+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Last minute course work in General; Last Wednesday, when I was at my fluey worst and spent the day up ladders trying to sort out a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts

Last minute course work

Last Wednesday, when I was at my fluey worst and spent the day up ladders trying to sort out a switch problem, one of our staff members (not a teacher) came to me with some questions about our computer systems from her daughter... something to do with GCSE course work. The staff member concerned is on my 'nice list', so it wasn't dismissed out of hand.

Ten examples of 'computer systems' were needed along with details of what went in and what came out and how they linked together. Over my lemsip, I jotted some stuff down overnight and yesterday there were more questions... actually a copy of the course-work paper.

Realising that a) this was supposed to be a project researched by the student and b) if I wrote everything down I'd probably have got an A* for the GCSE, but that wasn't the point, I suggested daughter came in after school and had a chat with me face to face to get the information needed.

"It has to be handed in on Wednesday"

There's a tiny bit of me that feels sorry that I cannot do more to help, but honestly leaving GCSE course work that late!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,214 Times in 761 Posts
    I would like to take this opportunity to profess most effusively to the assembled ladies and gentlemen here, that I NEVER left ANY coursework that late.

NEVER EVER.

(Honest, guv.)

Thank Post
    Well leaving stuff to the last minute is never a good idea, however at least you tried to help the student/ daughter some places would of refused to help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,425 Times in 1,775 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I would like to take this opportunity to profess most effusively to the assembled ladies and gentlemen here, that I NEVER left ANY coursework that late.

NEVER EVER.

(Honest, guv.)
    yeah, yeah!

I'll own up to burning the midnight oil on essays and homework, but a whole project worth a significant part of your exam?!

Thank Post
    My business studies teacher took one look at my coursework, and congratulated me on the most efficient coursework he'd seen so far.

I don't think 30% was a bad mark, considering I'd spent less then 4 hours on it.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,630 Times in 1,103 Posts
    Blog Entries
    See, when I was finishing up my degree, and sleeping for half an hour a day for the last fortnight in order to have time to complete my final year project because, of course, I'd done s0d all for 6 months, in that last fortnight I did start to suspect that the real lesson of a degree is the value of good time management.

Of course, on results day, when it turned out I'd managed a 2:1 still, that lesson very quickly shifted to "no matter how late I leave something, I can pull it out the bag! I'll be fine".

(and to be fair - nothing has yet proved me wrong )

7. 2 Thanks to sonofsanta:

Pyroman (5th October 2011), yugo (5th October 2011)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @SonOfSanta: That is the same experience I had except the lesson of getting stuff done on ended up sticking after getting a 2:2.

Thank Post
    When I was at school, I left everything to the last minute. I occasionally used to have 'genius' moments when under pressure. However, there were many time when I had to implement a lie or two in order to cover my backside (like the time I told my RE teacher the blatant lie that I hadn't been in her last lesson so hadn't been given the homework...not sure how I got away with that).

GCSE revision was even worse, half of it I didn't even bother with. I only bothered for the subjects that I actually stood a chance of achieving something in.

Thank Post
    I got bored during my GCSE's. In year 10 I was predicted A*'s if I'd have taken them then (wasn't the done thing at my school), but because I had to wait till year 11 I started dossing about in my boredom.

I actually spent most of our 'revision days' playing football and cricket over the field.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    begs the question....

what are you doing wasting time on here telling us when you have coursework to be doing for someone?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    There's a tiny bit of me that feels sorry that I cannot do more to help, but honestly leaving GCSE course work that late!
    That's nothing. I handed in my Math coursework 3 months late.

And still got a B overall.

Same with English Language. And the coursework alone would have gotten me an A* [Overall I got a C... I suck at exams.]

Thank Post
    When it came to school and college I left almost everything to the last minute, I just work better under pressure. I still do it now to an extent, although when its something someone is waiting for I obviously try to do it as soon as I can!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by X-13 View Post
    That's nothing. I handed in my Math coursework 3 months late.

And still got a B overall.

Same with English Language. And the coursework alone would have gotten me an A* [Overall I got a C... I suck at exams.]
    That's nothing! we got science coursework set on the first day of the first year of GCSE i handed it in as they were stuffing coursework to be sent off in an envelope making it a full 18 months late. Still got a C =D

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,188 Times in 1,493 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pyroman View Post
    That's nothing! we got science coursework set on the first day of the first year of GCSE i handed it in as they were stuffing coursework to be sent off in an envelope making it a full 18 months late. Still got a C =D
    18 months? 18 MONTHS?

That's nothing. In my day 18 months was getting it in early. Why, if I could get it in in 18 months I would have had to re-do it because it was rushed.

Plus, we had to do it while being chased by honey badgers. At night. On the moon.

[/Monty_Python_4_Yorkshiremen]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread