+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, I feel dirty .. in General; in the absence of a spare laptop at the moment (or one that will run the W7 setup) I've bootcamped ...
    Thank Post

I feel dirty ..

in the absence of a spare laptop at the moment (or one that will run the W7 setup) I've bootcamped our MacBook Pro 13" ..

Windows on a Mac .. when it's running in parallels I can cope, but this just makes me feel dirty .. lol ..

Thank Post
    Just wash your hands when you finished using it.

Thank Post
    I have an entire Primary school full of Macbooks and iMacs all running Windows xp. Not just dual boot though, oh no.. the only OS on the machine !!! New head, didn't like Mac, but couldn't justify throwing the hardware away so wanted Windows on them instead.

4. Thanks to crazytechnician from:

stevenlong1985 (3rd October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by crazytechnician View Post
    I have an entire Primary school full of Macbooks and iMacs all running Windows xp. Not just dual boot though, oh no.. the only OS on the machine !!! New head, didn't like Mac, but couldn't justify throwing the hardware away so wanted Windows on them instead.
    And went for XP, yackidy.

Thank Post
    Yup.. I tried.. but they wouldn't listen. I gave reasons for going Windows 7, if we were going over to Windows, but not having it. ALso, we now have a mac mini server sitting there doing very little. When I get chance I'm going to set it up as a file server and possibly a remote back up server, if I ever get 5 minutes.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by crazytechnician View Post
    Yup.. I tried.. but they wouldn't listen. I gave reasons for going Windows 7, if we were going over to Windows, but not having it. ALso, we now have a mac mini server sitting there doing very little. When I get chance I'm going to set it up as a file server and possibly a remote back up server, if I ever get 5 minutes.
    Surely, in this day and age, if you get 5 mins spare, your job is surplus to requirements? If I was you, I would just let it sit there ..

As for the XP over Win 7 .. what was their reasoning for not going Win 7? EIK! Yuck ..

Thank Post
    Strange, so many spend a lot of money on a MAC and say its the best thing since sliced bread.... then put bootcamp on it with windows 7.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,019 Times in 784 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Indeed, effectively turning a £1000 laptop into a £400 laptop that looks pretty. And looks pretty thievable too!

rad
    Thank Post
    we are about to buy Macs, then when they arrive they are going as far away as possible. If anything happens, they are not coming my way, I will put a sign on the door....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    Indeed, effectively turning a £1000 laptop into a £400 laptop that looks pretty..
    The exact opposite of the Apple marketing model!
    Build a reasonable spec intel-based laptop, paint it white and whack a less flexible OS on it!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,135 Times in 1,031 Posts
    ewwww mac

I feel dirty ..-trying_to_burn_my_macbook_hihi_by_baguskpu.jpg

Thank Post
    I am not insulting MAC, had an ex who had one she said she got it just for the net, msn and her photoshop (she was a photographer). It is great for that job and lets face it - more reliable then windows and requires less maintenance/work to get going.

Not a fan though

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by soveryapt View Post
    Surely, in this day and age, if you get 5 mins spare, your job is surplus to requirements? If I was you, I would just let it sit there ..

As for the XP over Win 7 .. what was their reasoning for not going Win 7? EIK! Yuck ..
    They like Windows XP. The know WIndows XP. The head doesn't like new things, hence the reason she didn't like Mac OSx. She knows XP, that's where she's comfortable. As for letting the mac mini sit there.. I can't.. I just can't.. I have to make it do something.. anything

Jus North of London, close but not too close
    Thank Post
    I only got into MAC's because I had to support them at last place I worked but really like them. I am no expert at using them but compared with Windows :-), and for music, video and graphics work they are fab things just seem to work there are less variables as the hardware and OS is made for each other.

Can't really see the problem with dual booting better than just leaving the decent hardware sitting there unused, but yes, is wrong.

Thank Post
    Meh .. I've said it before and said it again ..

Buy a laptop based on what does the job for you and then (if you can afford it) what you like as well ..

For instance, I would love something in the realms of an AlienWare Laptop (not that I'm a Dell fan, but they are good machines) but for the amount of times I actually need windows for anything in my freelance stuff, I use Parallels on my Mac or BootCamp (in the case of the schools Mac).

I do a lot of Graphic Design and odd bits of video editing, so for me, the Mac made more sense. If people don't like Mac, fine, don't buy them, but why have the whole slagging off session? Some of the friends I have who are most vocal against Macs actually admit that they would prefer to have one and it's the price that they go on about when you drill down into it, which I can understand, but they're good for certain roles. I'd never say to someone "you want a computer for going on eBay, checking your e-mails and doing the odd letter - what you want to do is buy a Mac!!" but hey .. I'll stop ranting ..

As for the school formatting the entire lot into XP, ok W7 would have been better perhaps, but at the end of the day, they're spending £20-30 per machine to get the school onto Windows instead of £300-400 to buy new machines with licenses, so good on them for that, personally I would think BootCamping would have been better in that you could at least offer the OSX as an experience too, but that's what the head chose so ..

If a school went out to buy Macs specifically with the purpose of installing Windows alone on them all, then that would be something to really gripe about as that really is putting the pretty above the sensible ..

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast