+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
General Chat Thread, 55 in a 30 limit! in General; Originally Posted by mattx I thought points meant prizes...... they do, and remember if you are going through an accident ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mattx View Post
    I thought points meant prizes......
    they do, and remember if you are going through an accident hotspot.....what is a hotspot not?...........

2. 2 Thanks to MK-2:

Hightower (8th September 2011), mattx (8th September 2011)

CAM

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MK-2 View Post
    I didn't say they were the same severity, but they are both still equally illegal. I myself know there is an area on my drive home where its NSL but 40 uphill to get to it, so by the time i get to the NSL sign I'm over 40. I know that, but if I were fined/penalised for it, I can't blame anyone but myself.

as for the 20 zones. does that mean that you should be allowed to do 30 in a 20 zone just because its not a schoolday? so parents should keep kids away from any 20 zone on a weekend because its fair game then?

I am not arguing that speed cameras are primarily for money making, but it still doesn't escape the fact that the specified speed limit is the law, despite what we might think about it being safe to speed up before. something doesn't become legal just because we disagree with it or its implementation
    So, a road goes 30 for many years then someone at the council decides it is "policy" to make it a 20 as it is near a school. Why is it suddenly not suitable for being a 30 road when the school is not in use? Roads in my area were not made 20 zones for safety reasons, they were made 20 zones for the sake of policy (even though the same council has one school sitting on a 40 road that isn't changed simply because it is a major route into London, why is that not a 20?).

Thank Post
    Unfortunately, the main problem is that the signing of speed limits is using old tech (e.g sign in ground) but the policing of it is using new tech (cameras) (And its used assertively ).

So, mainly for economic/ergonomic reasons, whole stretches of road are at an average limit that don't make a lot of sense.

Once all cars have computer controlled GPS speed limiters (a la co-op scheme mentioned) reporting transgressions direct back to DVLA then it'll become a non-issue.

I myself, have written an Android app that takes speed limits from the Openspeedmap database and tells me the current speed limit (and warns if more than 10% over). Its automatically launched when I plug power into it in the car and saves me from the same fate as my daughter.

Trouble is - she's a Iphone girl

Si

Thank Post
    @Jose
    I feel a lot of pain coming your way!
    Si

PS for late-comers - Jose's tales of their own driving experiences/advice on avoiding correct driver prosecution (which has been deleted ) were not - lets say - views likely to be held by most UK citizens
    Last edited by SimpleSi; 8th September 2011 at 10:53 PM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 625 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    @Jose
    I feel a lot of pain coming your way!
    Si
    .....Like a head smashing into a windscreen type pain ?

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,294 Times in 1,693 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose View Post
    Remember after next year car insurance policies cannot take gender into account so her premium will be the same as a man of the same age and driving record etc.
    Your advice is not helpful, it's illegal. Not something that is ever condoned on these boards. That's not me being a leftie; that's the rules.
    Last edited by witch; 8th September 2011 at 10:25 PM.

Thank Post
    .....Like a head smashing into a windscreen type pain ?
    unlikely my cars got over 4 airbags

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    I thought points meant prizes......
    Matt you don't work in a school anymore and thus they don't

As for your App Si, why not get a TomTom and keep it in the car? Mine has speed limit warning on it and makes a noise if i go over the limit by more than 5mph (user adjustable) and you don't need to be mapping the route to use it just have it turned on.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Darn it ... a traffic thread and I missed all the fun.

As for those with SatNavs / Apps I have always wondered why people set the alarm / notification for when they are x% *over* the speed limit ... surely you should all be setting it to either the speed limit or 2% below to speed limit? The idea is not to try and reach the target of the speed limit and then stop yourself from going over by too much, but to make sure that you don't go over at all.

Thank Post
    why not get a TomTom and keep it in the car?
    Cause I've got a 'droid and i can make it do anything I want it to
    Why buy something when you can make it for nowt
    And also I'm a true hunter-gatherer and I'd rather drink Gateshead Brown Ale than use a Sat-Nav

surely you should all be setting it to either the speed limit or 2% below to speed limit? The idea is not to try and reach the target of the speed limit and then stop yourself from going over by too much, but to make sure that you don't go over at all.
    Sometimes the man speaks sense
    I have been thinking about changing the behaviour at the lower limits (esp 30) because it's still easy to get caught doing 34/35 before managing to correct your speed but 10% over is fine for motoway/NSL as its a lot easier to keep below the "hard ceiling" of 10%+2mph.

It is quite amazing how you back up traffic behind you when obeying the law

Simon

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post
    It is quite amazing how you back up traffic behind you when obeying the law

Simon
    Couldn't agree more... get far too much tailgating. It's a shame the reversing sensor can't be wired up to scream (outside... not at me) when anything gets too close behind!

13. Thanks to elsiegee40 from:

SimpleSi (8th September 2011)

Thank Post
    my post has gone, rather than edit one line out she has removed lots of usefull information on road sfety that could have saved lifes.

Its funny how GrumbleDook did not feel the need to edit or remove it, can you please put the rest of it backup regarding motorway safety as it could help save lifes.
    Sorry for using the W word but I take road safety very seriously and like to share my experience and advise with others to improve theirs.

Thank Post
    my post has gone, rather than edit one line out she has removed lots of usefull information on road sfety that could have saved lifes.

Its funny how GrumbleDook did not feel the need to edit or remove it, can you please put the rest of it backup regarding motorway safety as it could help save lifes.
    Sorry for using the W word but I take road safety very seriously and like to share my experience and advise with others to improve theirs.
    Grumbledook can't edit or remove posts. He isn't a mod. Nor am I.

Thank Post
    but I take road safety very seriously
    How can anyone who admits to regularly driving at seriously OTT speeds be considered as taking road safety seriously?

The only people who deserve respect for driving at such speeds are advanced police drivers.

Si
    Can I use the word plonker?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,827 Times in 1,134 Posts
    Blog Entries

Not a Mod or Admin ... I am a bit lost on this one. If you think that someone has unfairly edited a post I would suggest using the "Message The Admins' section to ask.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast