+ Post New Thread
General Chat Thread, Help needed does anyone have any expertise on RM Storebox? in General; Hi I'm Bruce and I've work in the Educational AV Industry since 1997. A business colleague of mine has put ...

Thank Post

Thumbs up Help needed does anyone have any expertise on RM Storebox?

Hi I'm Bruce and I've work in the Educational AV Industry since 1997.

A business colleague of mine has put out an "all points" call for anyone who has dabbled with RM Storebox?

He's having some problems. are there any ex RM engineers reading this?

If you can contact me I'll put you in touch with him. pm for phone number many thanks
    Last edited by witch; 26th October 2011 at 09:29 PM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've dabbled a bit too much with them - will gladly help out on here but not via phone ATM, if you can relay anything in private message here or posting here I'm sure we can help. Probably not a great idea posting mobile numbers in public!

3. Thanks to synaesthesia from:

Brassman (13th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Hi buddy

i have been trying to get some urgent help with an RM Storebox at a primary school and a good pal of mine Bruce Brassington told me you posted a reply to him saying you might be able to help.

is this the case, if so how do i get in direct touch with you so my my engineer can talk it over with you

thanks, Jason

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    H1ugy, I've sent you a PM with my email address- will be happy to help over email.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    H1ugy, I've sent you a PM with my email address- will be happy to help over email.
    Hi buddy. Many thanks my engineer will be contacting you direct today

Many thanks again

Jason

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Unhappy

We have an old RM network in our school, now reduced to the ssmaster (running Classmate5) and the Storebox. However we can no longer access the Storebox and we need to download files that were stored on there. When you log onto the ssmaster it can not see any of the network drives. If you try and log onto the storebox direct it says the domain can not be found. I have a login name for the storebox but the password has expired. If you try and update it, it once again comes back saying the domain is unavailable.

Anyone got any clues or know of any RM Passwords for these old Storeboxes? RM say their support for the storebox ran out in 2007 and are just not prepared to help!

Cheers

Steven

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I still have a storebox knocking around, I do have this kind of nonsense (and lots of other irritating issues) and it all seems to be related to running out of memory.
    For me a reboot sorts it out for a while. Got to get rid of this damn thing soon.

Alternatively, stick the hard drive in a caddy or another machine and retrieve the files.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roundakela View Post
    We have an old RM network in our school, now reduced to the ssmaster (running Classmate5) and the Storebox. However we can no longer access the Storebox and we need to download files that were stored on there. When you log onto the ssmaster it can not see any of the network drives. If you try and log onto the storebox direct it says the domain can not be found. I have a login name for the storebox but the password has expired. If you try and update it, it once again comes back saying the domain is unavailable.

Anyone got any clues or know of any RM Passwords for these old Storeboxes? RM say their support for the storebox ran out in 2007 and are just not prepared to help!

Cheers

Steven
    Take the hard drive out of the storebox and put it in a storage enclosure/SATA/IDE kit and then read the data right off of the drive.

When we started doing IT for one of the local primarys they had a storebox with a simlar problem and just did the above.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Sparkesh, I don't think it is a memory issue as it was happily coping with 16 machines accessing before we dismantled the network and it has been rebooted several times since!

Jamesfed - this had been my initial reaction but another techy told me that as teh storebox was a 'server' that you couldn't just read the hard drive using a caddy. However I'm game to try anything once.

Someone else told me it was because it was not DHCP'ing anymore but that doesn't explain why I cant log directly into the storebox itself.

Any suggestions always greatfully recieved and will be tried. I've got a couple of caddy's at home so will git that a try.

Watch this space!

Cheers

Steven

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by roundakela View Post
    Jamesfed - this had been my initial reaction but another techy told me that as teh storebox was a 'server' that you couldn't just read the hard drive using a caddy. However I'm game to try anything once.
    Unless the drives inside in some form of a RAID array (say RAID 0 or 5) then the server drive is just the same as any normal PCs.

When we did the work on our primarys storebox it was just a single IDE drive with 80GB of storage and about 80% fragmentation - first reaction was how on earth is this still running!!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I've sent you a message with the default password scheme used for storebox systems.

And @ jamesfed : I still have a screen capture on here somewhere of one with 80% fragmentation - the solid block of red highly amused me! Wonder how the data was written for it to get so bad!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,644 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Storeboxes never had anything so fancy as RAID

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread