+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Advice needed! School website - Wordpress or Joomla??? in General; Hi I'm a newbie here, just want a bit of advice from all you experts as to which CMS we ...

Thank Post

Smile Advice needed! School website - Wordpress or Joomla???

Hi I'm a newbie here, just want a bit of advice from all you experts as to which CMS we should use for our school website.

It's for a fairly small infant school who really just want the normal information on the site that you'd find on any primary school website and be able to update menu/nav bar and add links to newsletters, very basic stuff. Don't need a blog.

One of the fathers of a child at the school wants to redo the site and is pushing to use Wordpress. I've not used either but do know html, did a bit of research and have read that WP is mainly used for blog and Joomla is a better CMS. Just wondered what the experts thought would suit the purposes of the school?

I understand WP is more user friendly and that would be an advantage as the staff would need to update themselves but Joomla is more suited for CMS and the school would want to upload image galleries of school trips etc.

Thanks !

Thank Post
    This site is done in WordPress - Baines School » Nil Sine Labore, and I think it works very well. This is our own school beta done in Joomla - Welcome to Falinge Park High School. I don't believe that the CMS used is as important as who is going to maintain the site. What will happen when the child leaves school and the father no longer wants to commit time to managing your website? From my experience I've found that it's one thing for teachers to say they will update the site, but it's another to get them to actually do the work. This is partly the reason why our site is still in beta. One thing for certain is that it is better to go with a CMS as opposed to static html pages as updates/changes will cascade throughout the site.

3. Thanks to beeswax from:

speckytecky (28th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    Drupal is also excellent and worth considering, as is plone.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Love your Beta beeswax. How did you create the photo / video display - it's new to me and really looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by beeswax View Post
    This site is done in WordPress - Baines School » Nil Sine Labore, and I think it works very well. This is our own school beta done in Joomla - Welcome to Falinge Park High School. I don't believe that the CMS used is as important as who is going to maintain the site. What will happen when the child leaves school and the father no longer wants to commit time to managing your website? From my experience I've found that it's one thing for teachers to say they will update the site, but it's another to get them to actually do the work. This is partly the reason why our site is still in beta. One thing for certain is that it is better to go with a CMS as opposed to static html pages as updates/changes will cascade throughout the site.

6. Thanks to speckytecky from:

beeswax (28th September 2011)

Thank Post
    I think joomla is excelent, look in to the K2 extention, all the things missing in joomla but present in wp and added in k2. take a look at Painsley Catholic College this was recently built in joomla using k2

8. 2 Thanks to gibbo_ap:

beeswax (28th September 2011), speckytecky (28th September 2011)

Thank Post
    I used Joomla for my beta site (which is internal only at the moment, as all the content needs updating)

I've noticed over time that wordpress sites, although they CAN be done well, are generally managed by people with low web-design skills, and can be done by them, and as such sometimes end up with cluttered sites, messy menu's etc.

Joomla I think has more customisability and control, BUT requires more knowledge to get the advanced features working.

I'll admit though, I haven't really played with Wordpress. Once I'd built one site in Joomla, I really didn't feel like building another one just to see what it looked like in a slightly different flavour.

Thank Post
    This site is very handy for looking at CMS systems,

Open Source CMS Demos & Information - opensourceCMS

I've used neither in anger, but have looks at both systems. I prefer wordpress, I find the interface much more intuitive.

Bare in mind that if you're looking into doing galleries you will need a policy in place. You should also get parents permission to publish their child's picture (and you will get the odd express reader who won't give it).

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fab thanks Gibbo.

Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    I think joomla is excelent, look in to the K2 extention, all the things missing in joomla but present in wp and added in k2. take a look at Painsley Catholic College this was recently built in joomla using k2

Thank Post
    We've done ours using a site called wix, its not free, but if you want a flash based site that is really easy to design it's worth a look. I'm not sure it would scale well to a very large site, but for what we wanted its worked well. Our site is at Chyngton Primary School

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,452 Times in 1,898 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by steveg View Post
    We've done ours using a site called wix, its not free, but if you want a flash based site that is really easy to design it's worth a look. I'm not sure it would scale well to a very large site, but for what we wanted its worked well. Our site is at Chyngton Primary School

Steve
    It being flash based instantly makes it incompatible with the Disability Discrimination Act, as it cannot be viewed by screen readers etc...

14. Thanks to localzuk from:

speckytecky (29th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,170 Times in 798 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It being flash based instantly makes it incompatible with the Disability Discrimination Act, as it cannot be viewed by screen readers etc...
    It also makes it unviewable on Ipads

*ducks*

EDIT: in the interest of fairness and staying on topic, even on portable devices that can display flash, it won't be a pleasant experience. Best to avoid it.
    Last edited by LosOjos; 28th September 2011 at 12:18 PM.

16. Thanks to LosOjos from:

speckytecky (29th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Love your Beta beeswax. How did you create the photo / video display - it's new to me and really looks great.
    If you mean the Open Evening video on the front page it was created by one of our drama teachers using a couple of video editing packages, I believe. I haven't seen him today to find out what the software is, but I'll try to collar him during this week.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gibbo_ap View Post
    Certainly knocks mine into a cocked hat. That's excellent work.

Thank Post
    I decided to use wordpress for an Infants school in derbyshire, I have just started to get to grips with wordpress.

Have a look and see what you think. There are plenty of templates to get you started..

Creswell C of E Infant

It is live but not the main site yet..

Thank Post
    take a look at Painsley Catholic College this was recently built in joomla using k2
    I don't know what people are using to view this with but it don't look good in FF on 1024x768

And, to be diplomatic, I don't really rate the front page layout - I mean- how many awards are worth bragging about?

Si
    PS to be blunt - its bad

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast