+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 0% beer - authorisation needed! in General; Hmm - but why describe these drinks as beer - particularly if they ARE brewed in a completely different way? ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,799 Posts
    Hmm - but why describe these drinks as beer - particularly if they ARE brewed in a completely different way? Of course these things taste different to the real thing, (although I have fooled a few people with particularly 'meaty' vegetarian sausages and burgers )- but why pretend they are the real thing if they arent?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    The one I had was Bavaria 0.0
    according to one site:

Most alcohol-free beers are brewed as normal alcoholic beers, with the alcohol removed at the last stage. It's impossible to remove all of the alcohol, so such beers tend to have up to 0.5% alcohol remaining. Bavaria is brewed with no alcohol at all and is a genuine 0% beer.

Ingredients
    Purest Mineral Water, Barley Malt, Wheat, Hops

They do also have a wheat one instead of malt which it lists as having a fruity taste. But i opted for a more traiditional one!

**and to be fair, there is something wrong with you**
    I love the Bavaria 0%. Reminds me of Greek lager. Cobra alcohol free is very nice too.

I was in Lidl recently and was buying some bottles of Shandy, that were 0.5% and the checkout guy was somewaht startled that it was asking for proof of ID.

I wholeheartedly recommend avoiding the Becks alcohol free lager. It truly is vile.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sidewinder View Post
    Is non alcoholic beer taxed the same as normal? Eg in a pub should it be much cheaper?
    Yes, as of very recently, if I understand correctly - taxation has recently been changed for beers under 2.8% ABV and several brewers are planning on marketing low-strength "people's pints" at a cheaper price than your average pint of beer.

Edit: just looked up the article from Metro the other day - turns out "recently" is actually "tomorrow":

http://www.metro.co.uk/news/876987-l...to-start-party
    Last edited by dhicks; 30th September 2011 at 12:41 PM.

Thank Post
    Weston's Stowford Press 0.5% is about the only low alchol cider that's worth trying. Not quite a proper Real Cider but closer than a lot of the "industrial" stuff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    Same as if you'd never tasted a beef steak before, the first time you eat one you are hardly going to be saying "oh no i like it medium rare with a hint of pink on the edges and some cracked black pepper seasoning".
    Objection - omits smell as a factor. You don't need to eat beef to know you really like the smell of it cooked with $whatever.

Beers do smell differently too - some are distinctly fruity.

*decides to shut up before he starts talking about elderberries*

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    Hmm - but why describe these drinks as beer - particularly if they ARE brewed in a completely different way? Of course these things taste different to the real thing, (although I have fooled a few people with particularly 'meaty' vegetarian sausages and burgers )- but why pretend they are the real thing if they arent?
    So that you can drink it without your mates realising you're drinking what is effectively a soft drink and them taking the pee? Sad to say for some people that is a factor.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    So that you can drink it without your mates realising you're drinking what is effectively a soft drink and them taking the pee? Sad to say for some people that is a factor.
    True

Thank Post
    I'm a meat eater but I love the taste of certain Quorn products.
    Haha yea, I have friends tho who won't eat anything unless something has died for their pleasure. Which is silly because some vegi/meat free food is *really* nice. Tho I've grown up with a Mum who's a veggie, so we've sometimes all had veggie meals to make it easier for us all.

haha yeah The amount of ribbing I get when I have a Diet coke + Whiskey, or just a Diet coke on it's own is crazy :P

Thank Post
    I'm looking for something low/no alcohol that I like for those evenings when I'm driving. About the closest I've got is lime&soda; but some places really take the p!ss on pricing!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveBentley View Post
    I used to get a tiny bit of that after football on a friday afternoon with the teachers. we'd go to the pub and i'd be the only one having a coke. but i took no notice and in the end the jokes stopped and some were saying "you know i dont think id be able to stop alcohol altogether, good on ya".
    plus its amazing how many people see you as a designated driver now....suddenly you are very popular

we have a teacher here who is in his 40s, had one alcoholic drink on his 18th bday and never touched it again, just didnt want it. its that sort of thing that takes commitment really. same as the people who give up smoking not because ill health forces them to, but because they WANT to.

Thank Post
    I was in Sainsbury's yesterday and the guy at the till in front of me was denied buying a lighter for the candles he was also purchasing because he didn't look 25. He easily looked early 20s though.

Thank Post
    I know someone that was denied buying RedBull at a Tesco, because he couldnt prove his age, but was allowed to buy Tesco's homebrand, or Relentless!

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I worked for ASDA, it is actually a technical problem.

The store I worked at used to have issues with licencing periods when alcohol could be sold and mixer jugs. The system wouldn't let them through and say that the sale is restricted. We were puzzled.

The reason is the mixer jugs are in the Beers Wines and Spirits (BWS) product list. The till system, which is still a CLI in my old store, categorises everything in the BWS list as alcoholic and thus requiring restriction. This means everything from mixing jugs down to beer with less then 0.05% alcohol couldn't be sold when licensing restrictions were in force. Not even over-rides were possible!

This naturally leads to such items requiring authorisation and can only be fixed by moving the items from one list of stock to another (such as mixing jugs to Home and Leisure).

Thank Post
    I'd love to know how they make non alcoholic drinks tbh. Just about every drink made from organic material contains some level of alcohol, it's unavoidable when you have large amounts of Hydrocarbons in things made up mostly of water...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    I'd love to know how they make non alcoholic drinks tbh. Just about every drink made from organic material contains some level of alcohol, it's unavoidable when you have large amounts of Hydrocarbons in things made up mostly of water...
    Aren't most of them made normally and then some process takes out the alcohol?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast