+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
General Chat Thread, Shoes Shoes Shoes in General; Brogues....
    Thank Post
    Brogues.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    I find it's always worth spending a reasonable amount on decent shoes if you can, and worth going to a proper shoe shop with people who can mesure your feet and fit you with a pair of shoes properly. Proper shoes can be repaired when they wear out, so are quite reasonably priced in the long run.

This especially holds for running shoes - it's worth going to a shop with a treadmill where they can accuratly measure your gait and recommend you particular trainers, even if it costs you £100 for a pair. Those can't be repaired when they wear out, and tend to last around 6 months, but you can use gel inner soles that you can switch to a new pair of trainers when the old pair is worn out.

--
    David Hicks
    I'm sure it's better for you having decent shoes that fit properly, but ... £100 every six months? I'm quite happy with a twenty quid pair of trainers that last me for a year

Thank Post
    Burtons, 2 pairs for 50pound, normally do me each pair last around a year. do 25pound a year for shoes isnt bad

i only ever bought shoes from shoe zone once and would never do it again they were just nasty.

as for trainers i buy the Nike Dart IV which just last forever and are only about 15pound.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    With size 15's I'm rather limited, and usually end up with something cheap that actually fits. Avoid any crap like "US Brass" like the plague.
    I tend to go for black trainers now as Reebok do up to size 17 for LESS money than more fashionable smaller feet!

Thank Post
    I wear Sanuks, they are like flipflops with uppers. I have some in pinstripe grey that look smart but have been refered to by some students as 'Slippers'. This being said they are the most comfortabel shoes I have worn. I'm looking forward to getting a pair of Vibram's when I have a little more expendable cash money as they are supposed to be the comfiest, even if a little wierd looking.

Thank Post
    vibram five fingers are really comfy, but look very odd

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by thepineapplehead View Post
    I'm sure it's better for you having decent shoes that fit properly, but ... £100 every six months?
    For proper running shoes that don't make my knees hurt, yes. My feet pronate a fair bit, so I need trainers that adjust for that - if I run in worn trainers my knees start to hurt. A decent pair of shoes for the office should last way longer than that, though, especially if you have them repaired when they start to wear.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,717 Times in 2,302 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I know that trainers were avoided by the OP but for those that can wear them I find trail running shoes to be really hardy. A bit pricey but they take a huge amount of punnishment and dry out overnight in the event it gets submerged in ice cold muddy water which is not as rare as I would like.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by synaesthesia View Post
    With size 15's I'm rather limited, and usually end up with something cheap that actually fits. Avoid any crap like "US Brass" like the plague.
    I tend to go for black trainers now as Reebok do up to size 17 for LESS money than more fashionable smaller feet!
    With a 15 year old son in size 12... you have my sympathies... and I'm starting another thread to find out where people buy their shoes Where's best for buying shoes in very large sizes?

rad
    Thank Post
    I wear pod from brantano only cos I can try them on without asking

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    I have a very nice pair of M&S Boots, was £35 in the sale last christmas and they are tough, they even did BETT in January, the full week I will add which was impressive and my feet were fine at the end of it

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,411 Times in 1,695 Posts
    I'm not the sort of gal who has hundreds of pairs of shoes, but....
    I have 13 pairs of boots ranging from short, flattish ones to short ones with high heels up to full length Clarks boots that are really comfy.
    I tend to wear boots most of the time other than in the summer because they are more comfortable on the heels and I am almost always in trousers anyway (can't crawl under a desk in a skirt - well, you can, but it does tend to bring the class to a bit of a halt! )

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    My work shoes are a pair of M&S footglove flatties that are dead comfortable... when they wear out, I simply order another pair online. If the weather is hot, I do break out a pair of (closed toe - H&S rules at school) sandals and during the snow, it was Walking Boots inside and out at school!

Like witch, I find skirts are completely impractical for crawling under desks, so I wear trousers too.

Thank Post
    I've had a couple of pairs of shoes from Terra Plana in Neal Street, Covent Garden, London:

Terra Plana | Ethical Shoes | Fashion Footwear

They make shoes out of recyled material and offcuts - you can get some very smart-looking leather outers but with trainer-like insides. The last pair I bought from there chafed rather so I don't tend to wear them, so make sure you try before buying. Terra Plana do have branches in places other than just London.

For boots, I have a pair of (at least) 20-year-old second-hand British army boots. The trick seems to be to buy a size too large for you and wear extra pairs of socks. I find I can actually run quite well in them, and their handy for when the weather's been wet/snowy (or, on one occasion, when a river got in the way) on the way to work.

Thank Post
    I have a pair of shoes and a pair of ankle boots that have lasted four years in almost constant use through autumn/winter, from Padders. I also like M&S footglove range, as some come up wide and I have small (size 4) fat feet! I'm fortunate, in that the Padders factory shop isn't very far away in Northants, so the boots only cost £14! Leather uppers and that much wear has to be good value.

Padders shoes - the favourite choice for wide-fitting comfort footwear.

I do wear skirts, but long length, and it's fun getting tangled in the hem when I'm crawling around under desks.... HSE please don't read!

16. Thanks to Andie from:

elsiegee40 (11th September 2011)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast