks I have seen the Andreno 220 in the Sensation (not the 535 I said earlier on) is about the same speed as one SGX540. As the Iphone has two SGX543 it should be at a minimum x2 if not x3 or more faster.

  11. #41

    JJonas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    North Walsham, Norfolk
    Posts
    3,084
    Thank Post
    382
    Thanked 429 Times in 318 Posts
    Rep Power
    383
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Apple are very, very good at marketing. They are not very good at staying ahead of the game though. I'll grant them credit for making the smartphone market explode and for doing the same for tablets. But it's down to marketing, not cutting edge tech. They take old tech and sell it as something new, and that's what's so frustrating to people who can see past their marketing ploys.
    Siri demo from two years ago

  12. #42

    LosOjos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    West Midlands
    Posts
    5,447
    Thank Post
    1,438
    Thanked 1,168 Times in 797 Posts
    Rep Power
    707
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    According to the benchmarks I have seen the Andreno 220 in the Sensation (not the 535 I said earlier on) is about the same speed as one SGX540. As the Iphone has two SGX543 it should be at a minimum x2 if not x3 or more faster.
    Please, share your source?

  13. #43

    nephilim's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Dunstable
    Posts
    11,764
    Thank Post
    1,623
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    2
    Rep Power
    422
    But you were spouting that its 7x faster than everything, and now backtracking (joking but you get my point). Even so, yes the GPU might be better, but they are stuck with it until they release the iPhone 5 now, unlike other brands who release a plethora of phones with cracking technologies and happily share the technology, then apple do a bit of tweaking and suddenly they reinvented the wheel.

  14. #44
    Pottsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nottinghamsire
    Posts
    759
    Thank Post
    3
    Thanked 52 Times in 42 Posts
    Rep Power
    29
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    Apple are very, very good at marketing. They are not very good at staying ahead of the game though. I'll grant them credit for making the smartphone market explode and for doing the same for tablets. But it's down to marketing, not cutting edge tech. They take old tech and sell it as something new, and that's what's so frustrating to people who can see past their marketing ploys.
    I really don’t agree with this. Year in year out they have been ahead in technology. It’s like the Ipad2 lots of people went on about how it’s just a minor refresh with outdated tech when reality still the fastest most advance tech we have.

    This new Iphone has tablet level chips in it. What other phone has the same or more power than tablets? How is that old tech? I fully expect to see the new Iphone beat many tablets in benchmarks going by the raw specs.

  15. #45

    mac_shinobi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    9,706
    Thank Post
    3,240
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 967 Posts
    Rep Power
    363
    Quote Originally Posted by Pottsey View Post
    I really don’t agree with this. Year in year out they have been ahead in technology. It’s like the Ipad2 lots of people went on about how it’s just a minor refresh with outdated tech when reality still the fastest most advance tech we have.

    This new Iphone has tablet level chips in it. What other phone has the same or more power than tablets? How is that old tech? I fully expect to see the new Iphone beat many tablets in benchmarks going by the raw specs.
    agreed but you just know someone will make an android tablet that has a dual core snap dragon 1ghz cpu in it with 1 gb of ram etc

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. DPM2010 - Jobs not starting according to the schedule set
    By adamf in forum Enterprise Software
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 9th January 2011, 04:51 PM
  2. [Joke] "Top 50 Jokes Of All Time" According To The Telegraph And www.OnePoll.com
    By DaveP in forum Jokes/Interweb Things
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 23rd October 2010, 02:20 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11th March 2010, 08:26 PM
  4. BSF at risk.... at least according to the LM
    By mossj in forum East Midlands Broadband Consortium (EMBC)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 2nd December 2009, 01:14 PM
  5. Windows 7 with IE is now a GO according to the EU
    By cookie_monster in forum General Chat
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 8th October 2009, 12:19 PM

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •