+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Article: A (Quick) Guide to Windows Parental Controls in General; You can view the page at http://www.edugeek.net/content.php?r...ental-Controls...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,271 Times in 1,047 Posts
    Blog Entries

Article: A (Quick) Guide to Windows Parental Controls

Thank Post
    While your guide is good (and the controls seem decent), the child can trivially circumvent these by the same methods we all used as kids. Guess non-technical parent's passwords or read Post-IT note under keyboard. Create separate admin account that sounds official (as in, could be part of Windows) for own use. Optionally demote parent's account to normal user, block their favourite site(s) using parental controls. Feign innocence, watch non-technical parent believe parental controls locked them out. Chuckle as parental controls aren't used again.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    In my view these sorts of tools are best implemented for use with younger children who usually (though not always) lack the cunning you describe above. By the time they're old enough to figure the above out they probably have less restrictive access at school anyway. The best parental control is always supervision, but these are a good second line of defence. Thanks for the guide DB, I've honestly never tried these tools out myself so hadn't seen some of the screens you posted. Hope you don't mind if I pinch some for my next e-safety presentation?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @pete I think you have mis-read the article. All account restictions are managed via a Live account, not a local user account. You can even restrict a local admin account with parental lockdown if you wished (it's been a while since we've had a 'I've locked myself out of my own domain' post on here come to think of it!). And as AT pointed out. Once children get to a certain age they will need less restrictions placed upon them, however these controls will still allow you to monitor their activity even if they are allowed certain activities, and that counts for lots. No control system is perfect, but for a free suite of tools, this is very well thought out for the average parent to setup and administer, and does offer an excellent set of restrictions that can roam with the user.

@AT, feel free to use the pics. Just give us the credit for them eh?
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 22nd September 2011 at 09:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    @pete I think you have mis-read the article. All account restictions are managed via a Live account, not a local user account. You can even restrict a local admin account with parental lockdown if you wished (it's been a while since we've had a 'I've locked myself out of my own domain' post on here come to think of it!). And as AT pointed out. Once children get to a certain age they will need less restrictions placed upon them, however these controls will still allow you to monitor their activity even if they are allowed certain activities, and that counts for lots. No control system is perfect, but for a free suite of tools, this is very well thought out for the average parent to setup and administer, and does offer an excellent set of restrictions that can roam with the user.

@AT, feel free to use the pics. Just give us the credit for them eh?
    Yeah, I did skim that bit about Live integration. What happens if (say) the Live account is blocked (proxy server / dns issue / malware / server temporarily unavailable)? Does it go wide open / work from a cached copy / sulk and fall over?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    IIRC, it does cache, but I'll have to check this. I'll get back to you in a bit.Effectively you place restrictions on the Live account, not the user account, although you can enforce restrictions locally if no Live account is registered to the child.
    *Runs to cupboard to get laptop to find out*

7. Thanks to Dos_Box from:

pete (23rd September 2011)

Thank Post
    Secondary question then...

Is the local enforce the default failover or do you have to enable it explicitly?
    If a child unlinks the Live account from their local computer account, does it notify the parent that this has happened?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,155 Times in 1,474 Posts
    Blog Entries
    ...God damn Microsoft trying to take sole control of the computer market.

How long bofore it comes out that they're keeping an eye on what you're doing?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've set this up on my girlfriends laptop...via her live account.

Was very easy to do.

Made sure that the accounts in question were locked out after certain times, and although her kids moaned a bit (12 + 15) they've soon got used to it.

I will use this on my own 7 year old, in time!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @ Pete - Local computer policies can be set without the need for a Live account. The parent associates the Live account separately from the childs user account via the online parental controls panel, or as part of setting up the initial restrictions, although this is not compulsory. From here you can also associate the live account with user accounts of other PC's (see image). So long as the child has no access to the online control panel they cannot remove their Live account association.
    So if the child uses Messenger on another PC their MSN restrictions are automatically downloaded. For example. I have just created an administrator account on a laptop. The minute I signed in with my child s MSN (Live) details it immediately gave me a message telling me it had applied restrictions to the MSN account, However, as I have not tied this specific account to a computer it only restricts MSN and Hotmail. I've removed my kids names and email addresses from the screen grab below in case you're wondering why it looks a little wrong

Article: A (Quick) Guide to Windows Parental Controls-associated-accounts.jpg

This picture shows the computers I have restricted my sons Live/user account on via parental controls. Most of these are VM's in case you're wondering why I have so many computers
    Last edited by Dos_Box; 23rd September 2011 at 12:27 PM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread