+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, iPad: Death of the Interface in General; I hate to break it to you, but the on-screen KB in Windows 8 does not have a caps-lock key, ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,186 Times in 1,004 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I hate to break it to you, but the on-screen KB in Windows 8 does not have a caps-lock key, and it too has a sperate numerical keypad. There is only so much room for a usable on-screen keyboard you see.
    I'd like to see a tab key however. Filling out online forms without one is a nightmare!!
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 27th September 2011 at 06:24 PM.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Exactly! I tried everything: Lynx, pheromone spray, even bathing! Now I have an iPad, the girls can't keep their hands off me!*

*May not be entirely true.
    Slaps don't count.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rydra View Post
    Grmbl, try doing this for 40 of the bl***y things....
    The iPhone configuration utility is a handy program as it allows you to use a computer to input the key and other settings into a profile (handy if you have a long/complex password) which you can then add to any ipod touch/iphone (and probably the ipad as well)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by computer_expert View Post
    The iPhone configuration utility is a handy program as it allows you to use a computer to input the key and other settings into a profile (handy if you have a long/complex password) which you can then add to any ipod touch/iphone (and probably the ipad as well)
    unfortunately it does little else in terms of proper config. we've just tried it to test out what profile we could create.
    the problem with that utility is with a fresh ipad, with a profile put on, a student can still go to restrictions, enter a fresh restrictions passcode (you can only set the lock passcode), change settings and then you dont know the restrictions passcode. it would have been handier to have the profile made by the utility to then lock out all settings and only allow access to them via a passcode

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    I hate to break it to you, but the on-screen KB in Windows 8 does not have a caps-lock key, and it too has a sperate numerical keypad. There is only so much room for a usable on-screen keyboard you see.
    I'd live to see a tab key however. Filling out online forms without one is a nightmare!!
    having now tried a winmo keyboard, android and ios keyboard, swype easily wins. the speed of inputting words, but also the keyboard having numbers over the letters, so a longer press (by miliseconds) adds a number instead of a letter. caps are done by just swiping above the keyboard during the word. all very intuitive and easy to use

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    unfortunately it does little else in terms of proper config. we've just tried it to test out what profile we could create.
    the problem with that utility is with a fresh ipad, with a profile put on, a student can still go to restrictions, enter a fresh restrictions passcode (you can only set the lock passcode), change settings and then you dont know the restrictions passcode. it would have been handier to have the profile made by the utility to then lock out all settings and only allow access to them via a passcode
    Surely the problem is that the iPad was not designed for corporate use, but as an executive/rich man's toy? It's only because people have bought into the Apple Gospel that everything will be better with an iPad that we are trying to shoehorn them into schools.

I can't believe I defended Apple! I feel dirty - must shower.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Surely the problem is that the iPad was not designed for corporate use, but as an executive/rich man's toy? It's only because people have bought into the Apple Gospel that everything will be better with an iPad that we are trying to shoehorn them into schools.

I can't believe I defended Apple! I feel dirty - must shower.
    Hey dont worry, I'm totally with you, but we've been asked to look into the viability of them here so I'm having to think of positives and negatives.
    The thing is, even the ipad adverts show that to a teacher its fantastic, so they are admitting it can be used in a classroom/medical/business/whatever environment. so to do that we must need to control how they are used, unless you want doctor thomas performing brain surgery while playing angry birds.
    the configu util they have is ok, but it does half the settings and leaves the rest. so as an end user you can be stopped from doing one thing with it, but have the option to change a lot of other things.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    having now tried a winmo keyboard, android and ios keyboard, swype easily wins. the speed of inputting words, but also the keyboard having numbers over the letters, so a longer press (by miliseconds) adds a number instead of a letter. caps are done by just swiping above the keyboard during the word. all very intuitive and easy to use
    I LOVE Swype! I have converted all my family (those with Androids!) to swype, as it is , by far, the easiest input method that I've found.

There is nothing like it for speed, accuracy, and intuitiveness. It does like it's American spellings though......!!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 759 Posts
    Here is a handy case I found on the internet with bluetooth keyboard integrated for £10 (Unfortunately I cannot remember where but a search on Google will suffice):

Case open:
    iPad: Death of the Interface-ipad-2-case-open.jpg

Case closed:
    iPad: Death of the Interface-ipad-2-case-closed.jpg

10. Thanks to bossman from:

GrumbleDook (27th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Where did you find that for £10?

I can barely buy a standard case or cover for an ipad for £10, let alone one with a bluetooth keyboard built in!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 806 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    I LOVE Swype! I have converted all my family (those with Androids!) to swype, as it is , by far, the easiest input method that I've found.

There is nothing like it for speed, accuracy, and intuitiveness. It does like it's American spellings though......!!
    I can't find it, has it's name changed to SlideIt? It's possible it just isn't out on Gingerbread yet...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I can't find it, has it's name changed to SlideIt? It's possible it just isn't out on Gingerbread yet...
    What phone do you have, Los?

On most recent Android releases, it comes as standard. You just need to go into the "Settings" > "Locale and Text" > "Select input Method" and Swype should be there.

If not, go to Swype | Text Input for Screens and sign up!

It revolutionises texting/tweeting/emailing, etc!

14. Thanks to aerospacemango from:

LosOjos (27th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,179 Times in 806 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aerospacemango View Post
    What phone do you have, Los?

On most recent Android releases, it comes as standard. You just need to go into the "Settings" > "Locale and Text" > "Select input Method" and Swype should be there.

If not, go to Swype | Text Input for Screens and sign up!

It revolutionises texting/tweeting/emailing, etc!
    I've got a Desire, think it might pre-date Swype somewhat! Registered and waiting for my email now

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LosOjos View Post
    I've got a Desire, think it might pre-date Swype somewhat! Registered and waiting for my email now
    I defy you NOT to love it!!

I had it installed on my LG GT540, so i know it'll work a treat on the desire!

Funniest thing happened to me at the weekend....

My brother, who has a HTC Sensation, had been on to me about Swype for ages, and despite me telling him where he could get it, he'd never actually taken the time to download it...... So, we're at my son's 7th birthday party, and he sidles up to me...

"Help me find Swype, cos it ain't on the market"

"Ok, let me have a look at your phone, first"

He hands it over, I go into setting, etc and what do I find? Settings for the native version of Swype

:facepalm:

D'Oh!!!

Thank Post
    Obligatory: "Why are you using a hidden SSID & WEP?".

Unless it's the guest network and the head really needs to play with his Wii at breaktime?

(Yes, I just wanted to inspire that mental image.)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast