+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Article: Is DropBox ok to use? in General; Originally Posted by mavhc Has that ever happened? There are a growing number of examples of schools being tackled for ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,118 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mavhc View Post
    Has that ever happened?
    There are a growing number of examples of schools being tackled for breaches of the DPA. At the moment this has resulted in them signing Undertakings so no fines (consider it a suspended fine ... not quite right but it should give an idea about what would happen next if anything goes wrong) but we don't know yet if this will have any impact on the next time OFSTED come to visit either ... and, unfortunately, that is likely to have more of an impact than the threat of a fine with some senior leaders.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Anyone point me towards an idiots guide to DPA for overworked School technicians?

Thank Post
    Just to address the balance occasionaly, can I emphasise Tony's comment about risk.

Si

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,493 Times in 1,934 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Has that ever happened?
    Also, kind of an irrelevant point - it doesn't matter if it has or hasn't happened. A geneticist has never created a hybrid human/lizard but the law is there to stop them before they do it. Whether or not a school has been prosecuted or sued for breaking a law is against the point.

Not to mention, as a school it is kind of the institution's job to teach moral strength. Breaking random laws because they aren't always efficiently enforced kind of teaches the wrong thing to our kids 'its ok to break the law if you can get away with it'. Not a lesson I'm a big fan of.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Has that ever happened?
    Nope!

Even the most serious breaches ended up with just a little paperwork.

Pointless discussion in my opinion.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zag View Post
    Nope!

Even the most serious breaches ended up with just a little paperwork.

Pointless discussion in my opinion.
    A little paperwork?
    Taking Action - Undertakings, Enforcement and Monetary Penalties - ICO
    How about you consider an undertaking as the equivalent of a caution?

But I have sent a formal request to OFSTED to get their take on whether it would have any impact on an inspection as well. I do know, from talking with a few companies, that they would hesitate to deal with schools who have signed an undertaking in case there is another issue and it drags them down too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    I don't think many/any ofsted inspectors have much of a clue about IT infrastructure, policies, procedures and how it impacts T+L at least thats why we as network managers never seem to meet Ofsted. Ofsted are teachers after all, and if SLT don't understand DPA you wouldn't expect Ofsted to.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CyberNerd View Post
    I don't think many/any ofsted inspectors have much of a clue about IT infrastructure, policies, procedures and how it impacts T+L at least thats why we as network managers never seem to meet Ofsted. Ofsted are teachers after all, and if SLT don't understand DPA you wouldn't expect Ofsted to.
    It isn't just a DPA issue, its also a Child Protection issue, and that is something that as far as I'm aware, all Ofsted inspectors are supposed to look out for.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    It isn't just a DPA issue, its also a Child Protection issue, and that is something that as far as I'm aware, all Ofsted inspectors are supposed to look out for.
    bet they don't though. We've consistently received 'outstanding' management, without a clear DPA policy in sight.

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh same, we got outstanding last year and Ofsted didn't even talk to me.

Its a non issue in my book.

Both dropbox and Skydrive are perfectly safe to use in schools as far as I'm concerned.

Thank Post
    It really is something that Ofsted should do though; In the past we got a lot of information from Becta. We still get information, and the occasional audit from the LA. I bet new academies and Free schools don't get any of this at all. Ofsted should up their game.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yeh same, we got outstanding last year and Ofsted didn't even talk to me.

Its a non issue in my book.

Both dropbox and Skydrive are perfectly safe to use in schools as far as I'm concerned.
    You think running a system where you know it is quite easy for staff to breach DPA is perfectly safe (i.e. dropbox) and you think it is a non-issue? In which case why don't you just stick up your home address, bank details, any interesting medical facts about yourself if you care so little for the DPA? Or is it that you just don't care because you don't think anything bad will happen to you personally if the people you work with get collared for it?

Do you not care about safeguarding?
    Do you not care about protecting children?
    Do you not care about protecting your colleagues?

If not ... then fine, we can happily ignore your contribution to the discussion.

If trolling ... then Meh! Considering the amount of hard work some people are doing to try and get this sorted in schools it is poor taste.

13. 3 Thanks to GrumbleDook:

CHR1S (20th September 2011), localzuk (20th September 2011), Oaktech (20th September 2011)

zag
    Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    What I don't understand is why Dropbox or Skydrive are any less safe than our VLE, My document shares, USB sticks, hard disks in a server room ect.

I have all kinds of confidential stuff on my personal drop box. But its protected with a username and password just like our other IT systems.

Just to explain where im coming from we use Skydrive everyday in a large secondary school. In the future I hope to move all our storage into the cloud just like I have our email systems which has already been a great success.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What I don't understand is why Dropbox or Skydrive are any less safe than our VLE, My document shares, USB sticks, hard disks in a server room ect.
    You have the admin password or at least know the people who do, the cloud services don't have that luxury so unless you are encrypting all of your stuff again before uploading it you have less knowlege about the conditions of its storage.

Personally its up to you what you want to do with your own data but when that data is the schools it is up to the school to take that into consideration.

You also have local speed access to it on a locally hosted VLE when at school, with a cloud service you are limited to internet speed all the time.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I have all kinds of confidential stuff on my personal drop box. But its protected with a username and password just like our other IT systems.

Just to explain where im coming from we use Skydrive everyday in a large secondary school. In the future I hope to move all our storage into the cloud just like I have our email systems which has already been a great success.
    It comes down to this - UK and EU laws are directly controlled by our own government and representatives. Countries outside the EU are not. They can do whatever they want with their own laws, and therefore do whatever they want with your data.

If you don't have the protections of the EU data protection laws when you host your data in the USA, what is to stop them from exploiting a weak state's data protection law there and selling your data? Or making it public? You'd have no recourse in the UK/EU, and you'd have no recourse in the USA as they would be abiding by the state law...

We are legally required to ensure the integrity and security of our data, it isn't that difficult. Skydrive is covered by SafeHarbour as Microsoft are a certified provider. Not only that, but the data is stored on servers within the EU. So whichever way they handle it, it is covered by the law.

Dropbox isn't.

17. 2 Thanks to localzuk:

Alis_Klar (25th April 2012), GrumbleDook (20th September 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast