+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast
General Chat Thread, 55 in a 30 limit! in General; Originally Posted by Jose when I get in my car and drive on a motorway late at night to get ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    when I get in my car and drive on a motorway late at night to get home, I as the driver with the responsibilty for my passengers will make the decision on what speed is safe not a snooty govenment official. I will take all things into account, weather conditions, the quality of my car and ensure any speed is safe for this vehicle, also other road users, its not safe to go even at 50-60 if your stuck bumper to bumper.
    I think the biggest problem this country has is that most drivers aren't sensible enough to make those judgement calls, or feel they're adequately qualified enough to make a decision themselves. You only have to see how many people jump red lights or block box junctions to see that driving standards are at an all time low. I remember a time when if someone made a mistake on the road, they'd generally put their hand up and gesture an apology. Now if you dare to rebuke someone with your horn or lights you get nothing but abuse, road rage or even being followed.

But until this country has zero avoidable accidents on the motorway (I saw an amazing one a few weeks ago where a woman just pulled out into the middle lane and knocked a biker off. It closed the motorway for 4 hours and gridlocked all the surrounding roads, and daily see people driving too close and too fast) and no-one being caught by speed cameras then there is no way this government will reward any good driving.
    Last edited by Gibbo; 9th September 2011 at 12:14 PM.

Thank Post
    My wife and I were discussing the public information films that used to be shown many years ago, whatever happened to them? I still remember "Only a fool breaks the two second rule" even though I couldn't drive at the time it was shown. If some of those were revived it wouldn't stop all accidents but at least it might reduce the number.

Thank Post
    I got caught doing 49 in a 30 just recently. First time in 13 years riding motocycles.
    Anything over 39 and there's no chance of 'doing a course'. I got a 60 fine and three points. Which has made my car insurance go up, not that it's cheap anyway.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CESIL View Post
    All speedometers are legally not allowed to read more than the actual speed you are doing. You mean less
    Speed cameras are set to react to vehicles travelling at (((speed limit) + 10%) +2)) or at least they are in Hampshire. Not everywhere, the police in Cleveland do you for 1mph over
    Therefore if you drive according to your speedo then you are very unlikely to get snapped unless yours is very out of calibration. As above, depends what county you live in
    Tailgaters - I've never understood why people dismiss that as a reason you were a couple of mph over. People can pressure you into going faster, especially if they are driving a raggy old tranny van/hgv/etc. Besides which the whole point of speed limits is for safety correct? So how is it in the interest of safety to have someone 2 foot off your bumper so that when a kid steps out the guy behind pushes you straight into them?

Most of the time all you need to do is slow down even more and they get the idea, but I remeber once driving over the moors from the lakes at night with a HGV following me, he certainly forced me to do the speed HE wanted to do
    Last edited by j17sparky; 9th September 2011 at 01:08 PM.

Thank Post
    The (fixed) cameras in Northants have been switched off. Since then there has been an increase in drivers exceeding the speed limit, however, there has not been an increase in accidents.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by j17sparky View Post
    Tailgaters - I've never understood why people dismiss that as a reason you were a couple of mph over.
    The correct thing to do is to slow down until the gap they ARE willing to leave is appropriate for the speed. I picked up a speeding ticket for 36 in a 30 after someone pulled in behind me and insisted on driving 6in off my rear bumper - only after getting the ticket (and fuming for an hour or so) did the correct thing to do (and why it was the correct thing) click.

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    That would just incite more road rage and encourage people to overtake. Whilst it isn't very pleasant doing 50 through the M25 widening and having HGV's on your rear bonnet, you just have to ignore them and let the averaging camera deal with it when they overtake.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    I think the biggest problem this country has is that most drivers aren't sensible enough to make those judgement calls, or feel they're adequately qualified enough to make a decision themselves. You only have to see how many people jump red lights or block box junctions to see that driving standards are at an all time low. I remember a time when if someone made a mistake on the road, they'd generally put their hand up and gesture an apology. Now if you dare to rebuke someone with your horn or lights you get nothing but abuse, road rage or even being followed.

But until this country has zero avoidable accidents on the motorway (I saw an amazing one a few weeks ago where a woman just pulled out into the middle lane and knocked a biker off. It closed the motorway for 4 hours and gridlocked all the surrounding roads, and daily see people driving too close and too fast) and no-one being caught by speed cameras then there is no way this government will reward any good driving.
    I went to Germany on holiday last year on my bike. The Germans put everyone inbetween there and here to shame with thier driving skill displayed on the motorways. There are far too many people in the UK that have no idea how to use the motorway and as such it is dangerous and congested. People often stay in the outside lane when the other lanes are free and refuse to move over even when people aproach faster than them. I know this is sligtly off topic but rrrrrrraaahhhggg it drives me nuts.

I was told the 2 second rule too during my driving instruction. I remembered it from doing my CBT years ago.

I drive much slower in the car than I do on my bike, and when sticking to the posted limits you often get tailgaters. I find it's best to just plain ignore them or even slow by 5mph. Getting het up about it does nothing, letting them make you drive faster than you want to is also pointless. rant(s) over o/

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pcstru View Post
    The correct thing to do is to slow down until the gap they ARE willing to leave is appropriate for the speed. I picked up a speeding ticket for 36 in a 30 after someone pulled in behind me and insisted on driving 6in off my rear bumper - only after getting the ticket (and fuming for an hour or so) did the correct thing to do (and why it was the correct thing) click.
    whenever i get tailgated i slow right down, i even do this if i think the driver behind isnt paying attention, i had some woman driving behind me the other day who was applying lipstick while looking into her rear mirror, this lead me to slow down to 10MPH(i was in a 30MPH), i only sped back up when she start to wave her arms and swear at me

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Flakes View Post
    whenever i get tailgated i slow right down, i even do this if i think the driver behind isnt paying attention, i had some woman driving behind me the other day who was applying lipstick while looking into her rear mirror, this lead me to slow down to 10MPH(i was in a 30MPH), i only sped back up when she start to wave her arms and swear at me
    hehe, I like that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by localzuk View Post
    Driving at high speed on public roads is simply not safe, regardless of your individual car or driving skills.

Roads are not single user places, there are many users on them - even at night. So, even though you may think you're driving safely, what happens if a car in front of you does something stupid? You've not got the time to react at such high speeds, even with all the safety devices on modern cars.

Or how about when you're driving along a road at 110+ and you don't see that the road ahead is strewn with glass or similar, it damages your tires - that can be enough to cause a fatal accident.

Also, saying you make the decision and not 'a snooty government official' - that is the height of selfishness. You live in a society that has rules there. If you disagree with having a government, may I suggest a change of surroundings? I hear Somalia is nice this time of year...
    dosent need another person just debris at 70 you might avoid it (or less dangerous if you dont) 100+ much less chance (yes the highway code braking distances are based on a ford anglia and a modern can could stop much quicker but it will still stop quicker from 70 than 100

Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post

again sometimes red lights are pointless at 3am without a car on the road it does seem daft they dont turn off junction lights and let traffic sort it self out as it is annoying to have to stop for no reason (not condoning jumping red lights but i can see in certain situations why you would)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sted View Post
    again sometimes red lights are pointless at 3am without a car on the road it does seem daft they dont turn off junction lights and let traffic sort it self out as it is annoying to have to stop for no reason (not condoning jumping red lights but i can see in certain situations why you would)
    Havent they done something with turning the trafic lights off somewhere in the UK.. yes they have, googled it. Seems like they have trialed it in a few places and found that more people take more care and trafic moves better, hehe, turn em all off!!

BBC News - Traffic lights to be switched off in Bristol trial

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyLlama View Post
    Havent they done something with turning the trafic lights off somewhere in the UK.. yes they have, googled it. Seems like they have trialed it in a few places and found that more people take more care and trafic moves better, hehe, turn em all off!!
    Only 40 years late. They were doing this when I was in Germany in the 70s. One way was on amber continually which meant you gave way.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by creese View Post
    Only 40 years late. They were doing this when I was in Germany in the 70s. One way was on amber continually which meant you gave way.
    Sounds good to me.

-28 31' 48.89", +28 25' 37.42" ... if only.
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SmellyLlama View Post
    Sounds good to me.
    Makes complete sense. No sitting at lights waiting at 1 in the morning for filters and phases with no one else in sight.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast