+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
General Chat Thread, ....and it just exploded, sir... in General; Got a call from the farthest classroom in the school to say that their computer wouldnt turn on. They had ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,639 Times in 1,827 Posts

....and it just exploded, sir...

Got a call from the farthest classroom in the school to say that their computer wouldnt turn on. They had checked the plug, the switch on the back of the machine and everything they could think of so I went to have a look. Sure enough, no life from the machine.
    I just thought I would swap out the power cable - well, you never know - and as I plugged it in (the computer was still off, remember), it went BANG and frightened the life out of the teacher standing over me!
    I'm presuming that it is the power supply gone and that it blew the fuse in the original cable. I don't have any replacement PS as it is a big old one (which I DO have) but with SATA connectors (which I don't). Neither do I have any similar machines in school. So I will have to order a new one and hope that that motherboard isn't fried. There's nothing else I can do, is there?

I have had this happen before but it did make me jump a bit - just what you want first thing in the morning!

Thank Post
    has some kid been flicking the 110/220 switch on the psu?

you can get adapters to run sata drives from molex psu's if needed infact a lot of motherboards came with them so theres a posibilty yopu have some in a cupboard somewhere (or someone else local does)

3. Thanks to sted from:

witch (14th September 2011)

Thank Post
    There isnt a 110/220 switch on these PSUs. Didn't know about the adaptors but def have none.

Thank Post
    Had this once before in our science department. The whole school had been having major electrical issues. So anyway, this teacher phones up and says their machine will not power on or anything. So same as you, I take a power cable and go to replace it. There's a huge bang and flash. I was so shocked (not electrically) that my heart didn't slow down for quite some time. Needless to say for the next few months I took a fair bit of care when dealing with powerless machines.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    I don't have any replacement PS as it is a big old one (which I DO have) but with SATA connectors (which I don't). Neither do I have any similar machines in school. So I will have to order a new one and hope that that motherboard isn't fried. There's nothing else I can do, is there?
    You can always power it up without a hard drive to see if the mobo is still good, even if the PSU is the wrong size.

Thank Post
    All good advice, I would source a few of those adapters, even if from Ebay, theyre pence, and will be here as quickly as a new PSU.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Motherboard is probably fine, have had plenty killed by the 120/240 switch. At least you wern't listening to it when it blew. I had a tendancy of listening to PCs that were having power issues to see how far they got (drive spin up, post etc.) until I had my ear to the side of one when it blew like that. Hearing was wasted for the rest of the day in that ear.

9. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Earthling (14th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Had many PSUs blow up here, tends to be with a green flash which makes it fun. Not had a single one cause actual damage to the PC - new PSU and power cable and they're fine.

Thank Post
    What's the make/model of the PC? Got a few old ones here and at home, so might be able to find a compatible one?

I sympathise - my first job was upgrading old PC's, in paticular HP D530's (Which a slight breeze would blow the PSU's!). The majority of them I took out looked ok until I plugged them in and flipped the mains power back on...

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,350 Times in 928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We lost almost an entire suite this way over a period of a few month in our Science Department. We have since abandoned that as a computer room.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,749 Times in 2,322 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 3s-gtech View Post
    Had many PSUs blow up here, tends to be with a green flash which makes it fun. Not had a single one cause actual damage to the PC - new PSU and power cable and they're fine.
    Your air must be different up there, we usually get a lovely shade of blue plasma generated from such events. More argon maybe.

Thank Post
    Thanks guys. I can't use any other PSU until I get those adaptor things - but can I really power up the mobo with the wrong PSU?
    I still dont really get why it went that way - still, wasn't the first time and won't be the last I am sure!

sdc
    Thank Post
    We have one of these things; they're quite useful, too: PSU Tester: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 884 Posts
    but can I really power up the mobo with the wrong PSU?
    You can't really have a "wrong" PSU in a PC - it either has the necessary connections (which put out a standard voltage) or it won't. The only potential problem is a PSU not being powerful enough, though that wouldn't be a problem unless it's a high end machine or has a lot of drives drawing from it.

17. Thanks to LosOjos from:

Thank Post
    Thanks guys. I can't use any other PSU until I get those adaptor things - but can I really power up the mobo with the wrong PSU?
    <snip>)
    Yes, as long as the PSU has all the correct power connectors for the mobo, 20 or 24 pin power, 12v power etc., then take all the peripherals off, plug in a monitor and keyboard and press the button.

19. Thanks to Earthling from:

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information