+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
General Chat Thread, Advice needed! School website - Wordpress or Joomla??? in General; Currently working on school site here Demo School | Just another WordPress site. Visually beautiful as usual And will we ...

Thank Post
    Currently working on school site here Demo School | Just another WordPress site.
    Visually beautiful as usual

And will we be able to stand on your shoulders again with an Edugeek Wordpress Package?

Si

2. Thanks to SimpleSi from:

speckytecky (2nd October 2011)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Heloise View Post
    Hi I'm a newbie here, just want a bit of advice from all you experts as to which CMS we should use for our school website.

It's for a fairly small infant school who really just want the normal information on the site that you'd find on any primary school website and be able to update menu/nav bar and add links to newsletters, very basic stuff. Don't need a blog.

One of the fathers of a child at the school wants to redo the site and is pushing to use Wordpress. I've not used either but do know html, did a bit of research and have read that WP is mainly used for blog and Joomla is a better CMS. Just wondered what the experts thought would suit the purposes of the school?

I understand WP is more user friendly and that would be an advantage as the staff would need to update themselves but Joomla is more suited for CMS and the school would want to upload image galleries of school trips etc.

Thanks !
    The difference depends on what type of content you intend to put on there and how often. Wordpress is traditionally used for blogging as you've discovered. If you take away the blog use what you have is delivering items of content in a historical fashion. School sites are typically a mix of static content and "news" items. Wordpress is better suited to news and joomla better suited to static content. So the answer is which is the focus.

a 3rd option would be to integrate a gallery plugin such as NextGEN Gallery » GalleryView » NextGEN Gallery with wordpress.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Fabulous!

If you are making it available as a package I'd love one.

Struggled but succeeded (with a lot of support - specially from Steve Hill) in the end with Joomla 1.5. Now redundant from that school but started another 1.5 at my other school and it's not sparkling. Playing with the latest Joomla as a test site but - it isn't coming naturally! So maybe it's time for me to think about switching to Wordpress.

Quote Originally Posted by SYSMAN_MK View Post
    Intresting thread. Just to add my 2p, after using Joomal, and before that Mambo for the past 7 years I have decided to take a look at Wordpress instead. Currently working on school site here Demo School | Just another WordPress site. Adding content is far less painless than Joomla.

5. Thanks to speckytecky from:

Devontechie (1st October 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Cheers for the comments guys. Can't take the credit for the style. Went for a paid theme as haven't have the time to look at wordpress templates, but once this site is finished I am planning to find a decent theme I can use as part or a Wordpress package that can be released the same as the Joomla one was so watch this space.

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    Visually beautiful as usual

And will we be able to stand on your shoulders again with an Edugeek Wordpress Package?

Si
    Quote Originally Posted by speckytecky View Post
    Fabulous!

If you are making it available as a package I'd love one.

Struggled but succeeded (with a lot of support - specially from Steve Hill) in the end with Joomla 1.5. Now redundant from that school but started another 1.5 at my other school and it's not sparkling. Playing with the latest Joomla as a test site but - it isn't coming naturally! So maybe it's time for me to think about switching to Wordpress.

7. 2 Thanks to SYSMAN_MK:

krisd32 (5th October 2011), speckytecky (2nd October 2011)

Thank Post
    coming from a web developer point of view, i would highly recommend Wordpress for schools, once a site it put together, it can daily be admin'ed by the school and pupils (if desired) you can also lock the user access to editors and admins, etc, so they can add content without messing up the design, i am happy to work with any school to show them an example of how it can work for them.

It really is easy, and once put together right people don't even have to know it is wordpress, it can look like a normal site.

I hope this helps

AW

Thank Post
    As another web developer, another +1 for wordpress. Our school uses it for the main school website Crickhowell High School | Excellence Through Endeavour. It does require a bit of knowledge to get the theme as you would like it.

Thank Post

wordpress website use

Quote Originally Posted by hitachiboy View Post
    i know a builder called Tucktail.com . This service is provided in the name of "Website Tonight" .
    Is this some kind of plug ?

Quote Originally Posted by hitachiboy View Post
    if you create a website in free website providers like WP, the domain name will be theirs, eg. heloise.wordpress.com..so this will shows everyone that your website is a free website..
    If you know anything about wordpress, it that you can self host this on any domain you want, so you have the site the URL and the data all hosted in your own space, so nobody knows its free and wordpress, but to be honest if your delivering a good quality website that is easy to use and complies to all the standards, what is the problem,
    There is no point re inventing the wheel, this has been put together for this exact use, for people to self manage there website who don't have a programming background.

Thanks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123