+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Student Teachers. in General; What level of access do you give your student teachers? I have been giving them the same as teachers so ...
    Thank Post

Student Teachers.

What level of access do you give your student teachers? I have been giving them the same as teachers so they can change pupils passwords, add printer credit and write to the shared area's.

Now last week i had 15GB free on the server that does the shared area's. I got a phone call today saying that some staff could not write to the shared area, i have a look and there is 136kb of free space 8O . Any guess to where that 15GB went? Yep a student teacher had dumped 15GB of MP3's into the ICT Shared area.

So now i'm wondering if in future it might be better to give them the same level of access as normal students to stop little incidents like this.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Student Teachers.

No just beat said student teacher to death with your AUP.

Thank Post

Student teachers are a PITA. They always seem to arrive from universities with wonderful and unrestrictive systems. I'd love to hear if you are successful restricting access to student level for them!

I've never been able to do that; I would definitely delete the files without hesitation and watch them like a hawk.

Thank Post

We have mixed experiences.

Some are a pain, they think you're scum and that they have a right to print as much as they like, use any PC they like, have you fix things whenever they like and are ugly, rude and abnoxious.

Others are a joy, they're friendly, understand that paper and toner cost school money and it's for their benefit (plus at colleges they have to pay anyway so watch out some dont try printing off everything if you don't charge), don't pester to get things fixed and can be pleasant, happy and fit

We give them the same acces as Teachers here, but in effect all that does is enable them to access the Staff Area folders.
    They have to pay to print as I've said. They get about 40 free sheets then it's 5p each.

Thank Post

Just got a new Student Teacher in and she's a real PITA - actually no scrap that - she's bone bloody idle

apparently she was supervising a Yr7 class last week, but let them run riot in the ICT Suite, there was a mass of "confetti" where they had shredded all the printer paper into tiny bits, chewed them then "fired" them around the room using straws - so everything was covered in bits of paper
    Smartboard, Projector, Walls, TFT Monitors (only a few months old!!) - you name it.

Been getting similar reports from staff (and pupils!) about her "Dont give a sh*t" attitude..

Thank Post

They only get the same access as the kids here, never had a complaint yet.

Thank Post

We look at it from the point of view as, if there no contracted as such by the LEA they get student access, it goes the same for temp teachers.

Thank Post

I give them full staff access if the head of their department asks for them to get network access, not had any problems. I don't bother otherwise, a lot of the time it takes us so long to get email/internet logins back from our central IT department that the students have left..

No idea why they don't let me add them

Thank Post

Slightly biased here because my eldest son is a student teacher and he's wonderful of course!
    Do you mean students that are on placements? The students that are on placements at the schools I work just use the school computers, logon using a class logon and save work in the teacher's area.

Thank Post

I was once a student teacher, so I can only say if you get one that fills the system up like that you are quite within your rights to beat them severly with a big stick before banning them from using the system as they abused the first chance they got and its zero tollerance time.

Can't you tell I'm now working on the other side of the fence (well, OK I 'm sitting on the fence as I teach ICT to primary kids for half the week and tech support\manage four primary school systems the rest of the week )

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TechSupp
    Can't you tell I'm now working on the other side of the fence (well, OK I 'm sitting on the fence as I teach ICT to primary kids for half the week and tech support\manage four primary school systems the rest of the week )
    Sounds ideal.

Thank Post

Our student teachers have staff access.

'Staff' don't have administrative access (changing of student passwords for example we consider administrative).

MP3's are strictly outlawed on our systems unless it was produced in-house (rare). We can usually tell by filename, and if not a quick listen determines what the mp3 content is.

If we deem it as illegal we will delete it without hesistation.

Thank Post

Same as Friez, they have staff access but staff don't have any computer admin rights.

Nice Student teachers are suprised how we bend over backwards for them until we explain that a nice, good student teacher is a joy and should be helped. We had 2 really good ones this year. A few that never appeared on our radar (which is also good) one relative pain (Uses the ink jet printer in the staff room to print many 66 page pdfs rather than use the one in their office or the laser.) and one complete pain. She has obviously been to the old school teacher training where they try and be as useless as possible so we do it all for them. Plus comes into the office with random comments, almost as bad as the kids, about CCTV, printers, aliens, the weather etc etc etc.

Thank Post

Depends on how long they're here for. Ones on a 2-week placement to sit in on and help out in someone else classes just get student access and are monitored as much as you would any temporary guest on a system.

We're a training school of some description, so we have a fair few NQTs, and Graduate Teacher Placements (or similar) roaming around. The GTPs normally stay for a term or two and receive nearly full-time teacher access because they need it for reports and taking registers.

We've had a couple who were arsey when couldn't download and install $application, but most ask sensible questions and are enthusiastic.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by TechMonkey
    Nice Student teachers are suprised how we bend over backwards for them
    8O 8O 8O
    Tis Friday afternoon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast