+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 55 in a 30 limit! in General; Originally Posted by Jose run flat tyres, technology moves on as we all should know working in IT.. Nothing new ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    run flat tyres, technology moves on as we all should know working in IT..
    Nothing new about run flat tyres.

Ben

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elsiegee40 View Post
    I had a terrifying experience on the motorway where I moved into Lane 3 at 75...
    So you admit to breaking the law - shame on you, the law is the law, fluffy bunnies will die the very second you exceed the carefully calculated limit as written in 10mph increments on lollies at the side of the road

mb

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CAM View Post
    That would just incite more road rage and encourage people to overtake. Whilst it isn't very pleasant doing 50 through the M25 widening and having HGV's on your rear bonnet, you just have to ignore them and let the averaging camera deal with it when they overtake.
    That was sooooooooooooooo annoying when I was on it during the summer, 50mph limit, set cruise control to 48 to ensure im nicely under in case of a slope downhill etc and wagons tooting and flashing lights, also I've noticed a lot of people on these roadworks the signs say STAY IN LANE or KEEP IN LANE, last time I checked my understanding of english and road signs that imply once you've passed the point that the stay in lane starts you stick in that lane thus if you happen to be in Lane 2 you stick in it till your told otherwise by signage etc, seemingly that is also not understood....

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Martin View Post
    So you admit to breaking the law - shame on you, the law is the law, fluffy bunnies will die the very second you exceed the carefully calculated limit as written in 10mph increments on lollies at the side of the road

mb
    Can't do it any more in my car. Got a spy in the cab (a smartbox) checking up on me. Still, it makes the insurance cheaper now my daughter can drive! If I want to burn rubber, I'll have to take Mr gee40's Volvo out! Opportunities are slim on the M25 though... getting beyond 3rd gear can be a challenge

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    [quiet] very surprised @EduTech has managed to not be brought up in this kind of thread.. [/quiet]

6. Thanks to EduTech from:

SimpleSi (10th September 2011)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    ...er, I don't 'scold' elsiegee dear - I'm not edugeek's mother!

A bit less jumping to conclusions by some on here would be good though
    According to a friend of mine who is a traffic cop, going up to 75 to overtake (if the person you are overtaking suddenly sped up for example) is fine and usually quite obvious to the police.
    He also says that whilst travelling in a straight line at very high speed is indeed reasonably safe, you are travelling so fast that you do not really have time to 'check the carriageway in front of you' before you reach a hazard, and so he doesn't advocate it at all.
    He sees a lot of accidents and does not feel that there is any particular breed of car that is any safer than any other - there are many many cars with good safety records and features, and many that do not have much in the way of these things
    Anyway, whether you agree with it or not, the law is the law, and we cannot choose which laws to obey.
    Last edited by witch; 9th September 2011 at 10:26 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,773 Times in 1,100 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The traffic police turn a blind eye, the reason is they know that speed is not the key issue on the M1,M6 etc, but if you start changing lanes, tailgating etc they will soon pull you over. You see just because a politician makes a law does not mean that the foot soldiers are going to enforce it.
    Actually, the foot soldiers are pretty keen on enforcing it too (certainly my mates who operate up and down M1 do) and since they see the end results of when it goes wrong the evidence they give to enquiries (which is what is passed on up the chain) is pretty spot on with its advice.

WHO have conducted significant evidence based research across the world and have made some very country-specific recommendations. This is then taken up by those completing research in the UK, who will also take into account the specific driving styles and attitudes of our drivers.

Speed is significantly linked to the probability of a crash / collision
    The probability of a crash involving an injury is proportional to the square of the speed. The probability of a serious crash is proportional to the cube of the speed. The probability of a fatal crash is proportional to the fourth power of the speed.
    If you want to read more on this then have a look at the research from Prof. John Whitlegg, who has done some work around the M6. You can find similar research done and published for ACPO, HSE, AA, IAM and many more.

Run flat tyres do not protect against mechanical failure of brakes / wheels, do not protect against oil spots, do not protect against flying debris. They will not save you should you have a sneezing fit and loose control. They will not save you in the event of you having a heart attack. They will not save you if something falls onto the road unexpectantly.

Thank Post
    @witch
    your friend is correct if a hazard was around a corner you would stand no chance of seeing it, but as someone that use M1.M40,M6 on a regular basis and averages at night around 115mph and even quicker on the M6 toll when its empty I can confirm that that there are not many sudden bends or twists. The M40 when the weather is bad is a pain, I slow right down to 55-60mph as the M40 is not as well lit as the M1.
    How your friend can claim that quality premium german saloon is not safer and have better brakes than a old metro driven by a single mum from a council estate without insurance is beyond me.

I drove old french cars for 13 years, as soon I went german I could feel the brakes were better, my wheels never skid as even if i try to hammer it a yellow triangle flashes on my dash and reduces the power to the wheels to ensure safety.
    Last edited by Jose; 9th September 2011 at 10:55 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,156 Times in 1,595 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    ...er, I don't 'scold' elsiegee dear - I'm not edugeek's mother!
    Oh, go on with you! As your triplet, I don't entirely accept your denial!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post
    Actually, the foot soldiers are pretty keen on enforcing it too (certainly my mates who operate up and down M1 do) and since they see the end results of when it goes wrong the evidence they give to enquiries (which is what is passed on up the chain) is pretty spot on with its advice.

WHO have conducted significant evidence based research across the world and have made some very country-specific recommendations. This is then taken up by those completing research in the UK, who will also take into account the specific driving styles and attitudes of our drivers.

If you want to read more on this then have a look at the research from Prof. John Whitlegg, who has done some work around the M6. You can find similar research done and published for ACPO, HSE, AA, IAM and many more.

Run flat tyres do not protect against mechanical failure of brakes / wheels, do not protect against oil spots, do not protect against flying debris. They will not save you should you have a sneezing fit and loose control. They will not save you in the event of you having a heart attack. They will not save you if something falls onto the road unexpectantly.
    Like I said in a earlier post, I make the decision not Prof whateverhisname is based on weather conditions, my cars condition and other traffic. If you service your car, keep it under warranty and if the garage tells you you need to change some tyres or brakes soon, tell the garage to keep the car 1-2 more days and do any work required. In other words keep your kit well maintained. Some people just get a car through it mot and don't bother replacing hings unless forced by a mot failure.
    Last edited by Jose; 9th September 2011 at 11:06 PM. Reason: spelling

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,308 Times in 1,623 Posts
    @witch
    your friend is correct if a hazard was around a corner you would stand no chance of seeing it, but as someone that use M1.M40,M6 on a regular basis and averages at night around 115mph and even quicker on the M6 toll when its empty I can confirm that that there are not many sudden bends or twists. The M40 when the weather is bad is a pain, I slow right down to 55-60mph as the M40 is not as well lit as the M1.
    How your friend can claim that quality premium german saloon is not safer and have better brakes than a old metro driven by a single mum from a council estate without insurance is beyond me.

I drove old french cars for 13 years, as soon I went german I could feel the brakes were better, my wheels never skid as even if i try to hammer it a yellow triangle flashes on my dash and reduces the power to the wheels to ensure safety.
    This is where I wish i had a second persona who isn't a mod. I say this as a geek, NOT a mod....

If you READ my post properly you would see that I did NOT say that my friend claimed that a german car wasnt better than an old metro - merely that there are many good cars and many bad cars - and that good ones arent just german ones. You appear to believe that only german cars are any good - a little blinkered, I think.
    Why the comment about a single mother from a council estate with no insurance? What has that got to do with anything? Why say it? Just prejudice. There are many old, unsafe cars driven by all sorts of people but as your argument revolves around the safety of the car I cannot see why the person driving it has any relevance at all?

You are still advocating breaking the law - would you be happy if everyone decided which laws they are going to obey?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GrumbleDook View Post

The probability of a crash involving an injury is proportional to the square of the speed. The probability of a serious crash is proportional to the cube of the speed. The probability of a fatal crash is proportional to the fourth power of the speed.
    That whole attitude annoys me about motoring. It seems to say "people are going to crash, so lets just make the crashes less fatal". Which is fair enough, but why not also focus on not having crashes in the first place? Speed kills. True, but only if you have an accident to go with it. I know plenty of people who have got done for speeding when they didn't have an accident, but I also know lots of people who have had accident through carelessness yet haven't been done. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Surely doing 60 in a 50 but in a perfectly safe manor is less dangerous than doing 30 in a 40 but paying no attention to the road. It just seems to me that the police should be focusing more on people who have no lane discipline, don't use indicators, mount curbs when parking, etc. I know why they do it as 31>30 therefore you broke the law, where as other aspects of motoring are subjective and thus harder to prove. It just seems wrong to me that you can be penalised for paying more attention to the road than to your speedo.

The law on speed is so black and white. Most residential streets are 30mph but doing 30 down them is highly dangerous, yet perfectly legal (unless a copper can prove what you were doing was dangerous). Doing 80 on an empty motorway is perfectly safe yet illegal... and we all know which one is most likely to get you 3 points.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 9th September 2011 at 11:35 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    That whole attitude annoys me about motoring. It seems to say "people are going to crash, so lets just make the crashes less fatal". Which is fair enough, but why not also focus on not having crashes in the first place? Speed kills. True, but only if you have an accident to go with it. I know plenty of people who have got done for speeding when they didn't have an accident, but I also know lots of people who have had accident through carelessness yet haven't been done. It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Surely doing 60 in a 50 but in a perfectly safe manor is less dangerous than doing 30 in a 40 but paying no attention to the road. It just seems to me that the police should be focusing more on people who have no lane discipline, don't use indicators, mount curbs when parking, etc. I know why they do it as 31>30 therefore you broke the law, where as other aspects of motoring are subjective and thus harder to prove. It just seems wrong to me that you can be penalised for paying more attention to the road than to your speedo.

The law on speed is so black and white. Most residential streets are 30mph but doing 30 down them is highly dangerous, yet perfectly legal (unless a copper can prove what you were doing was dangerous). Doing 80 on an empty motorway is perfectly safe yet illegal... and we all know which one is most likely to get you 3 points.
    you are very very unlikely to get done doing 80mph on a motorway unless its a temp camera due to road works where safety off workers is taken very seriously, quite rightly. If I'm on a motorway during the daytime I tend to hover around the 85-93 mark, this should keep you out of court should you lasered or photod.
    Unfortunately my parents car has a garage door opener on their car that causes inteference with most police laser guns, luckily if a laser tries to take a reading then it warns them to enable them to slow down and turn off the garage door opener to enable the laser to get a new reading. I only advise having one of these if you actually have a garage door that use that frequency otherwise its fairly pointless and a waste of money and could prevent a policeman getting a acurate reading of your speed.
    In order to improve your knowledge of known blackspots for serious accidents my mum has a gatso dectecter, this informs her when she is entering a high risk area so she can slow her speed as she goes through the high speed area reducing the chance of a accident.

Thank Post
    you are very very unlikely to get done doing 80mph on a motorway unless its a temp camera due to road works where safety off workers is taken very seriously, quite rightly. If I'm on a motorway during the daytime I tend to hover around the 85-93 mark, this should keep you out of court should you lasered or photod.
    Unfortunately my parents car has a garage door opener on their car that causes inteference with most police laser guns, luckily if a laser tries to take a reading then it warns them to enable them to slow down and turn off the garage door opener to enable the laser to get a new reading. I only advise having one of these if you actually have a garage door that use that frequency otherwise its fairly pointless and a waste of money and could prevent a policeman getting a acurate reading of your speed.
    In order to improve your knowledge of known blackspots for serious accidents my mum has a gatso dectecter, this informs her when she is entering a high risk area so she can slow her speed as she goes through the high speed area reducing the chance of a accident.
    So you are prepared to break the law but not take the consequences how hypocritical if you believe its right to do those speeds take the camera and argue in court

Also when muppets like brake say speed is involved in x percent of crashes they are wrong its 100% as if no car is moving they cant have an accident

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    I don't care what a website says, a person I trust entirely to be telling the truth got one for doing less than 35 in a 30 (which that website says). I most certainly trust him more than I trust a website made by our police, especially when the top 2 or 3 rungs of the ladder are up for corruption and fraud...

It always makes me laugh when you say something on the internet and then you get "yeah alright prove it". Next time I see him I'll get a borrow of his ticket, scan it and post it on here so that you can verify it
    I did say I have yet to see any evidence...I am quite happy to be proved wrong so if you can show me the ticket I would be very interested to see it...

You don't say whether your your trustworthy friend was caught by an automatic system or a real person...if he demonstrated the sort of attitude towards the police that you do then I am not surprised he got done...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011 LastLast