+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, iPad: Death of the Interface in General; Now I'm not overly interested in a massive battle between the Apple-ologists and everyone else right now, but having used ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries

iPad: Death of the Interface

Now I'm not overly interested in a massive battle between the Apple-ologists and everyone else right now, but having used an iPad for the first time this week... I am astonished.

One of the new staff brought one in to us to put on the wireless and to say Apple are famed for their UI design, I could have cried.

Firstly: WEP keys are a mix of numbers and letters. Having the numbers on a different screen to the letters therefore means I have to push an extra button almost every time I'm typing. Entering the key is therefore twice as much of a faff as it usually is, and it is anwyay.

Secondly: your key selling point is the fact that the whole display is a touch interface. Given this, I would have thought you could put a sizeable CONNECT button somewhere in all the big grey empty space of the dialog box you proffered. I am not necessarily psychic and able to tell that what I actually have to do is click back into a text entry field, to find that the enter button has magically changed into a JOIN button. This is not obvious. In fact, in a device not short of interface space, this is just stupid. Context controls are fine on my Xbox where I only have so many buttons. You do not have this limitation, so stop designing around a problem you do not have.

Thirdly: when it turns out that you need the hidden network SSID providing in all capitals, then an innovative, forward-thinking feature like Caps Lock would be really bloody handy. It is not a new idea. It is infact a very useful idea. But you are Apple! And you know best. So by all means, force me to tap Shift every single flipping time I have to type a character. Brilliant.

Like I say, I don't want this to turn into a flame war, I just needed to express my astonishment that the interface is taking such a big backwards step in this supposed new era of interaction. Don't get me started on the decision to take colour out of OSX Lion and leave the three circular min/max/close buttons as completely identical...

Thank Post
    Not a fix for all your woes - but if you double tap the shift key it locks on until you tap it again, or move to the numbers screen.

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    If it had any other brand mark than Apple, it (the iPad) would have been long forgotten.....
    Last edited by DT2; 27th September 2011 at 11:35 AM. Reason: :)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,399 Times in 962 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ShorehamGeek View Post
    Not a fix for all your woes - but if you double tap the shift key it locks on until you tap it again, or move to the numbers screen.
    See, I tried that at the time - instinct from my Android phone - and it did nothing. Then I asked the staff member in question and she said it didn't have caps lock...

Perhaps telling that her husband works in IT and he gave it to her after a fortnight because it annoyed him so much!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DT2 View Post
    If it had any other brand mark than Apple, it would have been long forgotten.....
    Before I go off on the rant I was about to, do you mean the problem would have been forgotten, or the iPad?

DT2
    Lakeville, Carleton County, New Brunswick
    Thank Post
    the iPad...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,160 Times in 794 Posts
    the iPad...
    Agreed!

As I'm feeling daring (-rep shall surely follow!), here is what my rant would have been [in a nutshell]:

Do not brag about something you're not prepared to be criticised for. If my cousin developed his own OS, I'd certainly praise him for it, even if it was unusable, but I wouldn't grant Microsoft the same leniance because it's what they do. Likewise, if Apple are going to brag about their "intuitive UI", well then it damn well better be intuitive or it's going to get criticised!

Too many people jump to the defence of companies when their flaws are pointed out - well what the hell is the point in that? Improvements aren't driven on the back of nicely put praise and fan boy dedication, they're driven on honest, intelligent criticism and if you really care about a company or product, you ought to be pointing out their flaws so that they can improve upon them.

8. 4 Thanks to LosOjos:

Admiral208 (27th September 2011), MK-2 (27th September 2011), Oaktech (27th September 2011), SYNACK (28th September 2011)

Thank Post
    I don't know what all the fuss is about! They look good and people admire you for having one, that's what's important, surely?!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    I don't know what all the fuss is about! They look good and people admire you for having one, that's what's important, surely?!
    Exactly! I tried everything: Lynx, pheromone spray, even bathing! Now I have an iPad, the girls can't keep their hands off me!*

*May not be entirely true.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Think the double tap to change shift to caps lock was an iOS 4 feature so I presume that the iPad iOS is on the latest iOS revision available ( which you update through iTunes afaik ) at least until they release iOS 5 ( then again not sure if for the time being this is an iphone only or for both ipad and iphone ).

I do agree regarding having to constantly swap between numbers and letters as it does get annoying, not owned or had an ipad yet so can't comment on the ipad side but do have an iPhone 4 ( latest iOS ).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 748 Posts
    I have had an IPad 2 for around a month now and it shares a bed in my bag with a Toshiba laptop (about 4 years old now) and when I first got up and running with the IPad I was impressed by the speed in which the objects were accessed. After a week it too became apparent that it was going to be a pain when doing the normal everyday things that I am expected to do.

Conclusion: Horses for courses and yes the IPad 2 is a great personalised digital device which when used for social networking and web browsing is great and intuitive but when trying to create documents and reports and just filling in online forms then the laptop beats it hands down in my opinion. After a month i have to say the laptop is used far more than the IPad2 but this is just in my domain as I understand people may use it differently to me.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,030 Times in 955 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    I have had an IPad 2 for around a month now and it shares a bed in my bag with a Toshiba laptop (about 4 years old now) and when I first got up and running with the IPad I was impressed by the speed in which the objects were accessed. After a week it too became apparent that it was going to be a pain when doing the normal everyday things that I am expected to do.

Conclusion: Horses for courses and yes the IPad 2 is a great personalised digital device which when used for social networking and web browsing is great and intuitive but when trying to create documents and reports and just filling in online forms then the laptop beats it hands down in my opinion. After a month i have to say the laptop is used far more than the IPad2 but this is just in my domain as I understand people may use it differently to me.
    Think the iPad is more a larger ipod unless you have remote control software and admin type software installed on it then maybe but otherwise I find them better for photos, video and music as apposed to making a word or excel document etc. I think you can get the different apps ie pages etc but not used that on an iOS device ( iPad or otherwise ) so not sure how it compares.

Like yourself I would prefer a laptop if I was doing actual work

Thank Post
    If it had any other brand mark than Apple, it (the iPad) would have been long forgotten.....
    Kind of how I feel, the IPad it self is kinda new and is the new toy to get. Give it time more people will have one but then again every household pretty much has a laptop/pc as well. Tech really is everywhere.

Thank Post
    Grmbl, try doing this for 40 of the bl***y things....

-Fix Apple TV; put a damned option for Proxies in it please. I want to buy lots of them, but they are expensive bricks as long as I can't connect them to the internet because Apple don't want me to.
    Apple TV: Connections through proxy servers are not supported
    Apple TV needs a direct connection to the Internet to play content from the iTunes Store, obtain software updates, or view Theatrical Trailers and iTunes Top Movies/TV Shows/Music/Music Videos. If you are unable to connect to the Internet without a proxy, you will not be able to play this content or update the software on Apple TV.
    -Enterprise solutions for i devices; I want to create and save a layout for all my devices (same folders with same apps in) but at the same time, these are also personal devices, with different files, and some customised apps/preferences.
    Let me save my layout, and apply that layout to other devices without doing a "Backup" that wipes the whole content of the device and starts again.

-Account-based parental controls; what's the damned point in a device where if you set parental control options on the PC, they don't apply to the device that can download the same things from the same app store.

-Do what every single other phone and mobile device manufacturer on the planet has done, and use a standard USB connector, not your own propriatary one ffs. All other devices can share an identical charger/connector, why the hell can't you?

/rant

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ben604 View Post
    please tell me what you meant to say is:
    [sarcasm]
    [/sarcasm]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast